Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Monkey Head Nebula - NGC 2174

Post by STEVE333 »

It was a pleasant surprise to see this nebula had strong emissions in the Ha and Oiii wavelengths. Fits perfectly with the Astro Duo-Narrowband filter. The night was extremely wet with humidity, and, everything was dripping at the end. Fortunately a small towel over the active USB cable connections kept them dry, and, the Dew Heaters kept the optics dry. The new setup with the laptop inside the house is working perfectly, and, has been a nice change for the better!

Looking forward to purchasing a cooled camera, filter wheel, and, NB filters and getting started in NB imaging. Till then, the Astro Duo-Narrowband filter is the best I can do.

IMAGE INFORMATION:
WO Star71 telescope, Canon T3 (modified), MMAG Autoguider, Astro Duo-Narrowband filter
BYEOS, PHD2
23x540 sec Lights, Bias, Flats, Darks
Processed in PixInsight

Full FOV Image

Cropped Image

Flickr Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125271061 ... ateposted/

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Monkey Head Nebula - NGC 2174

Post by Juno16 »

Thats a wonderful image Steve. Even the cropped version has great details.

Great work with 3.5 hours of exposure.

Wow, you are going to make the jump to nb imaging. Best of luck with that. I’m sure that you will be producing even more impressive images soon. Your current work with the Canon has been remarkable.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 am Thats a wonderful image Steve. Even the cropped version has great details.

Great work with 3.5 hours of exposure.

Wow, you are going to make the jump to nb imaging. Best of luck with that. I’m sure that you will be producing even more impressive images soon. Your current work with the Canon has been remarkable.

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your kind words.

I've finally decided to make the change to cooled NB imaging. I see all the beautiful NB images and I see the halos from reflections with my current filters. So, lots to learn: which cooled camera to get, and, what software to control that, a filter wheel and something to control that, and which filters to get ($$$). At first I was overwhelmed, but, lots of good information on the internet to help. I've already learned how to have laptop A in the house connected to and controlling the mount/camera/filter wheel via Ethernet while I take Laptop B outside to the mount to perform the Polar Alignment while watching the laptop A screen on laptop B outside. Pretty neat.

This is certain to be a journey, but, at least I'm started on the journey.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:20 am
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your kind words.

I've finally decided to make the change to cooled NB imaging. I see all the beautiful NB images and I see the halos from reflections with my current filters. So, lots to learn: which cooled camera to get, and, what software to control that, a filter wheel and something to control that, and which filters to get ($$$). At first I was overwhelmed, but, lots of good information on the internet to help. I've already learned how to have laptop A in the house connected to and controlling the mount/camera/filter wheel via Ethernet while I take Laptop B outside to the mount to perform the Polar Alignment while watching the laptop A screen on laptop B outside. Pretty neat.

This is certain to be a journey, but, at least I'm started on the journey.

Steve
I know that it sounds like a lot, but I’m sure that there is a lot of excitement thinking about upgrading and the challenges that go along with it.

I will miss your superb dslr work!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Another fine image, Steve. I'm sure you will do as well if not better with the NB processing. Looking forward to going along for the ride vicariously.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Steve that is an outstanding image! :Clap:

I was able to pick this one up visually with the 12 inch from our suburban backyard, albeit weakly. The O-III filter definitely helped.

I will add that unfortunately many sources identify the main nebula as NGC 2174 which is incorrect. What we know as the Monkey Head Nebula is actually NGC 2175, which consists of the emission nebula + the open cluster OCL 476. NGC 2174 is a small knot within the larger complex. There is another catalogued bit around the brightest star in the cluster, HD 42088, known as IC 2159, though some folks question it as a distinct object and I admit I've had problems discerning it in the many images I've looked at. Then along the eastern side is a cluster of stars sometimes referred to as NGC 2175S, but is also catalogued as Pismis 27. I have annotated your image below with these various parts. Thanks again for wonderful image. :)
Monkey Head Complex_annotated.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 am Steve that is an outstanding image! :Clap:

I was able to pick this one up visually with the 12 inch from our suburban backyard, albeit weakly. The O-III filter definitely helped.

I will add that unfortunately many sources identify the main nebula as NGC 2174 which is incorrect. What we know as the Monkey Head Nebula is actually NGC 2175, which consists of the emission nebula + the open cluster OCL 476. NGC 2174 is a small knot within the larger complex. There is another catalogued bit around the brightest star in the cluster, HD 42088, known as IC 2159, though some folks question it as a distinct object and I admit I've had problems discerning it in the many images I've looked at. Then along the eastern side is a cluster of stars sometimes referred to as NGC 2175S, but is also catalogued as Pismis 27. I have annotated your image below with these various parts. Thanks again for wonderful image. :)

Thanks for the clarifications Alan. Your knowledge of the classifications and identifications is much appreciated. Thanks also for the annotated image.

Congratulations on your being able to see these things visually. I never view through my telescope anymore. In fact, I leave my camera attached to the telescope so that I can use the same set of Flats multiple times. Saves me a lot of time/effort.

Steve
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:33 am
kt4hx wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 am Steve that is an outstanding image! :Clap:

Thanks for the clarifications Alan. Your knowledge of the classifications and identifications is much appreciated. Thanks also for the annotated image.

Congratulations on your being able to see these things visually. I never view through my telescope anymore. In fact, I leave my camera attached to the telescope so that I can use the same set of Flats multiple times. Saves me a lot of time/effort.

Steve

I certainly understand that if someone images 100% they would leave that equipment married to the scope all the time. Makes perfect sense. As I don't have an interest in actually doing imaging myself, I live vicariously through the efforts of those who do! :)

I do enjoy looking at images and seeing what I can discern in them. It helps me keep my eye sharp for visual observing. Plus I do a lot of research on object identification/classifications and their histories.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great job, Steve!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Steve on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/1-24-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice image Steve and great that it was selected as today's highlighted photo! Good luck with your new processes, as well.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Gordon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:24 pm Congratulations Steve on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/1-24-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day

Thanks to Gordon and all the Administrators for choosing my image. You made my day!

Steve
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Steve, saw your images this morning and thought they were just great! I meant to comment but then I looked at the time... :lol:

Anyways, nicely done, and I see you won the POTD to boot; nice! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great capture Steve!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Great image and a. very worthy AOPD. Honestly that's the first time I've seen why it's called the monkey head- could never see it before. Of course now I'll see it in every image of that area.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Excellent image and crop Steve. Nice to hear your inside laptop is working well for you. It's tough to have heard your laptop stolen, but maybe it leads to a better setup with the computer inside.

Congrats on the Photo of the Day!
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)