Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My Try At The Monkey

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

I saw Steve's @steve333 post of the Monkey's Head Nebula (NGC 2174) a few days ago and his beautiful image. I had never heard of the Monkey's Head Nebula and when I looked it up in SkySafari, there was no image when I zoomed in, but only a box. The information said that the apparent magnitude was 6.8.

When I looked at its position in the sky, I saw that it was really good for my location. High enough to be rising out of the lp soup just after dark and should move in between some big trees in the back yard until about 270 degrees. Hmmm. It was between M1 the Crab Nebula and a try at the Monkey's Head. Since M1 is so small in my field of view, I decided on NGC 2174.

I set up and solved on NGC 2174. Shot a quick photo to check to see if I could spot the nebula and was pleasantly surprised to see a nice patch of nebulosity. The Monkey Head, however was facing up, so I rotated the camera 90 degrees, refocused, and went back to NGC 2174 and started imaging.

I could see nice nebulosity in the subs.

I recently made some guiding setting (PHD2 and the mount) changes and had posted about the results. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6435&p=55367&hilit=avx#p55125.

That night while imaging M78, I had experienced the best guiding I have had with this mount. I mostly saw total rms error all night averaging about 0.9 - 1.1 arcsec which is very good for me.

Well, when I started imaging NGC 2174, I was not seeing these good numbers. My guiding was about what it was before I made the changes. Maybe averaging 1.3 - 1.6. Seeing was below average, but it was during the M78 imaging also.

As the night progressed and the target approached the meridian, the total rms error dropped quite a bit. I kept a pretty good eye on it and mostly saw a total rms error of 0.8 - 1.0 up to and through the flip and for the rest of the evening. Of course, except for an occaisional RA blip and dithering.

Well, I really had a good time. All of my "toys" played very well together. Great target (thank you Steve!) and a good night.

Stacked 54 light frames (300 seconds iso 800) at 90% in DSS (4 hrs integration).
Darks, Bias, and Flats

Also to note. Previously with mid-histogram flats, I still had some light vignetting and sometimes a dust mote or two that was easily mitigated in Photoshop. Since going to about 40% of full well ADU flats (measured with APLab), there are no vignetting or dust mote issues. Thanks all for those posts!

This is a single frame 5 minute exposure of NGC 2174 processed with only a levels adjustment in Photoshop Elements.
0E837D73-1C5A-4935-A77A-AF1F57D75EE3.jpeg
This is a snip of APT with a light frame capture.
0CA298E7-ED00-45A7-8725-FFA6EE615E0F.jpeg
This is my processed image below still has issues with the stars. I like the coloration, but still have some saturation (rings) that I have tried unsuccessfully to reduce in Startools. I did reduce the stretch to see if it would help with the stars, but without success. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment!
AB06BADD-DAA0-4FE5-B68D-7514C1423D4C.jpeg
This version below was my first pass in processing. It literally took 5 minutes in Startools. Everything popped into place very quickly in including Color. Noise was very low. The only issue that I am still having are the saturated stars. I was hoping that the new filter (IDAS LPS-D1) would help with that, and it may have some, but the issue still remains. Got a very busy day today and probably won’t get a chance to troubleshoot the stars, so I just want to put this up as is, a WIP.

The new IDAS filter really did seem to help greatly with lp remediation. I was shooting at 300 seconds and getting good subs even when the target was just above the Na vapor neighborhood lighting. Very happy with the filter. Thanks again Steve!

Thanks for looking and please comment if you have any suggestions concerning the image.

Thanks!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My Try At The Monkey

Post by Mac »

Grate capture Jim... really impressed with the single 5 minute sub. You mentioned the saturation rings which I think is exactly what I am experiencing with my ED102.

The final processed image is awesome.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Steve!

The whole experience with imaging and processing was smooth and very enjoyable.

I’m thinking that the saturation issues aren’t related to the scope, but instead with something else in my imaging train, imaging process, or post processing. I’ll keep working with it and hopefully get to the cause eventually.

Thanks again for your very nice comments!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

It is looking very nice, Jim. I think you have done well with this target.

A couple of questions: Do you know where in the processing flow the halos start to appear? It may help with the investigation. And second, I see your tracking settled down approaching the Meridian. Do you adjust the weights at all during the session to keep the setup east-heavy, or are you going for balanced all the time?

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thank you very much Bob!

Before I started imaging, I did my usual as far as balancing. Slightly east heavy and slightly camera heavy. No adjustments made during imaging at all. After the monkey was about 10° past and Meridian, I sent the scope to Sirius to refocus, then plate solved the Monkey to the other side of the mount and kept imaging for about an hour and a half to two hours.

After the first hour or so of imaging, the guiding calmed down it was very good the rest of the evening.

I noticed the halos after the first Autodev (step 1). I binned to 35%, but going down to 25% didn’t help and only reduced image resolution. After Wipe, a manual development helps, but the overall image seems to suffer compared to a second Autodev
I have had this issue for some time. JT even commented on my M78 image with the robin’s egg star centers. Maybe modding the camera made it more evident, and maybe not, but it seems like I notice it more now.

Thanks again Bob!
Jim

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Jim - Good job on this interesting nebula. It's nice to have a bright target to work on once in a while.

I deal with star halos all the time. I believe mine are coming from my Astro Duo-Narrowband filter. It does a great job of reducing the LP, but, I believe the halos are the price I pay. It's possible the halos are coming from your new IDAS LPS-D1 filter (I hope not).

I've devised several techniques for combating this problem. I downloaded your image and used these techniques on it, and, they did a nice job. Since I use a different processing software (Pixinsight) these techniques likely won't be useful for you. However, if you would like to see the result I can post it here.

Best of success in finding the source/cure for the halos.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:55 pm Hi Jim - Good job on this interesting nebula. It's nice to have a bright target to work on once in a while.

I deal with star halos all the time. I believe mine are coming from my Astro Duo-Narrowband filter. It does a great job of reducing the LP, but, I believe the halos are the price I pay. It's possible the halos are coming from your new IDAS LPS-D1 filter (I hope not).

I've devised several techniques for combating this problem. I downloaded your image and used these techniques on it, and, they did a nice job. Since I use a different processing software (Pixinsight) these techniques likely won't be useful for you. However, if you would like to see the result I can post it here.

Best of success in finding the source/cure for the halos.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

I really don’t think that the filter is causing the halos since I had the issue before.

Yes, please do post the image.

Thanks!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Here is the "halo-reduced" image Jim. The original is also shown below for comparison.

HALO-REDUCED

ORIGINAL

The improvements in the halos is even better seen in the full size images viewed at the Fliker links below.

Flickr link to REPROCESS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125271061 ... ateposted/

Flickr link to ORIGINAL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125271061 ... ateposted/

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:12 pm Here is the "halo-reduced" image Jim. The original is also shown below for comparison.

HALO-REDUCED

ORIGINAL

The improvements in the halos is even better seen in the full size images viewed at the Fliker links below.

Flickr link to REPROCESS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125271061 ... ateposted/

Flickr link to ORIGINAL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125271061 ... ateposted/

Cheers,
Steve

Wow, significant improvement Steve,

Not sure how to accomplish the same reduction in Startools, but I will try and also post to the help forum.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this work with my image.

Thanks again for stimulating my interest in this target. I probably wouldn’t have tried to image NGC 2174 if it hadn’t been for your post.
I was somewhat let down by my last M78 image and this target was such a joy to image and process.

BTW, even if the IDAS filter is contributing some to the star halos, the filter is a big boost to my imaging. The ability to shoot 300 second exposures at iso 800 in my light pollution is a real big boost! The mount is also getting with the program and doing pretty well at 300 seconds.

Thanks for your help Steve!
Jim

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Everybody has something to hide except for me and my monkey!

Nice image, Jim!

I too have had trouble with these halos. If you have a StarTools resolution, would appreciate a knowledge share. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a great post, Jim!
Thank you for sharing this with the details.
I have enjoyed this very much.

Your Monkey Head is pretty dang nice no matter the star issues. 👍

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:38 pm
Wow, significant improvement Steve,

Not sure how to accomplish the same reduction in Startools, but I will try and also post to the help forum.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this work with my image.

Thanks again for stimulating my interest in this target. I probably wouldn’t have tried to image NGC 2174 if it hadn’t been for your post.
I was somewhat let down by my last M78 image and this target was such a joy to image and process.

BTW, even if the IDAS filter is contributing some to the star halos, the filter is a big boost to my imaging. The ability to shoot 300 second exposures at iso 800 in my light pollution is a real big boost! The mount is also getting with the program and doing pretty well at 300 seconds.

Thanks for your help Steve!
You are welcome Jim. - It was fun working with your image and seeing the improvement.

Glad you enjoyed this target.

I felt the same way about the IDAS LPS-D1 filter. It helped so much with the LP that I put up with any other issues it caused. I appreciated how it didn't seem to mess up the color balance very much, so, color calibration was not much of an issue.

Have fun.

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:54 pm Everybody has something to hide except for me and my monkey!

Nice image, Jim!

I too have had trouble with these halos. If you have a StarTools resolution, would appreciate a knowledge share. :D
Hi Bryan,

Man, you are a nut!

Thanks for your nice comment.

I hate to hear that you are having issues with the halos too, but I am glad that I am not in the boat by myself!
I will definitely share when/if I find a solution or a patch. Likewise, if you find a way to help reduce the halos, please pass it on.
Not really sure of the cause, except that it might just be over saturation. An issue that I would think that many of us have.

Thanks again Bryan!
Don Quixote wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:08 pm This is a great post, Jim!
Thank you for sharing this with the details.
I have enjoyed this very much.

Your Monkey Head is pretty dang nice no matter the star issues. 👍
Thanks Mark!

I’m hoping that someone might benefit from the guiding changes and/or add suggestions and personal experiences with the AVX.
Of course, also the star halos. The more that I post about it, the more it seems that others have that same issue also. We can hopefully help each other out.

I appreciate your nice comments!
STEVE333 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 pm
You are welcome Jim. - It was fun working with your image and seeing the improvement.

Glad you enjoyed this target.

I felt the same way about the IDAS LPS-D1 filter. It helped so much with the LP that I put up with any other issues it caused. I appreciated how it didn't seem to mess up the color balance very much, so, color calibration was not much of an issue.

Have fun.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Hopefully I can find something in Startools that can help with the halos.

Yes, I really did enjoy this target and the filter. I appreciate the recommendation on the filter. You are right, the fine job that it does with lp far outweighs any drawbacks. The color balance is very manageable and the increased exposure time is a big benifit.

Thanks
Jim

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Jim, I did a quick search on halos and StarTools. There are lots of hits out there, I thought this one looked promising. I'm sure there is a way to get it done.

https://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1371

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a really nice image and thats a target I'd really like to try - but it needs a bit more FL than I can currently muster! I'm working through getting 8" LX200 capable of taking more than 45 sec exposures (thats a book in itself) and if I ever manage that then this could be the first on my list.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 pm Jim, I did a quick search on halos and StarTools. There are lots of hits out there, I thought this one looked promising. I'm sure there is a way to get it done.

Bob

Thanks a bunch Bob! You know that I searched Google a bunch, but I don’t think that I came across this in the ST forum. I have a current post about the issue on the ST forum.
I have to run a few errands and then I will check it out. Thanks a bunch and I will let you know.

Jockinireland wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm Thats a really nice image and thats a target I'd really like to try - but it needs a bit more FL than I can currently muster! I'm working through getting 8" LX200 capable of taking more than 45 sec exposures (thats a book in itself) and if I ever manage that then this could be the first on my list.

Thanks!

Yeah, your scope might be a bit much. The Monkeys Head is a big and bright target. You can see on the image that I posted of my desktop, the subs in APT clearly show the nebula.

Good luck with that! Maybe a focal reducer?

Thanks
Jim

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Jockinireland wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm Thats a really nice image and thats a target I'd really like to try - but it needs a bit more FL than I can currently muster! I'm working through getting 8" LX200 capable of taking more than 45 sec exposures (thats a book in itself) and if I ever manage that then this could be the first on my list.

Thanks!

Yeah, your scope might be a bit much. The Monkeys Head is a big and bright target. You can see on the image that I posted of my desktop, the subs in APT clearly show the nebula.

Good luck with that! Maybe a focal reducer?

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi Jim, yes I have a 0.63 FF/FR and the FOV calculator shows the Monkey Head as being pretty much all in view. But I've many other wrinkles to work out before that stage!!
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 pm Jim, I did a quick search on halos and StarTools. There are lots of hits out there, I thought this one looked promising. I'm sure there is a way to get it done.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I will keep at it, but after trying all of the different settings both in the Heal Module and the Layer Module, this is what I came up with.

I set a mask for some stars with halos.
Halos Mask.JPG
Then, I healed the stars.
Heal.JPG
Followed the forum post instructions in the Layer Module.
Layer Composite Result.JPG
I tried all of the settings in both the Heal Module and the Layer Module and could not get the masked area to smooth in with the background. Also, the stars look unnatural. I will keep looking and trying different things. Unfortunately, it looks like since all images are somewhat different, getting the same process to work on all images might be difficult.

When you heal all of the stars, it leaves a splotchy mess. I am sure that I am not doing this as cleanly as I could, but not sure where to start.
Heal all stars.JPG
Thanks for your help and thanks for sending the link to me!
Jim

MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Great image! Very well done, Jim!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I see what you mean, Jim. The background image in the Layer module (I think the one on the left is BG) has some weird artifacts that seem to carry over into the final image. Maybe Ivo will pick it up in the forum and have some good advice. I am curious to see what comes of your question there.

Bob