DSLR of the Soul Nebula

Post your DSO images here.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

DSLR of the Soul Nebula

Post by Gmetric »

I'm almost ashamed to post this given the quality of images posted here recently, but here goes. 3hrs 55 mins of data at ISO200 with the Nikon D5300 through my SW72ED and UHC filter (don't ask :(). Processed in PS2021 and stacked with DSS. Faced with the usual excuses LP, LED lights and so on. I've processed and reprocessed this like five times, and I'm almost happy with this one, lol.
First process i'm almost happy with copy BPA HPF.jpg
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR of the Soul Nebula

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done! Why didn't you use higher ISO? When I used Canon1100D, I used mostly ISO800 ( a good compromise between the level of signal, DR and noise).
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Gmetric - I have settled on ISO 200 for my D5300 as well. It is a great setting for shooting from my Bortle 6-7 skies. I do 2 minute subs and no filter. I find that LP is easier to process out than the color cast filters introduce. If you want, give it a try and see if you like it. You have a good start on the Soul, and you never know, there may be more hiding in there to be teased out.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice capture "G". I agree with "bob" that there is more in there if you want to keep digging.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice image G!

I like your entertaining write-up! I also agree with Bob and Steve that there is more details that might be coaxed out from it.
I won’t ask about the filter. I know that you have a duo or tri- band filter that would almost certainly help bring out more nebulously and details.
Nice work sir!
Last edited by Juno16 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nice pic! Give hope to those of us who might be considering jumping in with a DSLR.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:46 pm Very nice image G!

I like your entertaining write-up! I also agree with Bob and Steve that there is more details that might be coaxed out from it.
I won’t ask about the filter. I know that you have a duo or tri- band filter that would almost certainly help bring out more nebulously and details.
Nice work sir!
Thanks, Jim :) I'm glad you appreciate the humour ;) ...No, no, nooooooo duo or tri-band at the moment. It went back, and as it stands, I'll have to go somewhere else to buy one. But, honestly, don't ask. It has been a nightmare. Sometimes some (certainly not all) Japanese can be very difficult to deal with when returning items and getting refunds. I can communicate in Japanese, but I'm not Japanese; that's a problem for some.
Last edited by Gmetric on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

MariusD69 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm Looks great! Well done! Why didn't you use higher ISO? When I used Canon1100D, I used mostly ISO800 ( a good compromise between the level of signal, DR and noise).
I have thought about it, but according to this http://dslr-astrophotography.com/iso-va ... n-cameras/ the D5300 has the best dynamic range at around ISO 200 and ISO 400. However, ISO200 is optimal, so I settled on ISO200, and my calibration data is at ISO200.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

bobharmony wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:49 pm Gmetric - I have settled on ISO 200 for my D5300 as well. It is a great setting for shooting from my Bortle 6-7 skies. I do 2 minute subs and no filter. I find that LP is easier to process out than the color cast filters introduce. If you want, give it a try and see if you like it. You have a good start on the Soul, and you never know, there may be more hiding in there to be teased out.

Bob
My camera is full spec modified, so it'll need some kind of filter; otherwise, the stars get quite bloated, more so when stretched. But, in the name of science, I'll give it a try and see how it goes as for teasing more out. Of course, I could stretch the hell out of the image, but I chose not to; besides, pushing it too much won't yield any more detail, but it will add more processing steps to reduce noise and such. But I might dig a little deeper and see how it goes :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:04 am Nice capture "G". I agree with "bob" that there is more in there if you want to keep digging.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Having to deal with gradients and a massive amount of blue due to the LED light nearby meant using artificial flats to try and balance the image. I also tried not to stretch it too far; otherwise, the noise takes over the signal, thus requiring noise bashing. I want to move away from hitting my images too hard with noise suppression processing, especially as it's cooler now. However, as both you and Bob agree, then, of course, I'll dig a little deeper and see what happens :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:02 pm very nice take , thx .
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 pm Nice pic! Give hope to those of us who might be considering jumping in with a DSLR.
A lot of people get very nice images with DSLR's. If you're going to jump into the eternal pit that is the AP rabbit hole, DSLR's are a good place to start. My advice is to buy used, get two for the price of one of the same brand and type, one modded and one not. LP filters have a slightly negative impact on galaxies and reflection nebula images, so I feel unmodded cameras are better for such. Of course, full spec modded cameras are better for emission nebula but require filters to prevent star bloating. If the cameras are the same, the image scales are the same, making it easier to combine the data. You can use fewer filters that cost as much as a camera in some cases and a lot more in others. Changing cameras of the same type and spec is no more trouble than changing a filter, and when fingers are cold a lot easier, IMHO. Then practice, practice, and practice while saving up for a proper dedicated Astro-camera and all the gear to go with it YMMV. I haven't done that, but that's what I'd do if I were to start again :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Gmetric wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:18 pm

My camera is full spec modified, so it'll need some kind of filter; otherwise, the stars get quite bloated, more so when stretched. But, in the name of science, I'll give it a try and see how it goes as for teasing more out. Of course, I could stretch the hell out of the image, but I chose not to; besides, pushing it too much won't yield any more detail, but it will add more processing steps to reduce noise and such. But I might dig a little deeper and see how it goes :)
Thanks for the clarification. My modded d5300 had an IR cut filter installed as part of the mod, so I don't need any additional filters to control bloat. Last month I got about 90 minutes on the Heart (part of a failed mosaic) and got a lot out of it without having to push hard at all. I didn't post anything as the other half of the mosaic was a total mess from the dew that covered everything by the end of the night. In all a very much "don't ask" experience.

For me the other down side of filters is the amount of time they add to gather light, with the weather here imaging time is at a premium and I want to use all available on collecting photons, not blocking them with a filter. What works best for you is fine, just sharing my thoughts.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:45 pmThanks for the clarification. My modded d5300 had an IR cut filter installed as part of the mod, so I don't need any additional filters to control bloat. Last month I got about 90 minutes on the Heart (part of a failed mosaic) and got a lot out of it without having to push hard at all. I didn't post anything as the other half of the mosaic was a total mess from the dew that covered everything by the end of the night. In all a very much "don't ask" experience.

For me the other down side of filters is the amount of time they add to gather light, with the weather here imaging time is at a premium, and I want to use all available on collecting photons, not blocking them with a filter. So what works best for you is fine, just sharing my thoughts.

Bob
Good idea having the IR cut filter installed. I did the mod myself, so my camera is just a bare-bones filter, lol. I have a UV IR cut filter for reflection nebula, which cuts most of the IR. So it’s not suitable for emission nebula. I’m going to try your recommendation hopefully on Thursday night, as long as the weather holds. I appreciate your thoughts, comments and tips, so thank you :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Did a little poking around with this image and tried to pull a little more out. I also managed to add 40mins of HA as luminance. Don't know if I'm happy with it or not. What do you all think?
First process i'm almost happy with copy BPA HPF HAL copy SMALL.jpg
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Doing a side by side comparison, this is a nice step up from the original from a few days ago. The color looks more natural to me, and the details of the nebulosity are much clearer to my eye. Nicely done!

Bob

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Gmetric wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:48 pm Did a little poking around with this image and tried to pull a little more out. I also managed to add 40mins of HA as luminance. Don't know if I'm happy with it or not. What do you all think?

GREAT improvement !!!!

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:18 pm Doing a side by side comparison, this is a nice step up from the original from a few days ago. The color looks more natural to me, and the details of the nebulosity are much clearer to my eye. Nicely done!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Luminance certainly helps with details :)
BABOafrica wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:12 pm GREAT improvement !!!!
BABO
Thanks, Babo :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)