M101 (but wheres the magenta??)

Post your DSO images here.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M101 (but wheres the magenta??)

Post by Jockinireland »

So, got out again with the new rig but cloud rolled in after 2 hours on target - had been scheduled to get 5 or 6 hours but hey ho!

Not nearly enough time on the target but I gave it my best effort :roll: - probably overdone it a bit - I really need to learn when to stop. But I just kept looking for the magenta Ha patches but they are just not there. Camera is Ha modded and has shown the red in other images so i dont really get it. i'll try to add some Ha to it with my Ha clip in another day.

Anyway;
SW 80ED, SW 0.85FR/FF
NEQ6
Modded EOS1100D
Guided with SW Evoguide 50ED ZWO ASI120mm Mini
29 X240s ISO 800
M101final j.jpg
Comments and suggestions for improvement, as always, gratefully received.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
dritter
Moon Ambassador

Re: M101 (but wheres the magenta??)

Post by dritter »

To take a wild guess, to pull out the Ha, maybe you need to expose longer?

Generally, Ha is really faint and when taking images of Ha nebula in our galaxy, my exposures usually range from ten to twenty minutes each, depending on the target and speed of the scope. That is with an Ha filter in place and on a CCD camera. So it's not really comparable.

With an OSC camera and no filter, going that long would probably just cause horrible saturation so very long exposures are probably not the answer you are looking for.

And in this case, the Ha is in another galaxy so I'm not sure how well my experience translates anyway. Still, if nobody has a better suggestion, maybe try exposing longer just to see. I did do an OSC version of this galaxy some time ago and used a mix of 5 and 6 minute exposures. A tiny bit of magenta showed up for me, but it's pretty faint and it looks a lot like flaring off nearby stars rather than Ha areas in the galaxy. Still, I'm no expert on this, so maybe it is Ha that I picked up.
Dave
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great little image considering you didn't get in the exposure times you wanted. Thanks for the share Jock!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

I had another go at processing this and tried to calm it down a bit. Looks better i think but still needs much more time on target.
St-avg-M101_nor-AAD-RE-noMBB-Startools1 plus ps.jpg
Full res image is here https://astrob.in/e2q9je/0/
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I really can't decide between the two, though the second does pull out the fainter details. Well done on both counts, David! :D

Nice to see you got some clear skies and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice David!

I know, it it hard to know when to stop. The only time I know when to stop is when I have really good data and the image kind of just snaps into place. That almost never happens!

I like your second version better. Did you process with Startools?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm Very nice David!

I know, it it hard to know when to stop. The only time I know when to stop is when I have really good data and the image kind of just snaps into place. That almost never happens!

I like your second version better. Did you process with Startools?
Hi Jim

i started in Startools but really was not getting anywhere good so went back to PS - the first is what came out of that. I was not satisfied with that so went back to startools, took some more time and care, tried more parameters and ended up with the second version which I think is better. I'm still not wholly satisfied with it but that I think is the shortage of integration time really and i wont improve it till I have more data.

Take care

David

chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Nice image David!

it looks to me like it is slightly out of focus, which could be a factor in pulling the more subtle colors out. If you do not have an autofocus, I would recommend using a Bahtinov mask with the Bahtinov Grabber or similar freeware to get all the way into the CFZ. Also, re-focus every 1.5 or 2°C as focus will change with temperature. Hope this helps!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

That's a pretty nice M101 with only 2 hours on target!
I have a pretty fast set up (F4.1 after the come corrector) and I was able to get 1:45 on this the other night and I wasn't happy with it.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

chartram wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 am Nice image David!

it looks to me like it is slightly out of focus, which could be a factor in pulling the more subtle colors out. If you do not have an autofocus, I would recommend using a Bahtinov mask with the Bahtinov Grabber or similar freeware to get all the way into the CFZ. Also, re-focus every 1.5 or 2°C as focus will change with temperature. Hope this helps!

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for this. Yes I do see what you mean. But I did use a Bahtinov and the Bahtinov tool in APT. But I really struggled to get it to settle at "in focus" - it was moving around +/- 0.02 - 0.04 or so from 2in focus" to "focus is close". I was putting it down to seeing although I was stacking a good number of images (right up to the max 40) within the Bahtinov tool. This was my very first time using the Bahtinov with this set up and I thought it would be alright.The scope had several hours out before this run started andthe temp was not really changing that night over the minimal capture period so I dont think that was a factor this time

Anyway, thanks for your observation- I'll need to work harder on focus next time.