Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cave Nebula - SHO

Post by STEVE333 »

jthommes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:53 am Quite an improvement Steve. Well done on the reprocess.

Thanks Jim - I'm really pleased with the improvement in the stars. I think I now have a technique to keep that improvement in future images!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bernhardhubl Austria
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bernhardhubl »

Hello Steve,

Beautiful image with nice structures!

best,
Bernhard
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Steve on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/10-17-2021-tss-astropho ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Gordon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 pm Congratulations Steve on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/10-17-2021-tss-astropho ... of-the-day

Thank you Gordon! Much appreciated.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Beautiful image Steve. Congratulations on the APOD.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 am Hi "G" - With my previous laptop (HP) what I saw on the laptop was pretty much what I got back on the print. I provided them a jpg version which I saved from PixInsight.

I have a new Dell Inspiron and I'm following the same procedure. . I'm hoping the new metal print will be just what I see on the laptop. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Who did you use to print your pictures?

Steve
Hey Steve, sorry for the late reply. I haven't tried printing from my computer yet; I will be getting a new printer soon, so it'll be interesting to see how they go. When I did get a couple of images printed, I used a local photographic service, and they seemed to be much brighter than on my computer, easy to sort out, though. Anyway...I'm really looking forward to seeing how the metal prints turn out :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Gmetric wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 am Hi "G" - With my previous laptop (HP) what I saw on the laptop was pretty much what I got back on the print. I provided them a jpg version which I saved from PixInsight.

I have a new Dell Inspiron and I'm following the same procedure. . I'm hoping the new metal print will be just what I see on the laptop. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Who did you use to print your pictures?

Steve
Hey Steve, sorry for the late reply. I haven't tried printing from my computer yet; I will be getting a new printer soon, so it'll be interesting to see how they go. When I did get a couple of images printed, I used a local photographic service, and they seemed to be much brighter than on my computer, easy to sort out, though. Anyway...I'm really looking forward to seeing how the metal prints turn out :)
One format I recently experimented with was an Acrylic print. It's the first format I've seen that captures that high contrast feel you get with a monitor. Unfortunately it's not cheap, so definitely a format I'd reserve for the best of the best.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

starfield wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:09 pm One format I recently experimented with was an Acrylic print. It's the first format I've seen that captures that high contrast feel you get with a monitor. Unfortunately it's not cheap, so definitely a format I'd reserve for the best of the best.

Hi Starfield - I've been wanting to try one of the acrylic prints. They look awesome. They have the full color and crispness of a glossy print.

The metal prints are literally printed on a piece of aluminum. They have virtually identical full color and crispness of a glossy print. They aren't as expensive as the acrylic print, but, still pricy.

Wish i could afford to print all my NB images. Of course then I would have to find a place to hang them!

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

This is for Gmetric and anyone else who is interested in metal prints. The picture below shows my new metal print of the Cave Nebula hanging on a wall in my house. This is a 20"x30" print. I need to find a way to better illuminate the print to bring out the colors. Like a glossy print there is reflection off the front of the print, so, lighting has to come from a direction where you won't see the light source in reflection.

Cave Nebula On Wall.jpg

The colors are bright and the detail is just as good as on the monitor.

The picture below is another metal print, this time of the Heart Nebula. It is a 30"x40" metal print that hangs on the wall over my flat screen TV. It is illuminated by a strip lamp located on a wall to the left of the picture. If you look closely you will notice the reflection of a lamp shade and of some Venetian blinds.

Heart Nebula.jpg

Just FYI

Steve
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Very nice Steve. I have a couple of suggestions for you regarding illumination.

This is a battery operated LED motion sensor light. This would be suitable if you or guests walk past the print and it illuminates when you are in front of it. This might be suitable for example in a hallway.
https://www.dshop.com.au/buy/motion-act ... IQQAvD_BwE

If it is a permanent part of the room decor and you want it illuminated whenever you have the room lights on even if you're sitting still, I'd still recommend an LED spotlight but one that runs off mains and not motion activated. You need to be very careful with the color temp of LED's. The LED downlights in my kitchen have a little remote control so that you can alter the colour temperature of the illumination. So that might be an option. Why the previous owners built this feature into kitchen bench lights I do not know.

Cheers
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Great reprocess Steve and congratulations on another well deserved APOD!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm Very nice Steve. I have a couple of suggestions for you regarding illumination.

This is a battery operated LED motion sensor light. This would be suitable if you or guests walk past the print and it illuminates when you are in front of it. This might be suitable for example in a hallway.
https://www.dshop.com.au/buy/motion-act ... IQQAvD_BwE

If it is a permanent part of the room decor and you want it illuminated whenever you have the room lights on even if you're sitting still, I'd still recommend an LED spotlight but one that runs off mains and not motion activated. You need to be very careful with the color temp of LED's. The LED downlights in my kitchen have a little remote control so that you can alter the colour temperature of the illumination. So that might be an option. Why the previous owners built this feature into kitchen bench lights I do not know.

Cheers
Joe

Thanks Joe. The light bar I have uses LED's and it works great. Unfortunately I don't have a good spot to locate a spotlight. Maybe I can figure a way to build some into the ceiling of my mobile home. The problem is it's tough to get access to put in any wiring. Appreciate the suggestions.

Steve
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Beautiful repro and definitely a wall hangar. Congrats on the well deserved TSS APOD!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/