chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Seven Sisters - My First Real Exercise in Adobe

Post by chris_g »

Taken over two nights, the 8th and 9th

Equipment used EvoStar 80ED with .85 reducer/flattener and Canon 600D using Optalong L-Pro C clip filter with APT and PHD 2 guiding

67 120 second subs, 20 dark, 10 dark flat, 10 flat, 10 bias

Stacked in DSS and processed using Adobe with Astronomy Tools Pro Action Set and StarSpikes Plugin, adjusted contrast and brightness in Adobe, used Astronomy Tools to add color to the stars and StarSpikes Pro to...well you can see that :)

I highlighted the two stars on the left as I thought they might be proud parents looking on at their children, some of my more artistic side starting to show. I started with a simple star pattern as I thought it would be easier to process than a DSO such as Andromeda . I learned quickly that I needed some serious assistance as the learning curve just became astronomical, no pun intended! :ugeek: So I went looking and found Star Tools Pro action set and Star Spikes plugin.

As always, thanks for looking!

What you see is what you get,
Clear Skies

Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Seven Sisters - My First Real Exercise in Adobe

Post by John Donne »

Fun, Fun, Fun !
👍👍👍
The Star Spike plugin is very powerful.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Cool looking stars Chris!

Actually, they are quite the opposite of cool!

These hot blues have a ton of surrounding blue reflection nebulae that your 2+ hours with the Canon should have captured.

If you feel inclined, try a few more stretches in Curves to see if you might be able to bring it out. Look at Google Images to see what I am talking about.

When I dabbled in Photoshop, I really liked using arcsine stretches in Curves. They are not part of the PS package, they were plugins that I installed. If you are interested, the link in this post on CN should lead you to them.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5956 ... h-stretch/

Keep up the nice work Chris!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:50 am Cool looking stars Chris!

These hot blues have a ton of surrounding blue reflection nebulae that your 2+ hours with the Canon should have captured.

If you feel inclined, try a few more stretches in Curves to see if you might be able to bring it out. Look at Google Images to see what I am talking about.

When I dabbled in Photoshop, I really liked using arcsine stretches in Curves. They are not part of the PS package, they were plugins that I installed. If you are interested, the link in this post on CN should lead you to them.

I love blue, my favorite color! The surrounding blue reflection nebula data is really faint, I couldn't seem to pull anything out using curves in PS so I went back into DSS and adjusted the RGB/K levels and luminance there with a method I learned from @SkyHiker. That tells me the data is there, I am just going to have to learn some more about using curves in PS. I also loaded the the arcsine curves stretch from the Cloudy Nights post.

A very good exercise for me, thanks!

:text-thankyoublue:
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:50 am Cool looking stars Chris!

I stretched it in DSS, then I used a multiply curve and then a brightness/contrast in PS. If I messed with it much more, I get a lot of noise. I'm thinking an image run with a longer exposure time and perhaps an HDR process to truly capture the nebula surrounding the sisters. I need to research the HDR process, definitely a good exercise for me
Seven Sisters - Stretch.jpg
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You did manage pull a bit of it out. Looks like your focus might be a bit soft too.

Maybe if you can put upload your tiff file , someone might be able to do a quick process to see what is there. I would love to take a look, but my wife and I are doing our first full day taking care of our 3 month old grandchild tomorrow.

Irregardless, you are progressing quite nicely and you should feel really good about that!
AP is challenging and you ought to be quite proud of what you have accomplished so far!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Chris - I also used Photoshop when starting out in AP. I found the 6-part series of YouTube tutorials (for Photoshop) by Doug German to be very helpful. Maybe you will too. Each tutorial is only about 10 min long and usually covers just one step in the processing, so, they are easy to follow. They are designed for people beginning in astrophotography image processing using Photoshop.

If you are interested the link below is to the first of the six tutorials. If you like it you can search and find the others on YouTube. They are all free!

Good luck,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures