Post your DSO images here.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

NGC 7000 North American Nebula 24/9/21

Post by Greenman »

Been a few nice nights this week in the UK, about time!

30 subs; 360 secs; lights only Altair EDF72 Deluxe; 0.8 R/F: Optolong 1.25 CLS: ASI 533 MC main; ASI 120MM Guide; ASIAir Pro. Total integration 3 hours.
Processed in DSS; Star Tools & PS 2021.

Work ongoing on a PI version.

ImageNGC7000 ST3 PS by Tony Boutle, on Flickr
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: NGC 7000 North American Nebula 24/9/21

Post by SpyderwerX »

Beautiful image!
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice image Tony!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your ADU mean comparing your lights to your darks?

With my 533 and a lp filter (IDAS LPS D-1) my ADU gets up there at 60 seconds. With the L-eNhance maybe 120 seconds.

I am no expert by any stretch, but I try to shoot for a mean ADU delta of about 200-300 (mean ADU light frame - mean ADU Dark frame). My darks usually run about 1900-2000 ADU (I use a high offset of 50) and I like to have my lights run about 2200-2300. I get better star control with a lower integration time (ADU).

I am really enjoying my 533. Luckily, I am out using it tonight! Shooting IC1396. I had a fun last night too. Collected about 4.4 hours on IC1396 and 2.8 hours on the Heart.

Trying a repeat tonight if the clouds stay away.

Keep up the good work sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Fine work,thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful ❤️
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a nice North America Nebula Tony.

How's it going on the PI version?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:10 am That's a nice North America Nebula Tony.

How's it going on the PI version?

Regards

Graeme
I’m working on it I find the EZSuite helpful… I hope to get a result I like in a few days.
Cheers,

Tony.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:14 am Nice image Tony!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your ADU mean comparing your lights to your darks?

With my 533 and a lp filter (IDAS LPS D-1) my ADU gets up there at 60 seconds. With the L-eNhance maybe 120 seconds.

I am no expert by any stretch, but I try to shoot for a mean ADU delta of about 200-300 (mean ADU light frame - mean ADU Dark frame). My darks usually run about 1900-2000 ADU (I use a high offset of 50) and I like to have my lights run about 2200-2300. I get better star control with a lower integration time (ADU).

I am really enjoying my 533. Luckily, I am out using it tonight! Shooting IC1396. I had a fun last night too. Collected about 4.4 hours on IC1396 and 2.8 hours on the Heart.

Trying a repeat tonight if the clouds stay away.

Keep up the good work sir!
:text-thankyouyellow: Not played wit the offset yet, but my histograms are a bit lower on the left than I would like. The integration time was really more of a test of my guiding. I’m getting the hang of the ASIAir and moving from 30 to 360 secs as my upper end is satisfying. I will try re imaging with an offset and around 120 secs with more subs. Thanks for the useful input Jim.
Cheers,

Tony.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Just trying to share what little I know (or think I know).

If course, lp has a lot to do with it too. You can probably expose longer than I since I believe that you have better skies.

I never really pay much attention to the histogram with this camera. Just try to keep the delta adu low.
From what I’ve read, the histogram doesn’t apply like it does for a dslr.

How’s it going with PI?
I am completely blown away at what it can do. Just have to learn that too!
Just started Adam Block’s Fundaments series.

I just brought the AVX inside. Had two nice nights!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:36 am Just trying to share what little I know (or think I know).

If course, lp has a lot to do with it too. You can probably expose longer than I since I believe that you have better skies.

I never really pay much attention to the histogram with this camera. Just try to keep the delta adu low.
From what I’ve read, the histogram doesn’t apply like it does for a dslr.

How’s it going with PI?
I am completely blown away at what it can do. Just have to learn that too!
Just started Adam Block’s Fundaments series.

I just brought the AVX inside. Had two nice nights!
Hi Jim - I just read your long thread on ADU etc. Really useful stuff. The ASIAir defaults to the ASCOM default of 70 and it is not adjustable. The idea of looking at the median on a 30 sec sub looks like a neat rule of thumb. As I see it this accounts for the seeing, filter etc…

PI is very powerful, but Star Tools wins hands down on being intuitive. I expect more control over the final image quality from PI so I will stick with it. Star Tools can give a real feel for the quality of the image and in my hands now the DSS/Star Tools gives me a good look see image in 30 mins.

I have a unhappy tendency to forget the settings in PI, and have to do a lot of back tracking and rereading stuff. Plus the flexibility give you a plethora of workflows and training videos can reflect this.

Yep Bortle 4 gives me less noise, but the stars blow out faster. It all comes down to a compromise to get the best imaging. Fun this, and no one said it was easy :lol: .
Cheers,

Tony.

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done, Tony!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Greenman wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi Jim - I just read your long thread on ADU etc. Really useful stuff. The ASIAir defaults to the ASCOM default of 70 and it is not adjustable. The idea of looking at the median on a 30 sec sub looks like a neat rule of thumb. As I see it this accounts for the seeing, filter etc…

PI is very powerful, but Star Tools wins hands down on being intuitive. I expect more control over the final image quality from PI so I will stick with it. Star Tools can give a real feel for the quality of the image and in my hands now the DSS/Star Tools gives me a good look see image in 30 mins.

I have a unhappy tendency to forget the settings in PI, and have to do a lot of back tracking and rereading stuff. Plus the flexibility give you a plethora of workflows and training videos can reflect this.

Yep Bortle 4 gives me less noise, but the stars blow out faster. It all comes down to a compromise to get the best imaging. Fun this, and no one said it was easy :lol: .
Wow, Bortle 4, how nice!

I think as you progress with PI, you will get more comfortable as I have so far. I have only scratched the surface!

It seems like every time I get into trouble or have an issue, I really learn a lot of new things researching the issue. It is so deep I wanted to get started before I got any older!

Can't you run the ZWO native driver with the ASIAir? If so, you should be able to change the offset.

No, this hobby isn't easy, but the challenge makes it so darn much fun!
Jim

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:16 pm
Greenman wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Wow, Bortle 4, how nice!

I think as you progress with PI, you will get more comfortable as I have so far. I have only scratched the surface!

It seems like every time I get into trouble or have an issue, I really learn a lot of new things researching the issue. It is so deep I wanted to get started before I got any older!

Can't you run the ZWO native driver with the ASIAir? If so, you should be able to change the offset.

No, this hobby isn't easy, but the challenge makes it so darn much fun!
Nope the ASIAir is as easy as 1-2-3 so it gives you no option on the offset as it is not needed (ZWO's words and marketing). Mind you, I am very pleased with how the little box has accelerated my ability with the AVX.

I agree about the hobby, it appeals to a certain 'because its there' attitude in us all. Easy is not a much fun.

Processing at the moment and so far, so good. ;)
Cheers,

Tony.