Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M42 Stacker-Lite Experiment

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I'm learning a few more things about DSS and my ArcSoft PhotoStudio 6.0. I'm still playing around with the sequencing of the various post production features PhotoStudio offers from layering, to tonal adjustments, to color balance, despeckling and Gaussian blur. There's a lot more features I can list but I've probably touched on them in past topic posts.

I've added a few more frames to my last attempt (5 lights/frames) and am still performing a "Stacker-Lite" process on M42 without using darks, flats or bias frames. This image is the result of a stack of 11 "lights"/frames and 7 layers of image tweaking in PhotoStudio 6.0 though I think DS Stacker dropped one of the lights. The exposures ranged from 6 seconds to 145 seconds at f/4 with a total of 10 minutes of "data". Also, no filters.

I generated three different images from the original DSS stack and this one was the best overall though a second image actually did resolve the Triangulum but various color interfaces were a bit goofy probably because I "over-processed" that particular image trying to resolve Triangulum.

I like targeting M42 because of the dynamic range challenges it presents as well as trying to resolve Triangulum in that super-hot core of M42. I think I'm to the point where 6 to 10 stacked lights with no darks, flats, or bias frames may be enough to overcome 90% of the dynamic range problems of most DSOs. However, I'm definitely seeing where hours and hours of data are needed to overcome borderline sky conditions and to capture much greater details of DSOs as well as planetary, lunar and solar features … not that there was ever any question in my mind that more is indeed better in AP. The minimalist approach clearly has imaging limitations but the final image of such a short-stack can be two to three times better than the image produced by a single-frame because of the extra data.

An Orion 6-inch f/4 fast Newtonian astrograph originally captured the donor images vis a vis an unmodified Canon EOS 77D.
Attachments
Autosave JPG  11 Frame Stack_NEW_0001.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M42 Stacker-Lite Experiment

Post by Juno16 »

Great looking short stack Henry!

Very clean image with nice coloration and good details. The trapezium looks great!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Jim. I greatly value your enthusiasm and encouragements.

Trapezium is still a blob but at least the outer limits of that little cluster is defined. It's the best I've been able to do with Trapezium. I think under the proper skies and with really good, nicely spaced captures from 5 seconds to 180 seconds, I might can come up with six "lights" that would actually show a resolved Trapezium with nice nebulosity. Certain 10 lights would do the trick. If I remember correctly these 11 frames were captured under Bortle 3 to 4 and Pickering 5 skies, nice but not great. I'll need some very steady seeing and exceptional seeing conditions to keep star bloat to a minimum, too.

Hopefully on our vacation to the southwest starting next Wednesday, I'll be able to image 3 out of 10 nights. I hope to get some healthy strings of M42, M45, Rosette Nebula, the Horsehead/Flame Nebulas, maybe some galactic DSOs in Leo and maybe five or six other iconic DSOs. Can't wait to get our of the Midwest ice box.

I'm still entertained by the Stacker-Lite process though I still think I'm reinventing the wheel to one degree or another.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Henry that's great, wow; I'm impressed!

Enjoy your vacation and hope you have clear skies!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Mark. This morning my wife and I checked the weather down Tucson, AZ way and it looks like this coming weekend may provide some opportunities for several sky safaris. But forecasts change so we'll be monitoring night sky conditions on our way out to the southwest. Hopefully I'll be able to get another session or two in on the rest of our trip into upper Arizona and southern Colorado.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Very nice result Henry. Nice colors and nebulosity.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Steve. I have a ways to go refining the technique (if there really is a technique to my Stacker-Lite brainstorm) but I'm generally pleased with the above result. I culled out a few frames today and restacked 8 images instead of 11 and got some really nice round stars (two of the frames/lights I eliminated were a bit off on the tracking) but I noticed some details in the middle of the nebula essentially went missing. Yeah, nine or ten minutes of "data" isn't a whole lot to work with but I'm still making a commitment to getting respectable results from an 8 to 10 frame/lights stack without darks, flats and bias frames.

I did learn a few more things about my ArcSoft PhotoStudion software features but I found only one of the four 8 stack images I generated today came close to the image on this post. As we all noted before, using 6, 8 or 10 frame stacks will only result in a two to three fold improvement in the overall post-production image. Plus, I need better captures to work with taken under very nice, dark skies with steady air since committing to such a low number of data frames requires everything in the production chain to be the best that best can be. That being said, I see where capturing gobs of data frames and adding them to a pre-existing data base is the most efficient way (despite the hours involved) of guaranteeing a quality final image.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Here's my second attempt on this 11 frame/light stack. I'm not sure if this is significantly better but I believe I was able to define the Trapezium "blob" a bit more and add a bit of luminance/gain to the overall image. I tweaked the color balance a bit, too. I may have gone a bit too much on the magenta but I like it. Rather magenta than green … heh!
Attachments
Autosave JPG  11 Frame Stack_NEW_Final Version A.jpg
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Now this M42 image is interesting, The 5 frames/lights which make up this stack were also captured with my Orion 6-inch f/4 and an unmodified Canon EOS 77D. I think it gives a slightly different look at the Orion and Running Man Nebulas (other than a difference in orientation, that is) and a better defined Triangulum though its stars still aren't resolved. And this image (after 4 tries!) stacks only half of the lights that I used to generate the previous two images above. I'm sorta scratching my head on this one since we're dealing with half the data but this might be validating my thoughts regarding the necessity of having quality donor images when stacking such "minimalist" stacks. It also could be, in such a small stack, exposure bracketing could be a fairly significant factor in the out come of the final stack. More experimentation is certainly needed to determine what the optimal exposure bracketing would be in stacks smaller than 10 lights.

More than likely what makes this image more appealing to me are the different post-production tweaks and sequences of tweaks and layers of this specific stack which yielded what I think is a more pleasing image of M42 - at least to these two old eyeballs.
Attachments
XA M42 Orion Nebula 5 Stack - 6 Layer Experiment X_01.jpg