Cygnus Loop mosaic - rework in APP

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Cygnus Loop mosaic - rework in APP

Post by bobharmony »

I recently signed up for a trial of AstroPixelProcessor to see if I could get better results from my mosaic data. My first test was on new data from the North America Nebula which I posted last week. My second attempt was a re-work of Cygnus Loop data I collected last year. Due to uncooperative weather last Summer, I was only able to collect 50 minutes worth of data for each of the 4 panels I shot. At the time I also collected Darks, Flats, and Dark Flats for calibration purposes. Since APP likes using Bias frames for calculating a Bad Pixel Map, I shot 100 of those to add to the mix a couple of weeks ago, not the most timely for data I collected last year, but the best that can be done at this point.

I started out by stacking each of the four panels separately in APP, then loaded them together for the stitching portion. After that was complete, I used the gradient removal tool to clean up the image a bit, then it was off to StarTools for my usual post-processing.
Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST NXT.jpg
I am pleased with the result as I was able to bring out more filament detail than in earlier results. That may have sucked me in to pushing a bit too hard, which is my usual tendency anyway, but I do get a much better feel for the data that is available. I used both the StarTools Shrink and SuperStructure modules to tone down the stars, but looking directly into the arm of the Milky Way is going to generate a lot of background!

Comments and questions are welcome!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Cygnus Loop mosaic - rework in APP

Post by messier 111 »

fine work on redoo , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Bob,

Pretty cool stuff!

Does APP handle post processing too? I have heard nothing but good about APP, but personally, I have not tried it.

The colors are really nice, both the stars and nebulae. The background seems bright to me, but you are right, there are probably a few hundred million stars in the background and I know that you like things on the brighter side too.

I ran a quick 2 second automatic background extraction in Pixinsight just to see how the image would react. I can post if you are interested.

Nice work sir and looking forward to your APP learnings!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Great shot! Maybe give APP's star reduction tool a try before loading it into StarTools. It works really well.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Wow, there is a lot to see here, glad you were able to do the redo, it’s beautiful.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:00 pm Great shot! Maybe give APP's star reduction tool a try before loading it into StarTools. It works really well.

Larry
Thanks, Larry. I think I used the reduction tool on the North America Nebula, but only at the default value of 10%. At that level it was pretty underwhelming.
Juno16 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:58 pm Hey Bob,

Pretty cool stuff!

Does APP handle post processing too? I have heard nothing but good about APP, but personally, I have not tried it.

The colors are really nice, both the stars and nebulae. The background seems bright to me, but you are right, there are probably a few hundred million stars in the background and I know that you like things on the brighter side too.

I ran a quick 2 second automatic background extraction in Pixinsight just to see how the image would react. I can post if you are interested.

Nice work sir and looking forward to your APP learnings!
Hi, Jim. APP has some post-processing tools, mostly sliders for setting gamma, colors, saturation, sharpness, and the like. It appears that most of the development has concentrated on what can be done in the linear state, which I like as I am able to take the output straight into StarTools and run a soup-to-nuts process there. And I don't have to fight with the Wipe module, which has always been my biggest challenge with post-processing.

Yes please, I'd love to see what your quick ABE process produced. I am working my way around to PixInsight eventually, and am focused on APP for mosaics mostly for now. It is the best tool I have come across for putting them together so far, and I am enjoying the process very much.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:20 am
Thanks, Larry. I think I used the reduction tool on the North America Nebula, but only at the default value of 10%. At that level it was pretty underwhelming.
There are 2 sliders. 1 is star size and the other is star intensity. The default for each is 100%. Try pulling back to 70% or so. Keep experimenting. I'm still playing with it myself. Good luck!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Bob,

Sounds like APP is very user friendly. I really like the sliders in PS.

Literally two seconds of automatic background extraction with everything default.

Original:
Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST NXT (1).jpg

A quick ABE:

Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP_RGB_session_1_lpc_cbg_6degCW_1_0x_LZ3_NS_ST_NXT_1__ABE.jpg

Just kind of neutralized the background pink somewhat.

Normally, I do background extraction very early in linear processing, then color calibration.

I personally like a darker background and would drop it down some, but I know that you like bright images. Just personal preference.

Nice work Bob. Looking forward to more!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for sharing that, Jim. I see the difference, the ABE version feels a little flat for my liking. And yes, it is a matter of taste only.

Inspired by your effort I ran the image through a round of ST SuperStructure Isolate to see what that would do. It calms the background, but to my eye it mutes the color less overall. What do you think?
Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST SS isolate NXT.jpg
BTW, I have been hitting all my recent images with Russ Croman's NXT program I love what it does for all my images, old and new.

Bob

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:12 pm Thanks for sharing that, Jim. I see the difference, the ABE version feels a little flat for my liking. And yes, it is a matter of taste only.

Inspired by your effort I ran the image through a round of ST SuperStructure Isolate to see what that would do. It calms the background, but to my eye it mutes the color less overall. What do you think?

Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST SS isolate NXT.jpg

BTW, I have been hitting all my recent images with Russ Croman's NXT program I love what it does for all my images, old and new.

Bob
Oh yes, the ABE image is definitely flat looking. I just wanted to see if it could neutralize the background and it did. Like I was saying, I run background extraction very early in the process. I usually use dynamic background extraction, but in a field such as yours, with almost no clear background, I would try ABE just to see.

Your round of ST really turned out nice. I think that the colors look nice post ST. Again though, I know that you like bold and bright, so you might just have to do some magic in Startools to brighten up the colors to your liking.

All in all, you have produced a really nice image! I'm sure that some tweaking would be fun though. After all, it never ends!

I also am a big time fan of NoiseXterminator (and also StarXterminator). I have started using it in Pixinsight as my only NR tool. I have been running it with light settings in the linear phase and then tweaking it a tad in post. Probably the best add on tool that I have ever "added".

Take care Bob and nice work!
Jim

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Bob. A very successful Cygnus Loop mosaic reprocess. You have outstanding nebulosity filament details in this mosaic and no signs of stitching. Thanks for sharing this new presentation with us on here Bob and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:12 pm Inspired by your effort I ran the image through a round of ST SuperStructure Isolate to see what that would do. It calms the background, but to my eye it mutes the color less overall. What do you think?

Bob
I've had some success running the SuperStructure module again, selecting "Brighten" after keeping the result from "Isolate".

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 pm

I've had some success running the SuperStructure module again, selecting "Brighten" after keeping the result from "Isolate".

Larry
I just gave this a try, Larry - I love the output. I'll have to save a version I can fit here and post it up later - after the Stanley Cup game.

Bob

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

OK so I couldn't wait. Thanks to Larry for the tip on Brighten after Isolate.
Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST SS isolate SS brighten NXT.jpg
If I keep doing mosaics I'm going to have to get an Astrobin account to share full resolution images!

Bob

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:52 pm OK so I couldn't wait. Thanks to Larry for the tip on Brighten after Isolate.

Cygnus_Loop_mosaic_APP-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg--6degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS ST SS isolate SS brighten NXT.jpg

If I keep doing mosaics I'm going to have to get an Astrobin account to share full resolution images!

Bob
Nice work Bob!
Now you can fool around with the "strength" in SuperStructure" when you select "Isolate". Sometimes I pull it back to 80% or so because it seems like it's clipping. I've also increased it to 140% for increased background smoothening... It's a constant experiment...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

The image in post #14 is definitely best. Nice detail in the filaments, which now appear brighter.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice work Bob. There are sooooooo many stars it is a tough one to process.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures