M42. First attempt at stacking and processing

Post your DSO images here.
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M42. First attempt at stacking and processing

Post by Kerry C. »

Okay, I know this is not up to the caliber of many of the photos I see on this forum, but I am having so much fun looking, learning and fiddling, I just wanted to share.
So this is my first attempt at prolonged exposures, stacking, and processing. I know I still have much to learn. The equipment used for this is; Celestron 8SE with a 6.3 focal reducer and my Canon T3i.
I took 55 photos of M42 with a exposure duration of 24 seconds at ISO 1600. I ended up using 37 of them in the processing. I also used 18 blacks, 18 flats using the same iso and duration, and 18 bias at 1/4000. I then used Deep Sky Stacker and did the processing using Gimp. DSS is somewhat straight forward for me but using Gimp was a head scratching learning experience.
I know there are some focusing and star trailing issues. As to the focusing problems, I am getting the Celestron focus motor for my birthday so that should help a lot. Star trailing will just take time in setting my alignment better and experimenting with ISO and exposure time.
I have rambled on long enough. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated. What I want to learn is getting more red colors like I see in other photos which will come with time and experimentation in the processing part.
Anyway here is my photo of M42.
Kerry
Attachments
1B107F28-0FAE-424F-B65D-3278E34B95A8.jpeg

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M82. First attempt at stacking and processing

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Suggestions? Just keep plugging away on the learning curve. Techniques will get honed and your knowledge base will increase and that means images will get better.

You actually captured Triangulum, btw.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Quite nice Kerry!

Very nice M42 capture. Like Henry said, the more you image, the more things you pick up, the more efficient you get, and the better the images get. This hobby is so much fun!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Nicely Done :)
Once you get lots of practice its nice to go back to older pictures and redoo them.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Very nice M42 Kerry! You’ll get plenty of good advise here at TSS! :Astronomer1:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a great first image Kerry. The colour is about right for M42. You might be able to bring it out a bit using the Gimp Saturation tool. What software did you use to capture the images?

I've got a Celestron motorised focuser. It makes things very much easier. I control it with the Celestron CPWI software.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
korbitz
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by korbitz »

Very nice image, puts mine to shame.

Noticed you took it at 1600ISO, need to retry M42 again at that setting in between all the storms we are getting at the moment :clap:
David

Williams Optics Redcat 51
Skywatcher EQ5 - Goto
Canon DSLR EOS Rebel SL1
Altair Hypercam 183C Pro Tec
ZWO ASI mono CAM for guiding
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

Very nice
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
Camera:Canon EOS 600d Home Dome 10'
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a nice image. I think that there is probably much more data in there that you will be able to coax out as your processing skills develop.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

That's pretty good for a first effort. With some practice you will get better with the contrast and levels. It's a lot better than my first attempts.

The star tailing is due in part to a slight mis-alignment, but more so due to the 8SE being an alt az mount. That you will not be able to overcome unless you go to a wedge.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Kerry, on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/2-21-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. Lots to learn, but having fun doing it.
Gordon, I am a bit embarrassed that you put that photo up. It doesn’t compare to the many other spectacular phots I have seen.
In time I hope to be worthy of another “photo of the day”, but thank you.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 am That's a great first image Kerry. The colour is about right for M42. You might be able to bring it out a bit using the Gimp Saturation tool. What software did you use to capture the images?

I've got a Celestron motorised focuser. It makes things very much easier. I control it with the Celestron CPWI software.

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. I will give Gimp saturation tool a go and see what happens.
When you ask about the software used to capture images, I’m not sure what you mean.
I just hooked my camera to the back end of the scope using a “T” ring adapter. I then set up my intervalometer to capture the timed photos.
I need to look into the CPWI software you referred to.
Kerry

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Intervelometer… I remember those days :D

As far as software you might want to look into BYEOS.

https://www.otelescope.com/

I personally use Sequence Generator Pro. But that's a pretty involved and expensive piece of software.

Anyhow...

Here is a suggestion for you ;) I posted this on that other forum a few years ago.....

I use a Cannon Rebel SL1 its a great camera but has one fault. It chews through batterys fast! I mean like 1 hour of use for long exposures and bee boop disconnected

I had this complicated routine of keeping three batterys in rotation. I would use a battery to get frame and focus and take some previews. Once I got it down I would swap out for a fresh off the charger battery which would usually require rotating the focuser to get to the battery compartment which usually meant nudging the OTA off target. Not to mention loosing connection to BYEOS etc. So more frame and focus and previews. Rinse repeat... Frustrating right?

So I bought one of these... An AC power adaptor with a 'mock' battery insert. Specifically for my camera (I ordered a wrong one at first but it ended up with another forum member )

ImagePower Supply by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Which is great but I loath power cords running across the yard, tripping hazard, wraps, etc.

So I also bought one of these...A DC to DC voltage converter in the shape of a ciggy lighter plug. You can of course splice on any connector you would like.

Image12 V adaptor by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Amazon.com : UpBright® NEW Car 12V to 7.4V DC Adapter For Canon ACK-DC50 PowerShot G10 G11 G12 SX30 ACKDC50 Power Shot Camera 7.4VDC Auto Vehicle Boat RV Cigarette Lighter Plug Power Supply Cord Cable Battery Charger PSU (Note: This is DC7.4V-7.5V ou

As you might note the DC to DC converter might work on its own save for a couple of problems. The plug is not the right style (needs a 90 degree plug) and the cord was too short. Also it does not come with the mock battery case.

So... I cut the plug off the AC adaptor and the DC adaptor, connected the one from the AC adaptor to the DC DC adaptor with as long a cord as I could get from the two. After carefully checking the voltage (8,0 volts no load) and the continuity I plugged in the false battery case, installed it in the camera, held my breath and turned it on!

It works! Perfectly!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Kerry. You did a fine job on your first stacking DSO image with M42 and your Celestron 8SE telescope. Lots of nice nebulosity in your capture. Thanks for sharing this work with us Kerry, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats Kerry! I am just on the edge of getting into AP (well, a couple of lousy shots of the moon). I admire your effort and congrats on the fine work resulting in today's APOD!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Re: M42. First attempt at stacking and processing

Post by starfield »

Congrats. So fun when all the pieces start coming together. Always glad to see someone else heading down the rabbit hole.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Kerry,

A fine image and well deserving of today’s APOD! Matter of fact, this one puts many of our first images to shame. You’ve got really nice reflective and emission details, nice contrast in the Trapezium area and some of the dusty stuff too. Really like it!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Great first try Terry!

M42 has a large dynamic range and you need to take a few different exposure lengths.
Try a few 5 second exposures and some 10, 15 and 24. If you pay particular attention to your alignment then you can even stretch the exposures to 30 seconds.
The more you take the better when doing short exposure work. I try to get as many as 200 or more of each and combine them in DSS.
There appears to be plenty of colour in your data, it needs to be coaxed out a little more.

Well done on your first image and the TSS APOD!
Keep plugging away at it.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

Looks good to me! I am trying to capture a similar image with about the same gear setup now. My efforts so far have been mostly planetary and this would be my first DSO as well. Got started too late last night to get the image, as I have a small area in the SSW sky that's visible without excessive light pollution. Maybe tonight works out better...
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/