M81 and M82

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M81 and M82

Post by bobharmony »

I got out on Saturday night for an AP session. It was clear (obviously :)) and rather cool with a brisk breeze. I have been planning to capture M81 and M82 for a while and got out as early as possible. I was set up by 8:20 local time and collecting data. I wound up with 85 three minute subs and in the end stacked 70 of them with 70 darks I collected in December, 81 flats, and my trusty master bias frame. Only one sub needed to be dropped due to tracking issues, the others were taken in the light bubble on my northern horizon and had too bright a background.

Guiding was fantastic again with RMS running .20-.30 arcsec in both DEC and RA and hovering around .40 overall. This is the second consecutive session with RMS error in this ballpark. The only change I made that is common to these two sessions is removing the vibration dampening pads from under the tripod legs. Is this what caused the improvement? I can't say, I just report my observation.

For a change, I got my best result from StarTools by not binning. Maybe the seeing was better than usual, and maybe that contributed to my excellent guiding results.

In any case here it is. Comments and questions are welcome.
Last 70 lights ST.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: M81 and M82

Post by helicon »

Fantastic image Bob. Thanks for sharing it.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice image Bob! Your excellent guiding and lots of subs really paid off.
No binning? Hmmm. Interesting. Never tried that. Did the lack of binning significantly slow Startools?

Your guiding is amazing. Stars look great. You really had an excellent evening of imaging! Really feels good when that happens!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Beautiful image, especially for a visual only type like me. It helps to see what they actually look like when you are star hopping.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:44 pm Very nice image Bob! Your excellent guiding and lots of subs really paid off.
No binning? Hmmm. Interesting. Never tried that. Did the lack of binning significantly slow Startools?

Your guiding is amazing. Stars look great. You really had an excellent evening of imaging! Really feels good when that happens!
Did not binning slow things, Jim? Oh, yes. But it was worth it in the end. I did my usual bin to 35% first and tried to pull out any detail with HDR and deconvolution. M82 was particularly hard to get anything from, just a small smudge in the central portion of the galaxy. I went to 50% and got a little more. At full size I didn't have to do any deconvolution at all. The detail just popped out and I was able to get a bit more using HDR "reveal core". I was much happier with that. I'm thinking of going back to the Rosette one more time and trying it without binning to see what happens.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:28 am
Did not binning slow things, Jim? Oh, yes. But it was worth it in the end. I did my usual bin to 35% first and tried to pull out any detail with HDR and deconvolution. M82 was particularly hard to get anything from, just a small smudge in the central portion of the galaxy. I went to 50% and got a little more. At full size I didn't have to do any deconvolution at all. The detail just popped out and I was able to get a bit more using HDR "reveal core". I was much happier with that. I'm thinking of going back to the Rosette one more time and trying it without binning to see what happens.

Bob
Bravo on experimenting! Really paid off!

I will give that a try hopefully soon. Not too optimistic because my seeing is usually poor and the lp is at a disturbing level, but won’t hurt to try!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 pm I got out on Saturday night for an AP session. It was clear (obviously :)) and rather cool with a brisk breeze. I have been planning to capture M81 and M82 for a while and got out as early as possible. I was set up by 8:20 local time and collecting data. I wound up with 85 three minute subs and in the end stacked 70 of them with 70 darks I collected in December, 81 flats, and my trusty master bias frame. Only one sub needed to be dropped due to tracking issues, the others were taken in the light bubble on my northern horizon and had too bright a background.

Guiding was fantastic again with RMS running .20-.30 arcsec in both DEC and RA and hovering around .40 overall. This is the second consecutive session with RMS error in this ballpark. The only change I made that is common to these two sessions is removing the vibration dampening pads from under the tripod legs. Is this what caused the improvement? I can't say, I just report my observation.

For a change, I got my best result from StarTools by not binning. Maybe the seeing was better than usual, and maybe that contributed to my excellent guiding results.

In any case here it is. Comments and questions are welcome.

Bob
Hi Bob, thats a great image. Can I ask which scope you used for that?

David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Jockinireland wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi Bob, thats a great image. Can I ask which scope you used for that?

David
Thanks, David. I used the C6N for this. The ST-80 is dedicated as a guidescope for the most part. This image is slightly cropped, more to remove stacking artifacts than for any other reason.

Bob

Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Very Nice Job Bob :)
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Well done, Bob!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice capture Bob - Those two make a lovely compliment to each other.

I envy your guiding, I'm happy when my total RMS is at 1" or under.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Well done Bob. Nice to have great conditions and get a great image.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:52 pm Nice capture Bob - Those two make a lovely compliment to each other.

I envy your guiding, I'm happy when my total RMS is at 1" or under.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'm not exactly sure why guiding has gotten so much better lately, but I'll take it :) Previous to this latest run of good result, I would typically get DEC around .60-.70, RA at 1.00 and total RMS in the 1.3 range, so this has been a nice improvement. This result coincides with incorporating APT into my routine instead of BYEOS, but I am at a bit of a loss as to how that would affect guiding results. Looking into it a little more, it also coincides with your recent study and formulation of dithering amount. I may have incorporated that into the multiplier I am using in APT. I will have to see how old a guidelog I can find and see if my average dither amounts are smaller with APT than they were with BYEOS. I am still getting good control of walking noise, so it appears to be an acceptable amount of dither.

Bob

Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Great image Bob!! Glad you got your guiding issues ironed out. Your stars are perfect and you got some GREAT detail in this one!!
Excellent Image!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
JohnP_1 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JohnP_1 »

Looks great Bob! Saturday was indeed nice for a while that is. Cold as ice though. The clouds rolled in later on shutting everything down for me. I went after M81 myself the next day. I love the detail you grabbed. Well done.
The Eagle's Nest - Bortle 4-5 sky - scopes: Celestron C8 SCT w/MOTOFOCUS; ES ED102 APO CF MoonLite w/auto focus! FR/FF(s): Starizona SCT Corrector; Stellarvue 0.8 FR/FF; Explore Scientific 1.0 FF Filters: 1.25 inch - Orion Ha (1.25in), 2 inch - UHC, polarizer, Orion Sky Glow, Astronomik CLS-CCD Mount: Celestron AVX Cameras: Canon 60d (modded); Atik 383L+ OSC Guiding: Olivon OAG; ZWO ASI120MM; QHY QHY5-II Mono
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Bob,

Fantastic image sir- and those stars indeed as tight as can be and the framing is wonderful! I do have one comment, I wonder if it might just be this area of the sky because I had the same issue Wednesday night... your image is a little heavy in red. I would suggest backing the red off in the histogram, but only just a bit. Still an amazing image- well done Bob! Hope you and yours are staying safe and well!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

chartram wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:20 am Bob,

Fantastic image sir- and those stars indeed as tight as can be and the framing is wonderful! I do have one comment, I wonder if it might just be this area of the sky because I had the same issue Wednesday night... your image is a little heavy in red. I would suggest backing the red off in the histogram, but only just a bit. Still an amazing image- well done Bob! Hope you and yours are staying safe and well!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I actually had to back the blue down a bit in post processing. That might have left things a bit high in the reds. For me the circumpolar region is tough as I live just south of Hartford and I get the most sky glow in that direction. I may give this another try by stacking 10 less (or so) subs from early in the evening and see if that improves the color without loss of detail. It is always a balancing act to get things just where I want them!

Bob

chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:30 am
chartram wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:20 am Bob,

Mike
It is always a balancing act to get things just where I want them!

Bob
True statement. It’s an insane balancing act! The amount of things that have to go right both on the ground and in the sky for us to get just one good sub is... well- astronomical!
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

A really nice image, Bob!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

This is a great image, Bob! It is funny, I have been going after M81 myself, and noticed my guiding is incredible when pointed in that direction--same as yours, in the .3 - .4 RMS error range for each axes. I wonder if it is the direction we are facing or something...

Anyway, your image looks incredible! Thanks for sharing!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629