Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The Bubble Nebula

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi There

I managed to get some data on the bubble nebula last night before I had to rush my telescope in because of the rain, I'm hoping to get some more data on tonight Hopely, this was 38x180seconds 20 darks 50 flats, there is an annoying amp glow on the right of my images the my new camera gives out that I struggle to get rid of so any advice would be greatly appreciated, it was processed in Pi insight and Photoshop all comments welcome and thanks for looking here they are:

BUBBLE 3.jpg
BUBBLE 1.jpg
:icon-smile:

:observatory: Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Bubble Nebula

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Here's a larger image i think
large bubble.jpg

Thanks

Rhoda
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi Rhoda,

Thats looking pretty good. The one identified as BUBBLE1 is really the best but would be nice if it was bigger so we could assess it more easily..

Amp glow is a known factor with the 183mc but it should calibrate out without too much issue if you do the following:

1. Make sure your lights and darks are exactly matched for time, temp, gain and offset
2. Do NOT use any form of optimisation or scaling of the darks. If you follow 1 above you dont need to. In PI make sure the box for Optimize darks in the calibration setting section of WBPP ( I dont know DSS well enough to tell you where to find it there)
3. Do not use bias
4. Take dark-flats matched to the flats for time, temp gain and offset and use them in calibration. Again do not use bias.

If you do that I think that you will find the amp glow is calibrated out

if you are still stacking in DSS I would suggest you try doing it in WBPP in Pixinsight. I gave up on DSS years ago as it was, for me, just too hit and miss.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 am Hi Rhoda,

Thats looking pretty good. The one identified as BUBBLE1 is really the best but would be nice if it was bigger so we could assess it more easily..

Amp glow is a known factor with the 183mc but it should calibrate out without too much issue if you do the following:

1. Make sure your lights and darks are exactly matched for time, temp, gain and offset
2. Do NOT use any form of optimisation or scaling of the darks. If you follow 1 above you dont need to. In PI make sure the box for Optimize darks in the calibration setting section of WBPP ( I dont know DSS well enough to tell you where to find it there)
3. Do not use bias
4. Take dark-flats matched to the flats for time, temp gain and offset and use them in calibration. Again do not use bias.

If you do that I think that you will find the amp glow is calibrated out

if you are still stacking in DSS I would suggest you try doing it in WBPP in Pixinsight. I gave up on DSS years ago as it was, for me, just too hit and miss.
David, how do i get my images bigger i have tried nearly everything, any ideas?

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

How are you resizing your image before you post it here?
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 am How are you resizing your image before you post it here?
I just do the crop in pixinsight.

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 am How are you resizing your image before you post it here?
I assume you're savings as a JPG in Pixinsight

Choose 100%
Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 7.39.10 AM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

When you select an image in Pixinsight, the image size is shown at the bottom of the window

What do you see here on your image size should be the full sensor size before cropping an image. When you save at 100% JPG it will be the full size.

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 7.41.53 AM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

OK, so i dont understand how they are coming out like this. You are saving them as jpegs but they are very very small.

So heres some things to make sure of;

First, how are you saving your files in APT - what format, you need to be saving as fits. Then;

1. Make sure that when you stack you are saving the output as a 32 bit fits. If you are saving the stack as a jpeg then you are lost before you start. And that could be explaining a lot of things. Try stacking in PI (as i suggested above) that will output a 32bit xisf.
2. Do not resize at any point during your processing in PI. If you save the file, make sure you save it as 32bit xisf
3. look at the bottom RHS of the PI window, this tells you important information
Capture.JPG

#1 is the image size in pixels - yours should be around 5496 x 3672. If its not then the image has been compressed at some stage which makes it nearly impossible to process well.
#2 is the bit size - this is 32 bit. If it says 16 or 8 then you are working on a lower bit level than optimum. 16 may be ok, 8 will not.

4. When you have completed your processing you should save the file as an XISF at full size. Then you need to resize to get to a size to post on here. So open Resample in PI, and chage the percentage to, maybe 50% and apply that to the image.
Capture2.JPG

5. Then save the image as a jpeg from PI, leave the quality at 80. Then look at the new jpeg file. You want it to be at least 1000 kb (less than 5000 which is the post limit) If its too big, go back to resample and reduce it further. if its too small, step back in PI and resample at maybe 75%
6. Then you can post it in here at a size we will be able to see more clearly.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 pm
5. Then save the image as a jpeg from PI, leave the quality at 80. Then look at the new jpeg file. You want it to be at least 1000 kb (less than 5000 which is the post limit) If its too big, go back to resample and reduce it
You're telling her to save at 80% while I am saying 100%

Since she uses Flickr, just post the full-size image in JPG or PNG format there vs. a reduced size here on TSS
Steve

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Mac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:40 pm
I assume you're savings as a JPG in Pixinsight

Choose 100%

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 7.39.10 AM.png
The difficulty is that with Rhoda's sensor size, saving a jpeg at quality 100 without first resizing will produce a file too large to post up here.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Your images above are 400 x 270 or just over 1MP, 1/2 the size of the 800x600 images you previously posted.

Your sensor size is 18mp, or 18 times larger. More pixels, better detail.
Steve

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Mac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:10 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 pm
5. Then save the image as a jpeg from PI, leave the quality at 80. Then look at the new jpeg file. You want it to be at least 1000 kb (less than 5000 which is the post limit) If its too big, go back to resample and reduce it
You're telling her to save at 80% while I am saying 100%

Since she uses Flickr, just post the full-size image in JPG or PNG format there vs. a reduced size here on TSS
Cool, look forward to seeing how you two get on.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:14 pm
The difficulty is that with Rhoda's sensor size, saving a jpeg at quality 100 without first resizing will produce a file too large to post up here.
She needs to grasp how to export images at full size and how to determine the image size and quality.

One clue something is wrong is the severely pixelated signature on your image. If you can't read that then the image quality is going to be very poor too.
Also, add your signature AFTER all processing has been done and if you're going to reprocess, go back to a TIFF original, not the lower resolution JPG version.
Steve

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice work MG, I have nothing to add on the advice side, looks well covered. Oh, I would save as a as a .tiff rather than a .jpeg personally, and link the BB code from flikr.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

If you're exporting from Pixinsight to do final processing in Photoshop, Luminar or Lightroom, save it as a 16bit TIFF image, keep that image and edit a copy so you will have an original to go back to.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

If you post a small image here on TSS, the image will be zoomed to fill the frame and produce terrible results.

Here is a direct link to your 2nd image, note how small it is. The first one is ~ 800x600

download/file.php?id=33456&t=1
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I think this illustrates the issue best. Here is your 2nd image, shown in its original size as viewed on my monitor. My images fill this screen.
Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 9.27.09 AM.png
Steve

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Mac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:29 pm I think this illustrates the issue best. Here is your 2nd image, shown in its original size as viewed on my monitor. My images fill this screen.

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 9.27.09 AM.png
I tried what Tony said saving as i tiff and downloading from flickr let me know if it works better

Imagelarge bubble by Rhoda Mclaren, on Flickr

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

the last one is nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: