New Image: Messier 101 With Supernova (SN 2023ixf)

Post your DSO images here.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: Messier 101 With Supernova (SN 2023ixf)

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

A little late to the party, but I I've been trying!

Took me four nights of setting up to capture 5.5 hours of data on M101 and its supernova SN 2023ixf. My first supernova image!
Really fickle weather (clouds). My last outing before this was M63 back on 4/16/23.
Actually, it is pouring outside as I write this!

Not only were the clouds giving me fits, but when it was clear, my Bortle 7 sky, >50% moon, and nearby white strobe flashing communications tower all chimed in to “enhance” imaging!

I’m impressed how well PHD2 can re-acquire a guide star after many clouded out light frames!

M101 has always been a challenging target for me to process. Although I was primarily interested in the SN, a palatable galaxy image is nice!

My first time processing both the galaxy (starless) and linear stars with GHS.
The stars (including the SN) were not processed at all besides stretching.
A few bumps in saturation (Curves) were the only color processes used.

I was happy with the delicate light blue/Ha coloration look of the galaxy and the yellowish core.

227 light frames at 90 seconds with my ASI533 MC-Pro using a IDAS LPS D-1 filter.
Explore Scientific ED102 (Essential Series) with Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF
Skywatcher HEQ Pro (Rowan mod)
Captured with N.I.N.A. with PHD2 and GreenSwampServer
Processed in Pixinsight

Thanks for looking and comments very welcome!

Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Image: Messier 101 With Supernova (SN 2023ixf)

Post by messier 111 »

considering all the bright pitfalls, you managed to bring out the best I believe. thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Nice image Jim! I am in the process of capturing data on this target as well. I hope mine turns out as well as yours did.
This will be my first SN capture… something new, so it brings a refreshing renewal of excitement to me.
Thanks for posting.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

You got it, Jim!
Lookin' good 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

messier 111 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:39 pm considering all the bright pitfalls, you managed to bring out the best I believe. thx .

Absolutely!

I had to take a shot!

BTW, I used my Telegizmos cover for three nights. It worked great. During the day, the temps were close to 90F. Felt nice under the cover.

Kerry C. wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 pm Nice image Jim! I am in the process of capturing data on this target as well. I hope mine turns out as well as yours did.
This will be my first SN capture… something new, so it brings a refreshing renewal of excitement to me.
Thanks for posting.
Kerry

Thanks Kerry!

Definitely impacted by the lp though. Wish that I had much more data. I am thinking of folding in some M101 data from 2021 to help out the galaxy a bit. But, SN 2023ixf was (is) the star of the show.

I tried my usual methods of stretching this image (EZ Soft Stretch and STF/HT). I feel comfortable with those methods. However, the SN was blown out pretty bad. It had a bright blue halo that was very unattractive.
I used a light GHS stretch on the linear stars only image and the SN came out nicely. Just something to pass on.

Yes, the SN was the inspiration for sure. I've imaged M101 before and never got a result that I was happy with. The SN is a rare and limited time event.

Looking forward to your image!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ylem wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:54 pm You got it, Jim!
Lookin' good 👍

Thank you Jeff!
Jim

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great image Jim… keep up the nice work!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Beautiful image Jim, supernova or not.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:17 am Great image Jim… keep up the nice work!

Thanks Steve. Tough going’s recently with the weather.

Good to get out and “exercise” a bit.

SkyHiker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:54 am Beautiful image Jim, supernova or not.

Thanks Henk.
Processing this target has always kicked my butt.
I was very glad to get a decent color balance using only bumps in saturation.
The SN was the main motivation!
Much appreciated Henk!
Jim

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nicely done Jim, I love it! You made cake out of crumbs with your conditions.. I'm not (yet) a DSO person but I can relate to your issues and you got a great capture! I didn't realise how seriously bright it is.

Nice you were able to get this done; a lifetime experience for sure :D I hope you have some clearer skies soon as in the poring rain stops....

