NGC 1499 - California Nebula (Dragon Nebula)

Post your DSO images here.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

NGC 1499 - California Nebula (Dragon Nebula)

Post by chris_g »

Taken on 2021-11-28, 25 300 second subs, 10 dark, 20 flat, 20 dark flat, 20 bias under a Bortle 7 sky

Equipment used, EQ6-R Pro, EvoStar ED80 OTA, ZWO 120mm guide, Canon 50D (Full Spectrem), Optalong L-Pro 2"
Processed: DSS, Adobe CC

The California Nebula (NGC 1499/Sh2-220) is an emission nebula located in the constellation Perseus. It is so named because it appears to resemble the outline of the US State of California. It is almost 2.5° long on the sky and, because of its very low surface brightness, it is extremely difficult to observe visually. It lies at a distance of about 1,000 light years from Earth. Its fluorescence is due to excitation of the Hβ line in the nebula by the nearby prodigiously energetic O7 star, Xi Persei, also known as Menkib.

The California Nebula was discovered by E. E. Barnard in 1884.

All comments, good, bad and indifferent are welcome. And as always, thanks for looking

What you see is what you get,
Clear Skies!

Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: NGC 1499 - California Nebula (Dragon Nebula)

Post by messier 111 »

nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Very nice Chris. It's crazy how large this target is that even with your 80mm you cannot capture the entirety in a single frame. Well done on the processing.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Really nice Chris! You certainly caught a piece of California!

Nice work. If you get more imaging time, you might even be able to bring out even more nebulosity.

Just curious why the L-Pro and not the L-eNhance? Looks like the L-Pro did a decent job though.

Keep up the nice images!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice capture Chris. Your modified camera certainly picks up the hydrogen emission well.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:41 am Really nice Chris! You certainly caught a piece of California!

Nice work. If you get more imaging time, you might even be able to bring out even more nebulosity.

Just curious why the L-Pro and not the L-eNhance? Looks like the L-Pro did a decent job though.

Keep up the nice images!
I wanted to grab some data of the Monkey Nebula with the L-Pro because I wanted to see the differences between the two filters. California was visible before the Monkey was so I grabbed some data. It's currently a royal pain to swap filters at the scope with the Pro being a clip filter and the Enhance a 2" inch that threads into my camera rotator. I haven't processed the Monkey run yet. I learned a lot processing the California Nebula, masking just the nebula and enhancing the Ha then inverting the mask to make the stars look more natural by removing the Ha. That came from you when you mentioned saturation in the last image. I also played with the Star Spike Pro plugin, and it actually does a somewhat decent job of colorizing the stars, I'm working with that now. Also working with the full spectrum camera, I'm glad now that I didn't modify my 600D. It will be my go-to camera when I'm wanting to image anything that is not Ha.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

AstroBee wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 pm Very nice Chris. It's crazy how large this target is that even with your 80mm you cannot capture the entirety in a single frame. Well done on the processing.
Thank you, I'm learning. This one taught me a lot!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 am Nice capture Chris. Your modified camera certainly picks up the hydrogen emission well.

Steve
It does an awesome job. You can even see the feint outline in the single images through all the red saturation

NGC 1499_L_0002_2021-11-28_21-42-56_ISO800_300s__65F.jpg
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:00 am
Juno16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:41 am Really nice Chris! You certainly caught a piece of California!

Keep up the nice images!
I wanted to grab some data of the Monkey Nebula with the L-Pro because I wanted to see the differences between the two filters. California was visible before the Monkey was so I grabbed some data. It's currently a royal pain to swap filters at the scope with the Pro being a clip filter and the Enhance a 2" inch that threads into my camera rotator. I haven't processed the Monkey run yet. I learned a lot processing the California Nebula, masking just the nebula and enhancing the Ha then inverting the mask to make the stars look more natural by removing the Ha. That came from you when you mentioned saturation in the last image. I also played with the Star Spike Pro plugin, and it actually does a somewhat decent job of colorizing the stars, I'm working with that now. Also working with the full spectrum camera, I'm glad now that I didn't modify my 600D. It will be my go-to camera when I'm wanting to image anything that is not Ha.

