Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Pickering's Triangle/NGC 6992/NGC6960 200mm Telephot

Post by Hankmeister3 »

A decent capture of the Eastern Veil, Pickering's Triangle, and Witch's Broom with my 1990s Canon 200mm EF-L f/2.8 telephoto. Ran across this image while scrolling through some of my backlog DSO captures out of boredom. Hope you like this widefield view of the Veil Nebula complex. I remember it being a pretty average sky that night, nothing remarkable one way or the other. I wish I could have pulled in more nebulosity on the Pickering's Triangle but it just wasn't happening that evening.

Canon 200mm f/2.8 EF-L telephoto
Canon EOS 80D DSLR unmodified
Piggy-backed on Quattro 8 f/4 fast Newtonian
SW EQ6-R Pro mount (PPEC + Sidereal Rate only)
135 seconds, ISO1600
single-frame, no filters
9/23/19
Attachments
NGC6992 - NGC6974 Veil Nebula 200mm f2.8 Canon telephoto.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Pickering's Triangle/NGC 6992/NGC6960 200mm Telephot

Post by helicon »

Nice shot of those nebulae Hank!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good image Hank
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Michael. Your encouraging comments are always appreciated.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thank you m'Lady Fraktor! I always appreciate your kind words.

BTW, I didn't know you were a Motocross enthusiast. What's your ride? I still engage in NHRA drag racing from time to time in factory stock class both 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Only for fun now, I used to drag race a 350 CID 1971 Chevelle and a 1994 Ford Mustang 5.0L five-speed. Nothing remarkable other than having fun and trying to cut a good light on the starting "tree." I'm even thinking of "racing" our 2013 2.0 L turbo Sonata this coming season at a relatively local 1/8 mile drag strip. I hope to get down into the 8s in the 1/8 mile and 13s in the 1/4 mile. No Motocross or road racing for me, too many curves and down shifts!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

That's nicely done.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great capture Hank... I added this to my every growing list of DSOs to image.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Steve.

Yeah, there's a lot going on in the constellation of Cygnus and this is just one of those busy sky sectors. What's interesting about the Veil Nebula complex is all the individual parts. You can capture them individually or shoot the whole shebang. I imagine some filter work would yield some interesting images and details.

I'm not sure about the cosmic history of this complex as we presently view it. My guess (before I looked up the history on the Internet) was these wispy tendrils are the remnants of a pretty powerful super nova maybe a couple of millennia ago. So before I wrote this reply I did a search and some astronomers/cosmologists are saying the Veil Nebula is about 8000 years old! I would have never guessed it was that old but I supposed if one knows the current expansion rate of the nebula and work backwards, you come up with 8K years. I don't know and I'm not certain if anyone knows for sure what star it was that went super nova to produce the Veil Nebula, but I could be wrong about that, too.

Whatever the real history, it is pretty neat to image. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of the Veil visually through a telescope but I wonder if some of our visual experts at TSS have ever caught glimpses of the whole complex or not. Now that would be cool. I imagine some of the brighter sections can be viewed on a good clear night. I don't believe I've ever attempted a visual acquisition of any part of the Veil. I'm trying to remember if DonQuixote had visually acquired the Eastern Veil on one of our mutual star safaris, because if he did then I probably eyeballed it. I just can't remember now since we eyeballed a lot of DSOs this summer and fall at a time when I was experiencing a lot of information overload! Heh!
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Very nice Hank! Amazing for a single exposure, well done.
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thank you, Alex and JockinIreland, both your responses are appreciated.

I still enjoy single-frame because it's also so much easier in post-production. The overall quality of my capture will never approach that of other astrophotographic members who avail themselves of the latest post-production software tweaks starting with stacking. But I'm okay with that for now and to be honest, I'm basically a lazy retired guy who generally seeks the path of least resistance in my various hobby pursuits anyway. Heh!

I know one can only go so far with single-frame "state-of-the-art" and it makes me that much more dependent on sky quality, but I guess that's where the magic is for me … waiting for excellent skies and then taking the most advantage one can of that "magical" time. Probably because of my personality I kinda like instant gratification and for me, right now, capturing as much "data" or "photons" one can to collate or process into one image sounds like a daunting task to me. Teaching new tricks to an old dog like me exhausts my brain just to think about it, so I totally admire all those other "seasoned members" here who take great delight in the challenges of all the post-production software enhancements they avail themselves of in order to deliver such wonderful images that blow my mind from time to time!

It's just me. Going forward in the next year or two I hope sky conditions are much better than 2019 which IMO was a bust here in central Illinois as compared to 2018. And I understand 2017 delivered even better skies to some here at TSS. And when I get bored with single-frame I'll probably hop on the "capture more data" train.

I am planning on a "vacation" sky safari in the next 10 days or six weeks when the Moon is not a factor so I can be under nice, relatively dark skies. I'm thinking New Mexico or Arizona with the wife who actually enjoys what I do. Plus we just got four inches of snow last night and it's been cold as a w … well, you get the point. What good is being retired if you can't just pick up equipment, load up the car and take a vacation on a virtual whim, right?

Clear skies to all!
Ken_nneth Norway
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ken_nneth »

oh so great for one shot, still can't understand how you do it. How much light pollution do you have at site?
Clear Skies
[media][/size][/media]Kenneth
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Ken_nneth/

ZWO SEESTAR S50
PixInsight
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Kenneth.

I have three sites that I generally use located out in the countryside. The Penfield/Middle Fork River & Forest Preserve is, on average, (with respect to dark skies, seeing conditions and transparency) probably the best of the three though the other two have darker skies to the south and southwest. All three are fairly equal with respect to skies overhead around the zenith. However, the latter two sites are also closer to home by about eight to twelve minutes respectively, the south Sydney site being the closest. Interestingly, the best overall night I've ever had was at the Sydney site last year early November. Something like a very strong Bortle 3, Pickering 7 or 8 and very, very nice transparency.

In general, on what I would call a very nice night, all three sites can offer a strong Bortle 3 sky, with seeing conditions around a Pickering 5 to 7 ( a 7 or above would be a very rare night) and average to very good transparency of about a 6 out of 10. All three are a big step up from "urban sky" locations, I admit to that much!

BTW, the Middle Fork River & Forest Preserve Park is a nationally recognized astronomical "dark site."