Iris Nebula - reprocess w/ new flats - round 2

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Iris Nebula - reprocess w/ new flats - round 2

Post by bobharmony »

In my search to reduce noise in my stacked images, I have been working with Stuart to produce flats that average out at half the maximum ADU value of the Canon 60D. Up to this point I have been using the AV function of the camera to determine the flats exposure. When I used the AP Lab program to measure those flats, they showed an average ADU of about 2K, much less than the 15.3K maximum ADU reported by APLab. By reducing the brightness setting on my light panel and adding a sheet of white paper between the panel and the scope opening, I was able to get the average ADU up to 7.6K with a 1/20" exposure.

I then stacked the image with the new flats using DSS, then processed the image in StarTools and compared it to my results with the original AV flats, and have reported on the differences in the thread I started on flats troubles back in October. That thread includes images of the AV flats result, and the brighter new set of flats, along with my observations on the differences. That report can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3914&start=60#p42263

To bring out a bit more of the dark nebulosity, I loaded the finished ST image into PhotoShop and did a bit of levels and contrast adjustments to produce the image I post here. It is the best version to my eye that I have managed yet. Comments and questions are welcome!
Iris KS 1-20 flats ST PS.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Iris Nebula - reprocess w/ new flats - round 2

Post by Baskevo »

That is awesome Bob! I'm happy you were able to get the flats working! It's a pain in the butt but it is definitely worth it! Stuart is very helpful with flats :)
It looks really great!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Bob,

What image acquisition program were you using to take the original (AV setting) flats?

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very good bob!
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Great repro Bob! You have really shaped up a fine image!

I wasn’t sure how you measured the flats though. Did you use AP Lab? I like AP Lab, but will try the APT flats wizard too.

Again, fine work! Do you feel that the flats quality was mostly responsible for the better image or was it all factors combined?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I'm lost with respect to the technical details and the remedy, however I do know this is a beautiful and captivating image. Thanks for sharing your updated image, Bob.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

JayTee wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:23 am Bob,

What image acquisition program were you using to take the original (AV setting) flats?

JT
JT - I have been using BackyardEOS for flats as long as I have been collecting calibration frames. The camera does the work in that scenario, as the camera gets set to the AV position, and BYEOS just goes along for the ride. The BYEOS histogram looks good when the flats are taken, but measurement with AP Lab tells a different story. I think BYEOS applies a temporary stretch to the displayed flat image for display purposes, and bases the histogram on the stretched image.

The latest flats were taken using APT, and I controlled the exposure time manually, then measured the flats with the AP Lab program. I would have done the same thing with BYEOS, but am looking to migrate to APT, so went that route for the latest flats. The APT histogram peaks all the way to the right, but AP Lab reports the actual saturation level.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:52 am Great repro Bob! You have really shaped up a fine image!

I wasn’t sure how you measured the flats though. Did you use AP Lab? I like AP Lab, but will try the APT flats wizard too.

Again, fine work! Do you feel that the flats quality was mostly responsible for the better image or was it all factors combined?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim - I used AP Lab to analyze the flats for ADU levels. I have read about the APT flats wizard, my impression is that it is intended for dedicated astro cams, not for DSLRs. Thanks for the nice comments.

I went into detail of the two images in the thread linked in my original post. In short, I processed both images in StarTools using the same process flow, and got more detail and better color from the new flats, so I would give them a lot of credit for the improvement. Both StarTools results are shown in that thread, but I will put them here too.

New flats process:
Iris KS 1-20 flats ST.jpg
AV flats process:
Iris KS AV flats ST.jpg
Bob

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Jim - I used AP Lab to analyze the flats for ADU levels. I have read about the APT flats wizard, my impression is that it is intended for dedicated astro cams, not for DSLRs. Thanks for the nice comments.

I went into detail of the two images in the thread linked in my original post. In short, I processed both images in StarTools using the same process flow, and got more detail and better color from the new flats, so I would give them a lot of credit for the improvement. Both StarTools results are shown in that thread, but I will put them here too.

Bob
That really is amazing improvement Bob!

AP Lab is easy enough to use. My mid peak histogram flats read a very low adu in AP Lab. I will give it a try for sure.

Amazing difference!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Both BYE and APT use the AV setting to take the flats. The reason I asked was that if you did use APT to acquire your flats on the AV setting, given the results that you got from AP Lab I wonder if you should drop Ivo an email telling him your exploits. Ivo may then be able to explain how APT determines the settings for the histogram for the flats and/or he may be able to make an adjustment in the way APT takes the flats based on your findings and research.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 pm Both BYE and APT use the AV setting to take the flats. The reason I asked was that if you did use APT to acquire your flats on the AV setting, given the results that you got from AP Lab I wonder if you should drop Ivo an email telling him your exploits. Ivo may then be able to explain how APT determines the settings for the histogram for the flats and/or he may be able to make an adjustment in the way APT takes the flats based on your findings and research.

Cheers,
JT
This sounds like a good idea to me! I think I will do that!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Wonderful improvement Bob.

It's taken me a long time to figure out how to take good flats with my DSLR. I use BYEOS to capture my Flats, but, I use Pixinsight to measure the results and then adjust the exposure time in BYEOS to get the proper Flats exposure time.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great work, Bob!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Big improvement Bob, beautiful image!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
JohnP_1 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JohnP_1 »

Well done Bob! Nice reprocess.
The Eagle's Nest - Bortle 4-5 sky - scopes: Celestron C8 SCT w/MOTOFOCUS; ES ED102 APO CF MoonLite w/auto focus! FR/FF(s): Starizona SCT Corrector; Stellarvue 0.8 FR/FF; Explore Scientific 1.0 FF Filters: 1.25 inch - Orion Ha (1.25in), 2 inch - UHC, polarizer, Orion Sky Glow, Astronomik CLS-CCD Mount: Celestron AVX Cameras: Canon 60d (modded); Atik 383L+ OSC Guiding: Olivon OAG; ZWO ASI120MM; QHY QHY5-II Mono
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Looks great Bob!

APLab is my Flats savior!!! It was such a struggle trying to find out if I had half ADU until using APLab and poor [mention]Stuart[/mention] had to read my same issues over and over when I was fighting with PI readings on ADU :)
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 pm Looks great Bob!

APLab is my Flats savior!!! It was such a struggle trying to find out if I had half ADU until using APLab and poor @Stuart had to read my same issues over and over when I was fighting with PI readings on ADU :)
Agreed, APLabs is a great tool for this (and I am so happy that Stu has been so patient with a bunch of us )!

Bob