Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Elephant's Trunk Nebula - Pseudo NB Processing

Post by STEVE333 »

This same data was used for both images below, and, was collected with the STC Duo-Narrowband Filter. Earlier I posted a processed version of this data using standard DSLR processing (see second image below). It turned out nice, but, the Elephants Trunk doesn't stand out very well.

I have reprocessed the data (NB processing?) by separating the Ha (Red channel) and the Oiii (sum of Green and Blue channels). I then combined the Ha and Oiii using PixInsight's PixelMath. I'm still very new at this, and, the results aren't great, but, I'm having fun.

NB Processed Image

DSLR Processed Image

Thanks for looking,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Elephant's Trunk Nebula - Pseudo NB Processing

Post by OzEclipse »

Interesting technique and nice capture Steve. The CEM40 seems to be working well for you!
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:20 am Interesting technique and nice capture Steve. The CEM40 seems to be working well for you!
Joe
Thanks Joe - The CEM40 is working great.

The "NB" processing is interesting to say the least. It definitely allows me to bring out some structures (like the Elephant's Trunk) that don't stand out using normal processing. However, right now I still don't have a handle on it. A work in progress so to speak.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I've been interested & glad to see your success with the CEM. I spent several frustrating years struggling with an iEQ45pro. Drive was reasonably accurate for that price point ~±15" but GOTO was terrible. I mean really terrible. At it's best, it could only point to within 10-20 degrees of target and at worst 90-180 or it would point below the horizon for something overhead. I checked all the settings, times, locations, connections etc and other people also had a look at it. We all agreed it was kokoloco - how's that for a technical term. Could never iron out the wrinkles. Unlike USA, iOptron support in Australia is pretty much non-existent.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Steve,
Interesting take on the data. Great detail in the image. I like both versions. The second one is what most of us are probably used to seeing fro this object. But after spending some time looking through the first version, one comes to appreciate it.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)