I'm so happy for you on getting the SN, well done!!!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:22 am Nicely done Jim, I love it! You made cake out of crumbs with your conditions.. I'm not (yet) a DSO person but I can relate to your issues and you got a great capture! I didn't realise how seriously bright it is.

Nice you were able to get this done; a lifetime experience for sure :D I hope you have some clearer skies soon as in the poring rain stops....

I'm so happy for you on getting the SN, well done!!!

Hey Mark!
Yeah, lots of sky garbage. 5 1/2 hours collected over 4 nights isn't squat, but looking at the scope out in the yard gave me a nice warm feeling!

Actually, the SN is much brighter in some images that I have seen. The brightness of the SN seems to make it look blown out and halo'ed with a color fringe. I toned it down quite a bit and even still, it is super bright. Heck, it's 21 million lights years away!

Thanks for the nice comments my friend!
Jim

JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Dang, Jim! You knocked it out of the park. Excellent capture of the galaxy and the nova.
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JSBach1801 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:07 am Dang, Jim! You knocked it out of the park. Excellent capture of the galaxy and the nova.

Thanks a bunch Lyle!

Hey, I just uploaded a new version with more pop and saturation. Please let me know if I went too far!!!

Jim

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Awesome! Great work, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Juno16 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:44 am
JSBach1801 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:07 am Dang, Jim! You knocked it out of the park. Excellent capture of the galaxy and the nova.

Thanks a bunch Lyle!

Hey, I just uploaded a new version with more pop and saturation. Please let me know if I went too far!!!

Jim, I took a long hard look at the two images side by side. I can certainly see the adjusted saturation come out in the blue of the galaxy. However, it does seem like the background blacks are a tad nosier as a result of your tweaks, but not by much. I think they both look good!
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Beautiful image !!
The only thing I know for sure about deep sky imaging is that it is a lot more challenging that what I do .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JSBach1801 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Thanks a bunch Lyle!

Jim, I took a long hard look at the two images side by side. I can certainly see the adjusted saturation come out in the blue of the galaxy. However, it does seem like the background blacks are a tad nosier as a result of your tweaks, but not by much. I think they both look good!

Hi Lyle,
Thanks for taking a look. I do see the difference in the background noise. I didn't see it (or even look) when I bumped up the saturation and contrast. It is at a pretty low level and I really don't mind a little bit of noise (it's kind of normal to have a trace). Of course, with NoiseXTerminator, it is easily eliminated!
I really appreciate you looking and commenting. For now, I will just leave it. I think that I got bit carried away with saturation and will revise the image again (it never stops!).
The nice thing about Astrobin is that you can upload 5 revisions per image (Premium Plan) and unlimited revisions (Ultimate Plan). Of course, you pay for it, but I like to keep it all for posterity!

Solsearcher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 pm Beautiful image !!
The only thing I know for sure about deep sky imaging is that it is a lot more challenging that what I do .

Thank you Mike!

I wish that my weather was better and I could have captured more time on the galaxy. Haha, it's always I wish and is never enough!

I don't know because I have never tried solar. It looks very challenging and your images are really amazing.
Jim

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Juno16 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:55 pm
JSBach1801 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Thanks a bunch Lyle!

Solsearcher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 pm Beautiful image !!

Thank you Mike!

I wish that my weather was better and I could have captured more time on the galaxy. Haha, it's always I wish and is never enough!

I don't know because I have never tried solar. It looks very challenging and your images are really amazing.
Thank you Jim ,
By comparison solar imaging is very easy for many reasons . We can do everything in daylight and the data we need for an image can usually be gathered in less than a minute . Sky conditions are important but we only need minutes between clouds for a good capture .
I admire anyone doing deep sky , you all have many more challenges than we do . I do understand what goes into capturing deep sky images and it makes me appreciate them more .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Beautiful image(s) Jim. Great catch on this SN.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Nice to get the SN to show up so clearly in the image.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC