M45 The Pleiades and out reach

Post your DSO images here.
jerrysykes United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M45 The Pleiades and out reach

Post by jerrysykes »

I was already set up and started taking this image when my daughter and son in law called and asked if they could bring over a couple of folks from their church group to look thru a scope.
Well, about 12 nice folks showed up. Mostly Dads, Moms and children.

While my set up was just clicking away, Ray (the son in law) went into the garage and brought out my CGEM and 120 refractor. He then proceeded to set the scope up, get the 2/4 star alignment done and started showing the folks different objects in the sky. All the while explaining how the go-to and tracking worked. It was fun watching him do his thing. We have taken a lot of pictures together so I guess he has learned quite a bit.

Then I made a mistake. One of the guests came over to me and asked if I had a picture of M31 which happened to be the object Ray was showing them. Soooo I pulled up the picture of M31 on the laptop I was imaging with. After he was done looking and remarking about the huge difference between looking thru an eyepiece and seeing the image, I clicked on the x and instead of closing the picture file I shut down the capture program. Realizing what I'd done I started the program back up and all looked well. All I had to do was restart the cooling fan...right?

About an hour later as everyone was leaving I happened to look at the computer screen and realized I hadn't clicked on the save image box, damn.
It was getting late and I was freezing so I just shut it down and called it a night. Any way.

23x240 sec lights with darks, flats and bias frames
80mm refractor with .85 fr/ff, Atik 383OSC on my autoguided AVX
M45-Best-11319-jpeg.JPG
Telescopes: Skywatcher120pro ED, Skywatcher80pro ED, Meade 8inch SCT, Orion ST80
Mounts: CGEM, AVX
Cameras: Atik 383 color, ZWO 224mc, Canon t5i,
Autoguider: Orion SSAG
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M45 The Pleiades and out reach

Post by Juno16 »

Man, Jerry, sounds like you have trained Ray well!

You managed to pull in a nice image despite distractions.

Sounds like a fun evening.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Well, well, well.
Don't that just knock your socks off! 😊
This is a very nice M45, Jerry, in spite of it all.

Thank you for sharing this episode.
More clear skies, and uninterrupted imaging to you Sir !
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's a great image Jerry, in spite of it all! And that was real nice letting a group of people enjoy some viewing time. Sounds like you have a nice family as well! :D

Good for you and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Hey, Jerry, it was all for a good cause! Sorry you lost some data but I've horsed up any number of single-frame exposures to other visitors interest in the night sky. Obviously you had a good attitude about things but think of the incalculable interest you generated in others, especially looking at your laptop images. Now how cool is that! How many people get to see a working amateur astornomer's inventory of images? If I were one of those visitors, I'd be blown away!

And that's incredible the number of people who showed up for your night sky safari for a personal look-see when it's so much easier for them to go online, do an image search of "celestial objects" or "Hubble images" and be content with what one sees there.

There have been times when Don Quixote (Mark) and I have been at our Middle Fork Forest Preserve Penfield site - which is now nationally recognized as an Illinois "dark site" as of June of this year - and people show up to do a little star gazing themselves. They see what we are doing and come over to converse. Mark is a real good-natured (and highly-informed) champ in immediately interrupting his own visual agenda and letting people eyeball various deep-sky objects - as dim as they may visually be - and I will try to image the same object with my Canon camera(s) so they can get an idea from my LCD viewer what a camera sees with a 30 second to one minute exposure!

I've had several people tell me on the spot they want to use their own cameras or even cellphones for possible landscape/night sky photography in the future or confirm their own excitement in actually eyeballing so many celestial objects with a GoTo mounted telescope after a short session with Mark.

Mark is an incredible and knowledgeable ambassador for our celestial hobby and he never fails to answer a question put to him about astronomy and the night sky! And clearly you did the same which must have been very rewarding for you.

There does appear to be a great interest, with a certain segment of our society, in the night sky. Some people of all ages come out to the Penfield site just to watch for meteors. And with so many eyeballs on the heavenly vault, invariably three, five, ten people are collectively going to see at least five to eight meteors, maybe more. When that happens it gets them all excited at one another's successes in spotting such transitory visitors to our planet.

When the visitors leave I think to myself, "Welcome to our addiction, fellow citizens!" One night we had four students from India show up for several hours and Mark rolled out the red carpet. They were excited as can be and one of them was familiar with the night sky. Watching Mark in action while I was imaging (I showed them what I was doing) was really pretty rewarding. Heh!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
jerrysykes United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jerrysykes »

Thanks Henry. Like Mark and yourself, I really enjoy introducing folks to the night sky and answering their questions.

But I have to say the most satisfaction I felt that evening was standing back and watching my son in law set up the second scope finding targets, explaining to the group what he was doing and answering their questions.

When Ray showed the group a few pictures we had taken one of the guys said that no one could take that kind of picture from their front yard. Well, he watched me taking the posted picture and Ray emailed him a copy of it yesterday.
I guess he believes it now.
Telescopes: Skywatcher120pro ED, Skywatcher80pro ED, Meade 8inch SCT, Orion ST80
Mounts: CGEM, AVX
Cameras: Atik 383 color, ZWO 224mc, Canon t5i,
Autoguider: Orion SSAG
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

jerrysykes wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm Thanks Henry. Like Mark and yourself, I really enjoy introducing folks to the night sky and answering their questions.

But I have to say the most satisfaction I felt that evening was standing back and watching my son in law set up the second scope finding targets, explaining to the group what he was doing and answering their questions.

When Ray showed the group a few pictures we had taken one of the guys said that no one could take that kind of picture from their front yard. Well, he watched me taking the posted picture and Ray emailed him a copy of it yesterday.
Yes, Jerry, I get this part loud and clear.
I don't think there is much in life that is more rewarding, more satisfying, than this kind kindred experience we have with our sons and sons-in-law.

Thank you again for sharing the spirit of this sentiment.
patrickdives
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by patrickdives »

Jerry, first of all, nice image of M45! It sounds like you've spent a lot of time with your son in law and educating him on the set up of the equipment. It is nice having family members who are interested in the hobby. I am fortunate to have a wife and 10 year old and 11 year old stepsons who enjoy the telescope. With sharing your scopes, you may be the catalyst in a new stargazer.
Equipment: Obsession Classic 15, Televue Ethos (13, 21, 6) Televue Nagler (22, 31), Explore Scientific (6.7, 18),
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

jerrysykes wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm Thanks Henry. Like Mark and yourself, I really enjoy introducing folks to the night sky and answering their questions.

I think that's so cool that you've instilled in your son-in-law an excitement for backyard/frontyard astronomy and that he's so proficient in the craft. I wish I could say the same about my three sons! They like looking at the astro-photos from time to time that I email them but none of the three have ever exhibited anywhere near the interest that your son-in-law has in the hobby. You must get a really deep sense of satisfaction in what your own handiwork and passion for astronomy has created in a close family member to where he's become a pro-astronomy self-starter!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

When visitors arrive, it all changes... I know that one... Nice grab all the same.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC