The WIzard Nebula HaLRGB

Post your DSO images here.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The WIzard Nebula HaLRGB

Post by OhNo »

Last week I caught some data on NGC7380 with only the Ha filter.Someone asked if I was going to add more data. He specifically asked about adding NB data. Well to tell ya the truth my Optolong Oiii filter sucks. Additionally I find using SHO that my stars all tend to be a monochrome is color. This image is HaLRGB. First I combined last nights LRGB (3each of LRG and B 3 each of LRGB @300 seconds) data in PixInnSight. Then I opened the HA data from June 30, Aligned the Ha data to the combined LRGB. I then removed the stars with StarNet++.

I converted the Ha data image to RGB and masked the nebula to assign a red color to it. Once happy with the shade I Opened the LRGB and adjusted to taste. Finally I combined the LRGB with the Ha (now colorized) using simple pixel math.

In summary the image represents: 9x300 Ha, 3x300 with each LRGB. All shot with a ASI183MM P Optolong and ZWO filters in a SkyWatcher 8" Quattro. Capture and contro; with v1.7.1 Capture/Control OS and processed only in PixInSIght.

Hope it is appealing!

ImageNGC7380 C July2 by Brent Secord, on Flickr
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The WIzard Nebula HaLRGB

Post by KathyNS »

Nice job with the HaLRGB processing!

My favourite combination is HOO (or a variation of it) for the nebula, and RGB (or LRGB) for the stars.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Depending on the sky my Oiii filter can range in Halos from none to absolutley terrible. Frustrating really! Messing with the gain and Offset or exposure time doesn't seem to effect it if it is a halo enviorment night!
Last edited by OhNo on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

OhNo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:44 pm Depending on the sky my Oiii filter can range in Halos from none to absolutley terrible. Frustrating really!
Christmas is only 175 days away. :lol:
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Assuming the inflation rate doesn't go more beszerk! :o I'd rather eat and/or be able to drive to town once in a while than worry about halos!
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Bummer about the filter.

But even with that handicap, you got a really nice image.

Just a question: I would think you'd get a lot of blue (or at least more blue) just from using the B filter.

I'm total novice when it comes to using a mono camera. So, just wondering.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I too am no filter expert, but, I do know what I like and don't like. My experience with SHO and HOO is growing but it seems that the way I personally process NB data it always leaves me underwhelmed at the stars all being white, while the nebula color is anywhere from ok to great. LRGB seems to assign color too the stars yet disappointing in the Nebula area.

It was Kathy that brought my attention to combining NB with LRGB data. In a thread here on TSS. While a bit more work the results are appealing to me. One of years I am going to gather up all the data I have from a few years of AP on a specific target with the same scope and camera (because I can't afford any new equipment) and put it all together. A member here was thinking about developing a App for making such a task easier. No one ever talks about Data retention and organization. Both of which I am terrible at, combined with a short memory and dyslexia!!!!!

When I look at other peoples images, I always make a mental note of the gear they use to gather their data. What program(s) they use seems to also effect the final outcome. And lets not forget the "ART" side. I have used three manufacturers AP cameras they ALL had habits that required different ways to tame! I would assume filters are the same.
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Well done!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

This is really beautiful.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Nice job adding the additional data and blending it in.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

bobharmony wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:24 pm Nice job adding the additional data and blending it in.

Bob
The image here was easy compared to what I took on this afternoon! Figuring out how to do a 4 panel mosaic in PixInSight with limited data, using PhotometricMosaic and a learning disability, PRICELESS! :lol:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very very nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

OhNo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:14 pm

The image here was easy compared to what I took on this afternoon! Figuring out how to do a 4 panel mosaic in PixInSight with limited data, using PhotometricMosaic and a learning disability, PRICELESS! :lol:
PixInsight is one place I haven't gone to try a mosaic. Of the places I have been (APP, ASTAP, and Microsoft ICE, I am strongly leaning toward APP. Priceless, indeed!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

As my ASI183MM P has such bad amp glow APP just doesn't cut it! (and not for lack of trying) Am still waiting patiently for ONE program that can do everything I want to do in a few simple steps. I have little to no LP here.... I can't imagine the hoops a urban bubble dweller has to jump through shooting DSOs in the middle of the city!!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

OhNo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:24 am As my ASI183MM P has such bad amp glow APP just doesn't cut it! (and not for lack of trying) Am still waiting patiently for ONE program that can do everything I want to do in a few simple steps. I have little to no LP here.... I can't imagine the hoops a urban bubble dweller has to jump through shooting DSOs in the middle of the city!!!!

First, nice capture and processing on the original image.

I have the ASI1600MM mono camera and also have amp glow. However, after precal with Darks and Flats (Flats corrected with Dark Flats) the amp glow is gone! It is really the Darks that remove the amp glow. Your Darks should remove the amp glow!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Thanks Steve. I'm outta here.