Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Flaming Star + Tadpoles + Spider and Fly Mosaic

Post by STEVE333 »

After seeing the recent WFOV image of the above targets by Jockinireland (David) I realized that two images I had before (Flaming Star and Spider & Fly) might have some overlap that would allow for a mosaic. They did! The Flaming Star image was a SHO image while the Spider & Fly was an HOO image. So, decided to try an HOO of the two combined in a mosaic using PixInsight.

The first image shows the accidental overlap of the two images. Sometimes Murphy takes a coffee break? The second image is an HOO processing of the mosaic. I used GradientMergeMosaic to blend the linear images together and it worked perfectly (at least I don't see any seams or artifacts). I actually made a mosaic of the two Ha images and then a mosaic of the two O3 images. I processed the Ha and O3 separately and then combined them after stretching and after removing stars. It was an interesting exercise and a lot of bookkeeping. However, the result made all the effort worthwhile.

By the way I used NoiseXTerminator to do the noise reduction in the linear phase for both the Ha and O3 data. It does a much better job than MureDenoise and I was very satisfied with the results. It has the nice feature that you can adjust the amount of noise reduction. I used a lot of noise reduction on the lower signal O3 data and significantly less on the stronger signal Ha data.

Overlap.jpg
Flaming_Star_Spider.jpg

The full resolution version can be viewed/downloaded at the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyyuq4kqlrspv ... r.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for looking.

Steve
Last edited by STEVE333 on Wed May 11, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
frant Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flaming Star + Tadpoles + Spider and Fly Mosaic

Post by frant »

Really nicely done Steve, the mosaic is very well constructed and the panel match is great.
Mosaics is one of those areas I've never managed to master, but you seem to have the knack :)
Richard
OTA: Altair Astro Wave Series 115mm APO, Altair 70EDT-F 70mm APO, Altair Astro 8" RC (CF). Mount: CEM60.Sensor: Atik 383L+ Mono CCD, Altair Hypercam 1600M ProTEC. Guiding: Lodestar x2 and SX OAG. Reducers/Flatteners: Planostar 3" 0.79x and 3" 1.0x, AP CCDT67 0.76x, Altair 0.85x, SW 0.85x. Filters: 2x Baader 36mm NB and LRGB, SX Filter Wheel, ZWO EFW. Software: SGP, Stellarium, PHD2, PixInsight. Roll off roof Obsy and a bad case of imaging addiction.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks Richard - This one worked without any real problems, but, I've had my moments with a few other mosaics!

Cheers
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

One word, stunning! :sprefac:
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Steve,

You nailed this one sir!

The details and coloration is spot on.
Noise? What noise?

In the FIaming Star, I really like the 3d depth effect the nebula has shrouding star AE Aurigae.

I really enjoyed the full res link.

Very nicely done Steve.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Outstanding Steve!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

That is a really nice result, Steve! The blending looks absolutely seamless. NoiseXterminator looks like a very useful tool as well. I see Russell has released a beta version for PhitoShopm I'm going to have to kick the tires on that one. I have read some really positive reviews of it.

What a lucky "accident" that you have the data available :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:55 am That is a really nice result, Steve! The blending looks absolutely seamless. NoiseXterminator looks like a very useful tool as well. I see Russell has released a beta version for PhitoShopm I'm going to have to kick the tires on that one. I have read some really positive reviews of it.

What a lucky "accident" that you have the data available :)

Bob
Thanks Bob - The mosaic tool worked perfectly on this one! Best mosaic I've ever made!
NoiseXTerminator is better than what I had been using before. I'm sold on it! Definitely going to purchase it.
I was delighted to see the overlap between the two images. Lucky indeed!!!

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:44 am Hi Steve,

You nailed this one sir!

The details and coloration is spot on.
Noise? What noise?

In the FIaming Star, I really like the 3d depth effect the nebula has shrouding star AE Aurigae.

I really enjoyed the full res link.

Very nicely done Steve.
Thanks Jim. Between NoiseXTerminator in the linear phase and a little TGVDenoise on the stretched phase (probably should have tried NoiseXTerminator again) the noise was very well controlled. I also used a RangeSelection mask on the O3 image when stretching the O3 nebulosity which definitely helped to control the background noise.

The way the Flaming Star colors and details turned out in NB along with the Tadpoles standing out and the Spider looking so menacing makes this one my favorite image! Glad you enjoyed.

Steve
MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Great work, Steve!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Very nice Steve.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Very cool Steve. Its really nice to get another image like this. 1 + 1 = 3
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks Jim. Couldn't agree more! This is now my favorite image. I just placed the order to get it on a 20" x 40" glossy metal print! Bay Photo is the comp[any and they do excellent work. Vibrant deep colors and great detail. Total cost with their 15% promo discount was just over $200. They are actually located less than 15 miles away from me. I'll go and pick it up at one of their stores (about 10 minutes away) so I won't have to pay for any shipping. I'll have it hanging on the wall by next week. Can't wait!!

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very exciting Steve!

I'll bet that you can't wait to get the print.

I haven't had much luck printing. I have tried online printers and even increasing the brightness and saturation, but they always look lackluster compared to the pc monitor. Do you modify the image at all before sending it to the printer?
What colorspace/profile do you normally use?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:47 pm Very exciting Steve!

I'll bet that you can't wait to get the print.

I haven't had much luck printing. I have tried online printers and even increasing the brightness and saturation, but they always look lackluster compared to the pc monitor. Do you modify the image at all before sending it to the printer?
What colorspace/profile do you normally use?

Hi Jim - I haven't changed any of the color management settings. The picture below shows what I'm currently using.

Color Management.jpg

No I don't modify the image at all before sending it to Bay for printing. They come back looking almost identical to what I see on the monitor. Possibly a bit darker.

Hope this helps.

Steve
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Outstanding image! I especially like the colour version.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

That's come out brilliantly Steve. I love the "cinematic widescreen" effect. Beautifully done.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thank you very much for all of that information Steve!

All of the online sites that I have tried have produced much darker images that what I see on the monitor, to varying degrees.

I might give Bay Photo a try just to see how some images turn out. Do you mind me asking just a couple more questions?

Sounds like you have some good experiences with them. Did you start out printing on metal? or did you do any basic glossy type photo prints? Did you let them color correct?

Thanks Steve!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 pm Thank you very much for all of that information Steve!

All of the online sites that I have tried have produced much darker images that what I see on the monitor, to varying degrees.

I might give Bay Photo a try just to see how some images turn out. Do you mind me asking just a couple more questions?

Sounds like you have some good experiences with them. Did you start out printing on metal? or did you do any basic glossy type photo prints? Did you let them color correct?

Thanks Steve!

I started with glossy photos. However, for larger prints (16" x 20" or larger) the advantage of the metal is that it is stiff so you don't need any glass or anything to keep it from curling. The metal prints come with a mount on the back so they can be hung directly on the wall. No frame needed.

I allow them to color correct, but, not sure they change anything.

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:54 pm

I started with glossy photos. However, for larger prints (16" x 20" or larger) the advantage of the metal is that it is stiff so you don't need any glass or anything to keep it from curling. The metal prints come with a mount on the back so they can be hung directly on the wall. No frame needed.

I allow them to color correct, but, not sure they change anything.

Steve

Very much appreciated Steve!

I surely will give them a try.

I’m sure that you will love your image!
Jim