Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Orion Nebula revisited

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Get an Orion six-inch f/4 fast Newtonian. They can't weigh more than 20 pounds without a piggyback (I have my Meade 70mm f/5 mounted on my six-incher - something else you might consider but the Meade 70mm f/5 astrographs are relatively high dollar) and you won't see any real difference in resolving power anyway under less than perfect skies and the six-inchers are cheaper! 8-inch f/4 Newtonians are going to weigh between 28 and 30 pounds.

Believe it or not, I picked my "little" Orion 6 f/4 up on sale, new, for $299 on clearance! Look around and wait patiently, these little six-inch f/4 fast Newtonians are very powerful imaging tools. But be warned, you will have to know how to collimate them or at least keep the factory collimation trued up. Pretty steep learning curve on that but very rewarding when you finally have the special collimation steps down pat. There are good online tutorials on collimating fast Newtonians. Read them first before you purchase one and I'm sure there are any number of members on TSS who can efficiently explain how it's done. Collimating an f/4 Newtonian is a bit different and more difficult than even an f/5 or f/6. And f/8s are easy-peasy from my own experience.

Just plug "Pickering scale" into any online search engine like Google or whatnot, Steve. It's a one to ten scale and it's a relative measure of seeing conditions. In fact, there are sites which give a visual aid for each step on the scale so you can compare it to the star images you are visually seeing through a telescope. You won't be able to divine seeing conditions through a telephoto on your camera. The less a star image "shimmers" the higher on the Pickering scale is your basic seeing conditions. Sky transparency and sky darkness are measured different ways. I believe the Bortle scale (a one to nine scale) measures sky brightness/darkness which is not the same as transparency, though they are roughly related to one another. There are members here who use the Bortle scale to describe the skies they imaged under.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I did a little more reading on the Pickering scale as I was only familiar with the Bortle ratings.

I am right on the edge of this map where it turns to Bortle 5.5. Sucks to be me in the AP world.

In regards to a telescope replacement, I will wait until next year and not do my usual buy and remorse later.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.17.47 PM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

yeah, light pollution is the great enemy ... but you're doing great all the same.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC