Cygnus Loop revisited

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Cygnus Loop revisited

Post by bobharmony »

After staring at my first mosaic (the Cygnus Loop) I realized that I wasn't happy with the seams of the 4 photos and that it needed some work. After further study, I noted that my flats did not completely correct the vignetting, so went for a second process to correct the issue. StarTools isn't all that friendly for mosaics as all of the linear processing needs to be completed before stitching, so I took "snapshots" along the way of each panel and put those snapshots together in MS ICE to ensure I wasn't getting too far off with my data.

I like this one better than the original, it still could do with some improvement as I learn more about putting mosaics together. In any case here is my 4 panel (50 minutes per panel) shot with 120 second subs using the Nikon D5300 at ISO 200, calibrated with darks (17) flats (51) and dark flats (51).
Veil 50 minutes_stitch.jpg
Comments and criticisms welcome! In a perfect world this would be a 6 panel mosaic, maybe next year if I get better summer weather!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Cygnus Loop revisited

Post by messier 111 »

nice shot , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Bob - You're making nice progress on this mosaic. Mosaics are always a lot of work.

You asked for comments, so, I downloaded your image and looked at it in PixInisght (the only program I know). The first thing I did was to look at the relative signal levels of the RGB channels. The picture below shows the result.

Veil Histograms.JPG

The graph is a histogram of the brightness in the image. The Vertical axis represents the number of pixels. The Horizontal axis represents brightness in the image with black being on the left end and white on the right end. The left edges of the R, G and B "hills" should line up to ensure that the background will be black/gray. So, I lined up the left edges with the following result.

Veil_50_minutes_stitch_offsets.jpg
The background now looks gray/black but there is still a bit of a purplish gradient on the right side of the image. After removing that gradient the following image resulted.

Veil_50_minutes_stitch_Touchup.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to do this with Star Tools but hope this helps. Best of success.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:14 pm Hi Bob - You're making nice progress on this mosaic. Mosaics are always a lot of work.

You asked for comments, so, I downloaded your image and looked at it in PixInisght (the only program I know). The first thing I did was to look at the relative signal levels of the RGB channels. The picture below shows the result.

The graph is a histogram of the brightness in the image. The Vertical axis represents the number of pixels. The Horizontal axis represents brightness in the image with black being on the left end and white on the right end. The left edges of the R, G and B "hills" should line up to ensure that the background will be black/gray. So, I lined up the left edges with the following result.

The background now looks gray/black but there is still a bit of a purplish gradient on the right side of the image. After removing that gradient the following image resulted.

Sorry I don't know how to do this with Star Tools but hope this helps. Best of success.

Steve
Thanks for going through the effort, Steve, and for your constructive comments. That is a nice way to get the background under control. The Color module in StarTools shows the histogram and adjusts it as changes are made to the settings. The R,G and B channels can be boosted/reduced independently in the module as well and that could be used to do something similar. I opened up the three images (my original and your two adjusted images) in new tabs in Firefox so I can blink between them to get the full effect of the changes you made. You have done a great job of neutralizing the background!

To me the issue with doing a Mosaic using StarTools is that each panel needs to be processed to its final state before stitching the panels together in MS ICE, so any slight difference in processing is going to show up in the final image. Maybe if I used the FilmDev module to stretch the images instead of AutoDev with a region of interest selected, the result would be more uniform.

I have received a suggestion to download the trial of AstroPixelProcessor and try to stitch the panels together in a linear state, and then load the result into StarTools so the entire mosaic can receive an even process. I suspect the "gradient" you cleaned up wasn't present in the original data, but that I introduced it while processing the panels with the Witches Broom in them.

In any case you have given me a lot to think about and I appreciate your efforts!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:58 pm
Thanks for going through the effort, Steve, and for your constructive comments. That is a nice way to get the background under control. The Color module in StarTools shows the histogram and adjusts it as changes are made to the settings. The R,G and B channels can be boosted/reduced independently in the module as well and that could be used to do something similar. I opened up the three images (my original and your two adjusted images) in new tabs in Firefox so I can blink between them to get the full effect of the changes you made. You have done a great job of neutralizing the background!

To me the issue with doing a Mosaic using StarTools is that each panel needs to be processed to its final state before stitching the panels together in MS ICE, so any slight difference in processing is going to show up in the final image. Maybe if I used the FilmDev module to stretch the images instead of AutoDev with a region of interest selected, the result would be more uniform.

I have received a suggestion to download the trial of AstroPixelProcessor and try to stitch the panels together in a linear state, and then load the result into StarTools so the entire mosaic can receive an even process. I suspect the "gradient" you cleaned up wasn't present in the original data, but that I introduced it while processing the panels with the Witches Broom in them.

In any case you have given me a lot to think about and I appreciate your efforts!

Bob

Bob - Glad my suggestions made some sense. I still struggle at times with a single image much less a mosaic. I applaud your courage in tackling the mosaic project. Here's wishing you a successful conclusion!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I had another run at this using a method laid out by Stefan B. in the StarTools forum in his 3 panel mosaic of M31. My goal was to tame the background as we have discussed a bit. The processing flow for me looks like this:

Stack the individual panels using DSS with Ivo's recommended DSS settings.
Load each panel into StarTools selecting the "Linear" option, bin 50%, crop artifacts, and run the Wipe module to get the background under control.
Save the resulting file as a .tif.
Load the 4 panels into MS-ICE and stitch them together.
Load the stitched result into StarTools using the "OSC" option and process normally. In this case I ran Autodev, Wipe, AutoDev with ROI, HDR, Deconvolution, Color, Shrink, and final noise reduction.

This is a rough cut to validate the process. I will go back and do a fine tuned version to see just how good it might get.
Veil P1-4 50 minutes wiped_stitch ST.jpg
I like the way this is turning out. I think some tweaking of phases of the process can get a cleaner finish, we shall see.

Bob

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I like it Bob!

The background is really improved!

I think that you are on the right path and are making big improvements in the data!

Looking good!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

After thinking about the process I realized that I had applied the Wipe module to the image twice, once when preparing each panel for stitching and again to the completed mosaic. My recollection is that this is not a recommended flow.

With that in mind I took another stab at process the stitched result, this time starting at the "AutoDev with ROI" step and moved forward from there. I like this result the best of what I have done so far. There are a couple of odd background spots showing up, but I am going to take a break for a while and leave it alone.
Veil P1-4 50 minutes wiped_stitch rotated ST one Wipe.jpg
Comments and questions welcome.

Bob

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Bob. I really like your latest revision of the Cygnus Loop mosaic. Excellent contrast, vibrant nebulosity colors and no signs of stitching. Thanks for sharing this with us on here Bob and I hope to see more of your great work soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>