Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

M95 Group In the Dew

Post by Juno16 »

Hi All,

I was very fortunate to be able to get out last night after a month or poor skies. Even luckier that I was able to get the old newt out the night before for an hour to view double stars before the clouds moved in.
The night was fun, but unfortunately there were some mishaps. A significant one too!

I wanted to image this M95, M96, and M105 group mainly because of its position in the sky. I haven’t seen this group imaged much on the forum. Probably because it is really not that remarkable. The group of mag 9+ galaxies are somewhat small in my fov. The Leo Triplet is what I would like to shoot, but I wanted to get off and imaging as early as possible.

As things would have it, I had some issues. Took a bit to get the camera/focuser angled just right to include all the members of the group. The Aim function in Astrophotography Tool’s Pointcraft took me a few tries. I neglected to save the scope coordinates to return to after the flip, so I had to do some guessing to re-find the center post flip. All worked out though. The killer issue was that after I finished imaging, I noticed that the scope objective was completely fogged over! Dang!

I had the power to the homemade dew heaters at 75%. When I finished imaging, the mount was dripping wet. I need to pay better attention.

One of my goals tonight was to try shooting my Nikon D5300 at iso 200. I read a good bit on the internet about the low noise advantages. My histogram for 240 second exposures was just barely off the left margin. Interesting, but with the dew issue variable included, not sure what to make of the experiment, but it is pretty much trashed due to the dew.

I just threw all of the 45 light frames (stacked at 90% in DSS), 15 darks, 20 flats, and 20 bias into DSS.

Processed in Startools and didn’t expect much. No winner image here, but I did get something though which I can live with especially considering the dew issues.

Hey Bob [mention]bobharmony[/mention] I did try binning at 71% as opposed to 35% and got better results even though the sky was light gray from poor seeing. Interesting!
M95-M96-M105 2nd pass autodev 71 bin.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: M95 Group In the Dew

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a fine quintet Jim, all things considered. Seems the iso experiment was ok.

My last outing was a 3200 affair and I had planned on using a lower iso, longer exposure next time.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I like the widefield shot of this area. The individuals may be small but they make a nice grouping. Interesting news about the binning. Ivo talks about having detail at a level that covers one pixel as being optimum, but I confess to having a hard time figuring out how to tell when the data meets that criterium. Nice job, Jim!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 pm That's a fine quintet Jim, all things considered. Seems the iso experiment was ok.

My last outing was a 3200 affair and I had planned on using a lower iso, longer exposure next time.

Regards

Graeme
bobharmony wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:28 am I like the widefield shot of this area. The individuals may be small but they make a nice grouping. Interesting news about the binning. Ivo talks about having detail at a level that covers one pixel as being optimum, but I confess to having a hard time figuring out how to tell when the data meets that criterium. Nice job, Jim!

Bob

Hi Graeme and Bob,

I was really set back when I saw the dew all over the lens! Just got too comfortable with the dew heaters and didn’t check.
When the dew-point hit, they just got overwhelmed. I’ll crank it up all of the way next time.

Of course, the dew variable really trashed the low iso test. Not sure when I will try that again. Probably go back to iso 800 next time.

Yeah, Bob, the binning issue is interesting. The image was major challenged I am sure from the dew, but binning at 71% definitely did make a noticeable difference. If I was on my old pc, 71% wasn’t really workable because of the time factor. With the new pc, it isn’t an issue at all.

Thanks
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is nice, Jim, in spite of the fog!
Thank you.
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Awesome! Well done, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Well hello again Jim. More good news from you. I love this wide angle image that you processed. Besides M95, you caught M96, M105, NGC 3384, and NGC 3373. And, I understand the dew problems. Here in Florida, we are starting to get some nice warmer weather now and a few clear skies, but the darn humidity is always between 85% to 92%. Everything is wet outside! Thanks for sharing your excellent capture with us Jim, and the very best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Very NIce Jim!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice image Jim. If there was a dew issue I don't see any trace of it in this image. The stars look nice and "tight".

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 am Nice image Jim. If there was a dew issue I don't see any trace of it in this image. The stars look nice and "tight".

Steve
Thanks Steve,

I was hoping for more definition on the galaxies, but was happy that at least I could salvage this image.

I did notice when shooting the subs, that the stars looked pretty good. Actually, better than the last few sessions when the total rms error was much better (0.7 arcsec). This session the total rms error ranged from 0.9 - 1.3 arcsec and got I better stars. I really don't get that.

The dew was definitely there in a big, big way. I would say that 75-85% of the objective was dewed over. I imaged for about 2 1/2 hours and most of it was with the scope pointing up. I need to be more aware. I got lazy. Just a super wet night. Everything was dripping wet! Live and learn ( or re-learn!).

Thanks again Steve and everyone else that responded!
Jim

Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Awesome!
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Sweet, Jim. I'm going to have to target that galactic group some day. Thanks for posting. Very nice despite the far less than ideal sky/weather conditions.

I have my own story to tell about my last sky safari several days ago when fog banks descended on my viewing site 45 minutes into my photo session. I hadn't even finished putting the final touches on re-collimating my Orion 6-inch f/4 astrograph using M42 as a target object when fog banks showed up on the horizon. I'll post the imaging results shortly. In fact, by the time I had finished by two-star alignment both the main tube and the piggy-backed Meade 70mm were dripping with heavy dew much like your experience. In fact the humidity and fog was so bad that I couldn't even use the Orion 6-inch because the mirror was fogging up despite a shower cap on the mirror end and twelve inch long dew cap on the other end.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well Jim, I know I'd be very happy with that! Clear skies are a rare thing these days, but hopefully things will get better with the planet-wide reduction in emissions... Trying to see a bright side here :D

All the best and hope it clears for you,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC