The Pacman Nebula

Post your DSO images here.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The Pacman Nebula

Post by Gmetric »

This image is a widefield shot of the Pacman Nebula taken through the ED72 reduced and flattened with a WO 0.8 reducer/flattened in a bottle 7 area with a 60% moon. It's a stack of 33 x 150 secs at ISO400 with calibration frames. Of course, the camera was running at a cool 32 deg C, lol. TBH, I don't think my setup has done this object justice. So, I've included a super cropped version which required some bashing to beat the noise into submission. Nevertheless, warts and all, I hope you can enjoy these images for what they are. C&C is always welcome :)
Pacman Nebula final edit copy saturation edit copy.jpg
Pacman Nebula final edit crop copy.jpg
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Pacman Nebula

Post by messier 111 »

nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm nice take , thx .
Thanks 🙏
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Pretty nice image considering everything was working against you! The nebula is clearly visible. Hope you get some more time on this with better conditions.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:24 pm Pretty nice image considering everything was working against you! The nebula is clearly visible. Hope you get some more time on this with better conditions.

Steve
Thanks Steve, indeed, the nebula is visible but lacking in any real detail. Guiding was super tight as one can see by the pinpoint stars but whether it’s the conditions, limitations of the scope (resolving power) or my processing skill that has produced an image lacking in detail I’m not sure. I suspect the latter but could be all three lol. Well, they are my excuses 😝.
MariusD69 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm Looks great! Well done!
Thank you, Marius 🙏
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Gmetric wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 am
Thanks Steve, indeed, the nebula is visible but lacking in any real detail. Guiding was super tight as one can see by the pinpoint stars but whether it’s the conditions, limitations of the scope (resolving power) or my processing skill that has produced an image lacking in detail I’m not sure. I suspect the latter but could be all three lol. Well, they are my excuses 😝.

I would suspect that noise was what prevented you from stretching the image to bring out more details.

Bortle 7 + 60% moon + DSLR at 32C = LOTS OF NOISE!!!! Plus you didn't have any filters to help with the LP.

More time on target will help as would a filter like the L-eNhance to block LP while passing Ha and O3. I used a dual band filter similar to the L-eNhance with a Canon DSLR and it definitely improved my nebula images. Just a thought.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:50 am
Gmetric wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 am

I would suspect that noise was what prevented you from stretching the image to bring out more details.

Bortle 7 + 60% moon + DSLR at 32C = LOTS OF NOISE!!!! Plus you didn't have any filters to help with the LP.

More time on target will help as would a filter like the L-eNhance to block LP while passing Ha and O3. I used a dual band filter similar to the L-eNhance with a Canon DSLR and it definitely improved my nebula images. Just a thought.

Steve
I agree, Steve. I’ve been looking at the L-eNhance and L-eXtreme filters, along with the Sightron quadBP filter, too. It’s a bit of a toss up between the quadBP and L-eNhance, I’m not sure which will be best for me, as of yet. I will get one of them soon and maybe the L-eXtreme later.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice image!

Pleasing soft approach to processing! Noise might have been the reason to "tone" things down, but even at that, your rendition is very nice considering the conditions.

I haven't tried the L-eXtreme, but I own and shoot with the L-eNhance and it is truly a game changer. I can obtain decent data on targets under a 90-95% moon (as long as there is some separation). Even moonless nights under a Bortle 7-8 sky is not an issue. Truly amazing and I wish that I could shoot all targets with it!

Fine work and thanks for sharing!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am Very nice image!

Pleasing soft approach to processing! Noise might have been the reason to "tone" things down, but even at that, your rendition is very nice considering the conditions.

I haven't tried the L-eXtreme, but I own and shoot with the L-eNhance and it is truly a game changer. I can obtain decent data on targets under a 90-95% moon (as long as there is some separation). Even moonless nights under a Bortle 7-8 sky is not an issue. Truly amazing and I wish that I could shoot all targets with it!

Fine work and thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Jim :) ...I've been edging towards the L-eNhance as there are more reviews of which most are very positive. Your input has just sealed the deal. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then I'll grab one.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Gmetric wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm
Thank you, Jim :) ...I've been edging towards the L-eNhance as there are more reviews of which most are very positive. Your input has just sealed the deal. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then I'll grab one.
[/quote]

You won’t be disappointed G!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/