M51 take 2

Post your DSO images here.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M51 take 2

Post by Mac »

I had hoped to get 5 hours on M51 last night. However Murphy was in the neighborhood and I had a setting in the scheduler wrong, as a result the image was not centered.

Half way through, a Meridian flip occurred and the image was of course, up-side-down but also off-center. So I was unable to integrate the last two hours of data. :(

48 x 4 minutes under 50% illuminated Moon, Optolong LP filter with the new Orion .8 reducer that I received yesterday.
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 10.23.28 AM.png
4081151.jpeg
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: M51 take 2

Post by helicon »

Great pic Mac and I really like how you have highlighted the other galaxies in the field of view.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

helicon wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm Great pic Mac and I really like how you have highlighted the other galaxies in the field of view.
Thanks Michael, Astrometry.net is a great resource. Upload your image and it outputs the image you see.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

M51A-2.jpg
Steve

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

That's cool!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Very nice, Mac! I like the annotated image, too. I'll be posting my M51 grab later today along with M13 from 4/1/2020. Nothing spectacular, but my first galaxy grab with my Meade 10inch f/10.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am Very nice, Mac! I like the annotated image, too. I'll be posting my M51 grab later today along with M13 from 4/1/2020. Nothing spectacular, but my first galaxy grab with my Meade 10inch f/10.
Thanks Henry. The annotation is great and helps me to remember what many of them are.

I need to create a place to catalog and store the pictures on my website. Look forward to your images.
Steve

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice and bright Steve!

Waiting for this target to get a bit higher over the light dome to image it for my second time (since last year).

Yeah, Astometry.net is cool and fun!

Nice work!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Thanks Jim, I had another hour+ of images upside down and couldn't be aligned.

I am just getting the hang of this scheduler and didn't have a check box ticked to repeatedly plate solve until the image is within a set amount.
Steve

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:36 am Thanks Jim, I had another hour+ of images upside down and couldn't be aligned.

I am just getting the hang of this scheduler and didn't have a check box ticked to repeatedly plate solve until the image is within a set amount.
Very important check box for sure!

APT by default plate solves to 50 pixels which works good for me.

I’m sure that your apps are similar, but between PHD2 and APT, there are probably 500 different settings to master!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:48 pm
Mac wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:36 am Thanks Jim, I had another hour+ of images upside down and couldn't be aligned.

Very important check box for sure!

APT by default plate solves to 50 pixels which works good for me.

I’m sure that your apps are similar, but between PHD2 and APT, there are probably 500 different settings to master!

Yes it is. I need to work on rotation of the camera to match prior captures hoping to integrate the new frames.
Steve

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 pm
Yes it is. I need to work on rotation of the camera to match prior captures hoping to integrate the new frames.
Camera rotation will be an issue for me for future whenI re-image a target. I wish that the ED102 focuser was indexed for reference.

I need to come up with something.
Jim

mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Jim,

I wonder if a 3D printed part would work well as an indexer. Print something with the correct profile and attach it just below the thumbscrew for setting the angle. The thumbscrew could be the index position and put a variety of scribes on the printed part.

Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0