HorseHead and Flame WIP 2019

Post your DSO images here.
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

HorseHead and Flame WIP 2019

Post by Astrovetteman »

Here's my first installment, for this year, of the HorseHead and Flame Nebulas. I've been trying to get enough data to process, over the last 3 weeks...weather's been CRAPPY!!!! I managed to get around 4 hours each of H-Alpha, SII, and OIII with the NP127 and at the same time got around 6 hours of RGB and 6 hours of L (various exposure times..60s, 180s, 300s, and 420s) with the TV-85. So I threw it all together and this is what came out. Not happy with the blue halos around some of the stars and I'm not real happy with the color...but hey, more exposure time might make it better!
Anyway, hope ya like it, so far!
Tom :telescopewink:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: HorseHead and Flame WIP 2019

Post by UlteriorModem »

Very Dynamic! Great stuff!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Wow! That's a beauty Tom. You also did a super job of taming Alnitak. :clap:
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Ken_nneth Norway
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ken_nneth »

Oh thats nice. I really like this. Great job.
Clear Skies
[media][/size][/media]Kenneth
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Ken_nneth/

ZWO SEESTAR S50
PixInsight
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Wow....just Wow. Beautiful Tom :text-thankyouyellow:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Fantastic!
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

That's just awesome!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Startling details! Beautifully rendered! To repeat Steve … AWESOME. And wouldn't you know it, I came here to post my own single-frame image of the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas but now I hesitate.

... But I'm going to go ahead and post my capture from 3/11/19 as a sort of a tutorial between an okay nice image of the Horsehead using the rather simple single-frame capture protocol I generally use as compared to what Tom and other advanced astro-photographers can do by stacking multiple images and pulling out all the stops in post-production. Different strokes and all that but clearly in the final analysis some strokes are visually better than others! BTW, I just scrolled back up to take another peek and … WOW. I could look at that image for an hour and find still more subtle details.

Tom, this is one of the best ground-based image I've seen of the Horsehead Nebula region but I have to admit I haven't seen them all either, even on this site.

Very, very well done. Another piece of incredibly eye candy for those who are really into celestial images, both visually and photographically.

Tom, altogether from data acquisition to post-production, how many hours do you have in this particular capture? Whatever the number, it's clearly worth every minute.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

Tom,

this is fantastic.

Dan
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm Startling details! Beautifully rendered! To repeat Steve … AWESOME. And wouldn't you know it, I came here to post my own single-frame image of the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas but now I hesitate.

... But I'm going to go ahead and post my capture from 3/11/19 as a sort of a tutorial between an okay nice image of the Horsehead using the rather simple single-frame capture protocol I generally use as compared to what Tom and other advanced astro-photographers can do by stacking multiple images and pulling out all the stops in post-production. Different strokes and all that but clearly in the final analysis some strokes are visually better than others! BTW, I just scrolled back up to take another peek and … WOW. I could look at that image for an hour and find still more subtle details.

Tom, this is one of the best ground-based image I've seen of the Horsehead Nebula region but I have to admit I haven't seen them all either, even on this site.

Very, very well done. Another piece of incredibly eye candy for those who are really into celestial images, both visually and photographically.

Tom, altogether from data acquisition to post-production, how many hours do you have in this particular capture? Whatever the number, it's clearly worth every minute.
Thanks Hank for all the nice comments! To answer your question about how much time....there's really only about 12 hours actual imaging time ( I use a side-by-side, so I take NB with one scope and RGB or L with the other, simultaneously ), and probably about 10-12 hours processing time... I always mess around trying different settings in Pixinsight to get things the way I want them....there's just SO many ways to process Nebulas, especially with NB.
Thanks Again!! :text-thankyoublue:
Tom
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

dcrowson wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:45 pm Tom,

this is fantastic.

Dan
Hey Dan, thanks very much!! The weather this Fall has not been cooperating....but I've tried to get out whenever it's been clear...just wish it would be nice when the Moon wasn't interfering too much!!
Thanks Again :text-thankyouyellow: !!
Tom
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Beautiful details on the Horsehead Tom - Look forward to any/all updates.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Tom, for your tutorial on all the hard work that went into producing such a compelling and beautiful image of a very, very difficult DSO. An image like this would have been virtually impossible ten or fifteen years ago using land-based, moderately-sized "amateur" telescope and reasonably-priced software and computing power. And you did all this through a five-inch piece of glass … well, a lot of 21st Century technology, figuring and engineering did go into that 3-piece apochromatic objective

Such state-of-the-art imaging is breathtaking … and inspirational. And the real kicker is … you still think you can do better! Heh!

More please.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Tom,

another masterpiece of yours, and right timing to the Thangsgiving,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks amazing! Great work, Tom!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I've been pondering, Tom … oh, oh, now you're all are in trouble! I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I think I may have had a minor epiphany of sorts.

I don't know if this is the place to throw this idea out and maybe I'm unaware if this question has been posed before and I'm simply repeating someone (years) before me regarding amateur astrophotography and the efficacy of stacking a long series of images, but here goes.

Query: I know that with every single frame we digitally capture, we're actually recording "data", photonic data. And how much data is dependent upon how long the imaging device (CCD/CMOS) is exposed to this train of photons. And we also know that there are only so many photons which are raining down through a given optical aperture on a second-by-second basis (I won't get into objective size and f-ratios since these only determine how concentrated these photons are per square millimeter of CCD/CMOS or retina). So I ask, what exactly is stacking accomplishing?

I'm no physicist, but I do have a working knowledge of optics/optical theory, photography in general, viewing conditions, (old school) film "grain", digital noise, and the construction/design of our eyes and why they see what they see as it all relates to our collective astronomical pursuits both visually and photographically. I would be interested in other members' thoughts or clarifications on this topic.

At this point in my general ignorance of the topic of stacking and other post-production manipulations and given my own (limited) understanding of the various factors involved in digital image manipulation, I make these personal observations:

1) The final quality and "fineness" of any astronomical image will never exceed the absolute resolving power of the main objective used to capture a native image or series of images though there are highly sophisticated CGI software which can appear to potentially do just that. In my opinion, in effect, stacking and other post-production manipulations can never resolve any more detail than what the main primary optic can resolve (per Dawes limit) though it may APPEAR that the Dawes limit is being exceeded because of the stunning clarity and the fully resolved details of the final image.

2) In effect, what astronomical image stacking, combined with other post-production techniques, is actually doing is artificially or synthetically creating a final image which essentially cancels out the distorting effects of this planet's atmosphere as well as inherent electronic noise. It also "cancels out" the effects of artificial lights, ionized "skyglow" an other photonic atmospheric effects.

3) Multiple image stacking and other attendant post-production manipulation also fill in "data gaps". The more images stacked, the more potential for those "gaps" to be filled. In effect, stacking images (and flats and darks) smooths the "grain", extends the dynamic range as well as cancels out most of the "noise" found in digital imaging itself.

My conclusion. In many (if not all) cases what we're witnessing with respect those extremely high-quality (and highly-processed) stacked images many members here are posting, give us a pretty good idea what their equipment is capable of imaging IF THEIR OPTICAL SET-UP WAS IN ORBIT ABOVE ALL OF EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE … near perfect guiding is assumed, of course.

End of musing ...
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

The D range is amazing, and the detail is impressive.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Tom, I love the dusty details you have pulled out of the data. This may be the best Horsehead region images I have seen!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

pretty good image as expected (it's actually superb!)from an advance imager like you.it can be such a horrible task to image this target. the halos are fine, the image is almost perfect, i only see a small defect that captures my eye which is the streak of blue,a strange diffraction from the bright star Alnitak, you'll have to post some of your processing procedures. when ever i image with that star in the field of view it is a nightmare , the halo and diffraction stretchers over the horsehead nebula. it looks like most users have better success with a refractor over a newt with this target.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

jerrysykes United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jerrysykes »

Outstanding, Tom!!! As usual.
Telescopes: Skywatcher120pro ED, Skywatcher80pro ED, Meade 8inch SCT, Orion ST80
Mounts: CGEM, AVX
Cameras: Atik 383 color, ZWO 224mc, Canon t5i,
Autoguider: Orion SSAG