IC405 The Flaming Star Nebula LHGB

Post your DSO images here.
jmfloater United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

IC405 The Flaming Star Nebula LHGB

Post by jmfloater »

LGB taken 12-3-19 and Ha data taken Jan and Feb of 2016. I had taken some R data on 12-3 but gradients were terrible. One of the benefits from hurricane Michael was the removal of some trees that block sky access, but those same trees also blocked street light glare on my scope when shooting low to the NE. By trying to minimize color extinction for my colored filters I imaged R,G and B in that order when imaging in the Eastern sky. Try as I might, I could not salvage the R channel from the bad gradients for an RGB combination. I decided to use some Ha data taken in 2016 for the R channel. The camera orientation was almost 90 degrees different from my session on 12-3-19 and I was also imaging in the Western sky. Normal processing was done for both sets of images including alignment to create master images. An additional alignment process had to be done to align the images of severe orientation differences. In PI I used the dynamic alignment process on the master images to achieve the aligning of images taken in 2016 and 2019. The resulting master images had to be cropped substantially prior to final channel combination using Pixel Math in PI.

Comments welcomed!

L = 12 exp x 120 sec binned 1 x 1
Ha = 12 exp x 600 sec binned 1 x 1
Ha = 6 exp x 1200 sec binned 1 x 1
G = 12 exp x 300 sec binned 1 x 1
B = 12 exp x 300 sec binned 1 x 1

Total exposure length = 6.4 hrs
Moon about 17.25 days average age
Sensor temp = -10C and -15C

Scope: Stellarvue SV80S Triplet APO Refractor
Imaging Camera: Atik 383L Mono
Mount: Losmandy GM 11
Guide Camera: Orion StarShoot AutoGuider Pro Mono
Focal Reducer: Televue TRF-2008
Software: PHD, Sequence Generator Pro and PixInsight
Filters: Baader 36mm
IC405_L_H_G_B_resized.png
John

Imaging scope Stellavue SV80S on a Losmandy G11 mount. Roll off roof observatory.
Software: PixInsight, SGPro, Phd2.