Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My First Post...An introduction and a few of my images

Post by Makuser »

Hi Peter. It's great to have you join us here on TSS. And that was a very nice introduction from you too. You have a wonderful gallery of images and all have wonderful colors and nebulosity details, and the lunar capture was just fantastic. Thanks for sharing these with us Peter and I hope to see more of your work on here again soon. Welcome to the forum Peter and the best of wishes on your superb astronomy adventures.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey Peter, great images and welcome to TSS! Your good friend pointed you in the right direction; thanks for all that and welcome aboard :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Welcome to TSS! Very impressive images. Great work, Peter!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

petershah wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 pm I've just heard about The Sky Searches from a good friend of mine. I thought I would introduce myself, my name is Peter I am very passionate about astronomy and astrophotography. I have quite a bit of equipment ...
Stunning pictures, very pretty. We have a local aficiado and former club president who sets up at art fairs and sells prints.

I do have to admit to deep ignorance about what you are doing. I trust that other astrophotography people, the boffins, mavins, and wranglers all understand what you said, but even with googling the key terms, I am in the dark. I know that it is a bit of work for you, but if you read any peer reviewed publication you will see that all special terms are defined the first time that they are used. I liked your Moon, but what is

"HDR of the Moon imaged with The Tak Epsilon 180ed asi2600MC osc"

high definition resolution?... Takahashi [I got that, of course] the Epsilon 180 ed would be an 180-mm Extremely Low Dispersion glass refractor, an apochromatic [ok] and then it goes down the event horizon... because an OSC is a ZWO or something and I know ZWO as a brand of camera but what is an OSC? Surely not an oscillator? Optical Scanning Collimator? Optical Survey Camera?

I am just asking because as attractive as the images are, it is hard to know what is real and what is art. Like your M31 with its enhanced reds: are those in fact red stars or are they main sequence stars with their red wavelengths enhanced for effect? Why not keep the red giants and turn everything else into a ghost image so that the targets are mapped? Would that be informative?

Sorry to have to ask but my interests are in theory and history and the history of theory, how we came to believe what we know today. The camera is a subtle recording device and you seem to have solid facility with yours.

Thanks for sharing your work.
Mike M.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
petershah Wales
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by petershah »

mikemarotta wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:38 pm
petershah wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 pm I've just heard about The Sky Searches from a good friend of mine. I thought I would introduce myself, my name is Peter I am very passionate about astronomy and astrophotography. I have quite a bit of equipment ...
Stunning pictures, very pretty. We have a local aficiado and former club president who sets up at art fairs and sells prints.

I do have to admit to deep ignorance about what you are doing. I trust that other astrophotography people, the boffins, mavins, and wranglers all understand what you said, but even with googling the key terms, I am in the dark. I know that it is a bit of work for you, but if you read any peer reviewed publication you will see that all special terms are defined the first time that they are used. I liked your Moon, but what is

"HDR of the Moon imaged with The Tak Epsilon 180ed asi2600MC osc"

high definition resolution?... Takahashi [I got that, of course] the Epsilon 180 ed would be an 180-mm Extremely Low Dispersion glass refractor, an apochromatic [ok] and then it goes down the event horizon... because an OSC is a ZWO or something and I know ZWO as a brand of camera but what is an OSC? Surely not an oscillator? Optical Scanning Collimator? Optical Survey Camera?

I am just asking because as attractive as the images are, it is hard to know what is real and what is art. Like your M31 with its enhanced reds: are those in fact red stars or are they main sequence stars with their red wavelengths enhanced for effect? Why not keep the red giants and turn everything else into a ghost image so that the targets are mapped? Would that be informative?

Sorry to have to ask but my interests are in theory and history and the history of theory, how we came to believe what we know today. The camera is a subtle recording device and you seem to have solid facility with yours.

Thanks for sharing your work.
Mike M.
Wow Mike where do I start with this... Firstly Thank you for taking the time to comment.

To be honest with you because I was posting so many images in one go I didn't want to fill the whole introduction with too much detail in fear of sending everyone to sleep.....These are all just pretty pictures that have been processed using my own workflow and techniques. The same as everyone else's images. They will always be open to interpretation as location sky conditions, equipment limitations all play a part. Even then if the same set of data was given to someone else to process you would still see a significant difference in the end result. That said everything is real and nothing artificial was added to the data.

All of these terms used are very common and for those who do not image it really doesn't matter if you understand them or not. The terms OSC just stands for One Shot Colour...referring to the Bayer matrix of the Sensor...in other words not imaged with a mono camera. HDR simply stands for High Dynamic Range and is on virtually every mobile phone as a capture setting. It just brings in different brightness's into a range where the computer monitor is able to see them easily.

As for M31 the red is again real and although imaged in H-alpha actually belong to something called ERE or Extended Red Emission which includes a broader bandwidth than the what it was actually imaged in....I am not clever enough to tell you about it so that you will have to look up.

No need to apologise Mike I should be apologising to you as my interests are all about the art and apparently somewhat more selfish so never consider those with deeper interests.

Thank you again for your comments
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Hi Peter,
Great to see you on here, they are going to love your images and input.
Was it through me you heard about this forum?

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
petershah Wales
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by petershah »

carastro wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 pm Hi Peter,
Great to see you on here, they are going to love your images and input.
Was it through me you heard about this forum?

Carole
Hey Carole Great to see you here...wasn't you, but shame on you for not telling me about The Sky Searchers :naughty: really looks like a great place to be......BTW Was David Phillipson @Galileo who mentioned it to me yesterday ;)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks for joining TSS, nice introduction and beautiful images, Peter! Looking forward your expert contributions to this forum.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
petershah Wales
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by petershah »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 pm Thanks for joining TSS, nice introduction and beautiful images, Peter! Looking forward your expert contributions to this forum.
Thank you, looks like a very active community looking forward to contributing.
MartinF Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MartinF »

Welcome! Those are some really impressive images! My only critique is that it is unfair that I don´t have the same equipment... or an observatory!
:lol: :text-welcomewave: :observatory:
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/FotografMartinF
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Great images Peter! Nice to see you here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)