I understand! For some reason, I thought that you had a filter drawer. I don't even like opening up my drawer in the dark and handling a $200+ filter (in a drawer). If you ever go that route, it really isn't too bad swapping out while imaging. I did it a little while ago.
I just started trying out a uv/ir cut filter instead of my usual IDAS LPS D-1 (light pollution) filter on M45. I have always used at least an lp filter in my Bortle 7 skies. Quite surprised how well the uv/ir cut seems to be working. Swapped to the L-eNhance for a few hours on the Rosette.

Thanks for the reply and very glad to hear that things are going very well on the processing end. To me anyway, the processing can be more challenging than aquisition!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Beautiful capture Chris, thx for posting.
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 am [
I understand! For some reason, I thought that you had a filter drawer. I don't even like opening up my drawer in the dark and handling a $200+ filter (in a drawer). If you ever go that route, it really isn't too bad swapping out while imaging. I did it a little while ago.
I just started trying out a uv/ir cut filter instead of my usual IDAS LPS D-1 (light pollution) filter on M45. I have always used at least an lp filter in my Bortle 7 skies. Quite surprised how well the uv/ir cut seems to be working. Swapped to the L-eNhance for a few hours on the Rosette.

Thanks for the reply and very glad to hear that things are going very well on the processing end. To me anyway, the processing can be more challenging than aquisition!
My next addition is going to be a 2" filter wheel once I sell my 1.25" version that I bought when I didn't know any better. It's never been out of the box. Then I'll replace my clip filter with its 2" version. Beyond a doubt processing is more challenging. However, I wish that were the case last night. I couldn't get anything to plate solve reliably last night except for ASPS in blind mode in its standalone app. Focus kept fluctuating and the skies were clear. I'm thinking I had power cables to close to the focuser cable and that was introducing random shifts in the focus. Focus kept jumping around like it had a mind of its own. Broke everything down and reworked my cable bundle, I'm hoping that solves the problem
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Awesome! Well done, Chris!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sometimes sessions just seem to be plagued with issues and other times not. Thankfully, most sessions go well!

Let me know if your re-cabling makes a difference. I bundle all of the cables together in a cable sleeve and not had any issues.
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:31 pm Sometimes sessions just seem to be plagued with issues and other times not. Thankfully, most sessions go well!

Let me know if your re-cabling makes a difference. I bundle all of the cables together in a cable sleeve and not had any issues.
I managed to get ASTAP to plate solve but it was still hit and miss and I was chasing Polar Alignment with TPPA, the only time it ever does that is if my location is incorrect in the mount. I double and tripled checked that and it was good. Bhatinov focusing was still goofy. So now what? I focused my guide scope and guiding was working spot on, tracked five-minute subs for 20 images no issues but Stellarium was acting goofy. It would show the scope position slowly drifting off then jump almost an entire degree, checked location in Syn Scan and it was good and no complaints from PHD2. I'd plate solve and sync the mount and Stellarium would show the scope where it actually was but only for a few moments before it started drifting again. At the end of the night, I decided to check star alignment in the mount and Venus was there. Venus was not visible from my current location. I had synced on her from my previous location, it's about a degree further north, which is about what Stellarium was showing when it jumped. How Venus survived in the mount's memory through two power cycles I have no idea since I don't normally park the mount at the end of each session as I break down every night. If I do when I start the mount up the next session, I tell it to ignore the park information.

Any ways, lessons learned. While the data capture was a bust due to moisture, wispy clouds and a target that was really too small for my scope to resolve it was a good session. I also solved wireless connection issues to the mount and the office, so now I can work from inside these cold winter months.

Clear Skies!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:19 pm

I managed to get ASTAP to plate solve but it was still hit and miss and I was chasing Polar Alignment with TPPA, the only time it ever does that is if my location is incorrect in the mount. I double and tripled checked that and it was good. Bhatinov focusing was still goofy. So now what? I focused my guide scope and guiding was working spot on, tracked five-minute subs for 20 images no issues but Stellarium was acting goofy. It would show the scope position slowly drifting off then jump almost an entire degree, checked location in Syn Scan and it was good and no complaints from PHD2. I'd plate solve and sync the mount and Stellarium would show the scope where it actually was but only for a few moments before it started drifting again. At the end of the night, I decided to check star alignment in the mount and Venus was there. Venus was not visible from my current location. I had synced on her from my previous location, it's about a degree further north, which is about what Stellarium was showing when it jumped. How Venus survived in the mount's memory through two power cycles I have no idea since I don't normally park the mount at the end of each session as I break down every night. If I do when I start the mount up the next session, I tell it to ignore the park information.

Any ways, lessons learned. While the data capture was a bust due to moisture, wispy clouds and a target that was really too small for my scope to resolve it was a good session. I also solved wireless connection issues to the mount and the office, so now I can work from inside these cold winter months.

Clear Skies!

Thanks for the clear skies wishes, but clouds started moving in yesterday and rain is predicted for next week. Oh well, I was fortunate to get out a few nights this week. Very fortunate!

Heck yeah! Get inside! I love doing visual occasionally and love it outside. For imaging, I just set up, watch the flip, and break down outside. The rest of the time, I’m eating snacks, watching tv, or napping. Still use a laptop for acquisition, but use Team Viewer to run the session from indoors on the desktop. Life is grand!

Are you running a usb cable from the mount hc or using a direct connection and bypassing the hc? The only reason that I ask is because I just went hc less and really like it.

Take care Chris and have fun!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:11 pm
Thanks for the clear skies wishes, but clouds started moving in yesterday and rain is predicted for next week. Oh well, I was fortunate to get out a few nights this week. Very fortunate!

Heck yeah! Get inside! I love doing visual occasionally and love it outside. For imaging, I just set up, watch the flip, and break down outside. The rest of the time, I’m eating snacks, watching tv, or napping. Still use a laptop for acquisition, but use Team Viewer to run the session from indoors on the desktop. Life is grand!

Are you running a usb cable from the mount hc or using a direct connection and bypassing the hc? The only reason that I ask is because I just went hc less and really like it.

Take care Chris and have fun!
Clouds and rain blew in early this morning for me too, at least for the next 10 days.

I stopped using the hc almost from the beginning once I figured how to get the app to work on the PC. It's been in the box now for the last six months. I want one more item for the mount and that's the Wi-Fi module so I can use the virtual hc from my phone when I want to do visual. Being cabled is such a pain and I do love my tech!

Maybe if I wish for it, it will happen!

Clear Skies!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

chris_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 pm
Clouds and rain blew in early this morning for me too, at least for the next 10 days.

I stopped using the hc almost from the beginning once I figured how to get the app to work on the PC. It's been in the box now for the last six months. I want one more item for the mount and that's the Wi-Fi module so I can use the virtual hc from my phone when I want to do visual. Being cabled is such a pain and I do love my tech!

Clear Skies!

Which app is that Chris? I tried EQMOD, but I like GSS better.

While imaging, I also run TeamViewer on my phone, but I have to be careful. I accidentally moved the focuser position the other night when I was laying on the couch and had to stop the sequence and run autofocus!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:35 pm
chris_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Clear Skies!

Which app is that Chris? I tried EQMOD, but I like GSS better.

While imaging, I also run TeamViewer on my phone, but I have to be careful. I accidentally moved the focuser position the other night when I was laying on the couch and had to stop the sequence and run autofocus!
I use SynScan and Remote Desktop. I've got the remote desktop app on my phone but my display is entirely way to small, I can't imagine trying to do anything using it. I tried EQMOD at first but had issues with it. I'm sure it was me thinking back on it now.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice capture Chris👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D