Post your DSO images here.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

NGC 6960 on Steriods

Post by Juno16 »

Yes, it is bold and yes, it is saturated. I guess that it is overdone in every way!

I was just having fun with my first light image with my new Sharpstar 61 EDPHII scope.

Still using the same camera (and will be for quite awhile), the ASI533MC-P. Very much under sampled with this configuration.

This is only a small portion of the image. I like the tendrils details, so I went with it. Actually, I saw an image on Google images with similar coloration that I liked, so I bent the processing that way.

NGC6369 supersize!
9-15-3ps_crop.jpg
Extracted from the full image where Pickering's Triangle was the main target.
9-15-3ps sm.jpg
May be too much for some folks and I understand that.

I just figured out the basics of producing a drizzled image in Pixinsight and I am working on it now. Amazing how huge files become when drizzling. What takes 20 seconds for a process to execute, takes 2-5 minutes for a drizzled image.

One thing about it though, the stars are amazing. Nice and round and very smooth.

We will see. I will share.

Have a nice evening all!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NGC 6960 on Steriods

Post by JayTee »

Okay, I'm just going to give it a big WOW!

Nicely done
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:24 am Okay, I'm just going to give it a big WOW!

Nicely done
Thanks JT. I know it somewhat looks like a neon sign!

Nice to be able to push the data like that.

The little scope looks promising!

I’ll post something more reasonable soon.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Very nice image Jim...

I call it AstroArt™ :D
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great!! Well done, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Not too much for me! The Witches Broom deserves to be pushed. I am loving it!

Bob
Last edited by bobharmony on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I mainly look at images like yours Jim for the appeal of their beauty.

To me, your image is both beautiful and pleasing to the eye.

Well done.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Steve @Mac , Marius @MariusD69 , Bob @bobharmony , and Vanessa @Butterfly Maiden !

Glad that you like it Bob!

It is a bit strong for me. Everyone has their own taste and that is one of the cool parts of this hobby. The basic data is there and how it is presented is an individual taste. The data can be revisited again with a different flair on the result, but it’s the same data!

I’m working on the repro now. It will be somewhat less bold, with more teal colored tendrils and filaments. The biggest reason for the repro is for me to learn drizzling. I am way undersampled with this scope/ camera at 2.8 arcsec/pixel. The drizzled stars look great and I’m hoping that adds to the repro too.

Biggest thing is that I am happy with the Sharpstar 61’s first light.

Thanks all!
Jim

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Beautiful Jim! For my education, did you use filters, and what is the integration time? If you did not use filters I am curious how much PI reduced the stars. I'm thinking about buying PI and star reduction would be the number 1 reason, Gimp just doesn't do that and using StarNet++ every time gets old. I think you could easily reduce the saturation, and add a non saturated stars only image to a starless image to get some colors in those stars.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I'm so sorry Henk!

I was working with the new drizzled version while taking Adam Block's PI Fundamentals course and I quickly posted the original process just for fun. I'm not the best multitasker!

I did not include any capture information!

145 subs of 120 seconds (about 4.8 hours of total integration) with my ASI533MC-P on 9-2-21 with a gain of 104 at 0C. L-eNhance filter.

Captured with N.I.N.A. and guided with PHD2. Processed in Pixinsight with a touch of saturation and NR in Photoshop Camera Raw.

As far as star reduction, there are several ways that I have encountered in my inexperience so far. I'm sure that there are more ways and better ways to use the processes that I am mentioning.

Starnet++ is integrated into PI which makes using it very handy. It works quite well for me, but not so much for this image. Starnet++ produced artifacts that I could't repair on the tendrils to the left of star 52 Cygni (NGC 6960). So, I didn't use Starnet++ on this image. I did use Morphological Transformation which did a pretty good job, but I had to tread lightly because it seemed to bridge the dim stars making them look like lines (very undesirable). There is, however a new script available called Star De-Emphasizer by Astroswell that works quite well. To use the script, you need to separate the stars from the image with Starnet++ to create a starless version. Then the script de-emphasizes the stars in the non-linear image that you are working with. The script works quite well.

Another thing that I noticed since processing this image is that Starnet++ works better on images that are stretched using a different process in PI. For instance, when working with the new process, I used the process MaskedStretch to make the image non-linear.
Starnet++ did a really good job at removing the stars and leaving a fairly clean starless image. The original stretch that I used was a basic STF stretch. I know that this terminology sounds unfamiliar, but what I am trying to say is that I am learning new things all of the time!!!

If you do go the PI route, I think that you will find that the software is deep, but the learnings and power of the application is amazing.

Hope that this helps some!
Jim

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:44 pm I'm so sorry Henk!

I was working with the new drizzled version while taking Adam Block's PI Fundamentals course and I quickly posted the original process just for fun. I'm not the best multitasker!

I did not include any capture information!

145 subs of 120 seconds (about 4.8 hours of total integration) with my ASI533MC-P on 9-2-21 with a gain of 104 at 0C. L-eNhance filter.

Captured with N.I.N.A. and guided with PHD2. Processed in Pixinsight with a touch of saturation and NR in Photoshop Camera Raw.

As far as star reduction, there are several ways that I have encountered in my inexperience so far. I'm sure that there are more ways and better ways to use the processes that I am mentioning.

Starnet++ is integrated into PI which makes using it very handy. It works quite well for me, but not so much for this image. Starnet++ produced artifacts that I could't repair on the tendrils to the left of star 52 Cygni (NGC 6960). So, I didn't use Starnet++ on this image. I did use Morphological Transformation which did a pretty good job, but I had to tread lightly because it seemed to bridge the dim stars making them look like lines (very undesirable). There is, however a new script available called Star De-Emphasizer by Astroswell that works quite well. To use the script, you need to separate the stars from the image with Starnet++ to create a starless version. Then the script de-emphasizes the stars in the non-linear image that you are working with. The script works quite well.

Another thing that I noticed since processing this image is that Starnet++ works better on images that are stretched using a different process in PI. For instance, when working with the new process, I used the process MaskedStretch to make the image non-linear.
Starnet++ did a really good job at removing the stars and leaving a fairly clean starless image. The original stretch that I used was a basic STF stretch. I know that this terminology sounds unfamiliar, but what I am trying to say is that I am learning new things all of the time!!!

If you do go the PI route, I think that you will find that the software is deep, but the learnings and power of the application is amazing.

Hope that this helps some!
Very helpful, thanks! With the L-enhance the stars won't have much color though the filter is great for this target. It explains why the stars don't take over the entire image.

I am hoping to do something similar with the Astrocat 51. I've used it a few times on the AVX and I was pleased. It is great for star fields but for faint targets the stars take over and you need a filter.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi jim, thats a great image, sometimes "neon" works and this is one of thoseimages.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice image , i love the tone to it , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I gotta say Jim, that is awesome! It's almost 3-D looking at it, but that could just be my eyes... That Sharpstar 61 scope is really serving you well; I love wide-field views :D

They would look good hanging on a wall ;)

All the best and thanks for that,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:57 pm Hi jim, thats a great image, sometimes "neon" works and this is one of thoseimages.
Thanks David!

Definitely neon. Just caught my fancy at the time.

So far with the reprocess, drizzling really produces nice stars, but the extra disk space and much longer processing times are taking away from its charm somewhat. In the end, by the time that the stars are reduced (and the certainly dominate this field), it is looking like there isn't enough difference to justify the extra processing. It really an amazing process (drizzling), but the view might not me worth the climb at least for this target.

messier 111 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm very nice image , i love the tone to it , thx .

Thanks M111! Your comments are always very welcomed!

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:57 pm I gotta say Jim, that is awesome! It's almost 3-D looking at it, but that could just be my eyes... That Sharpstar 61 scope is really serving you well; I love wide-field views :D

They would look good hanging on a wall ;)

All the best and thanks for that,

Hey Mark!

Thanks for your nice words. The Sharpstar is really a joy to use. I had to mount a 10" dovetail to the bottom to the original 4" to get balance, but except for that little mod, it is so easy to drag around and set up and it weighs very little.

Yeah, the view isn't as large as it would be with a larger sensor camera, but they are 3-4 times wider than my ES scope. Lots of fun!!!

Thanks buddy!
Jim

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's just awesome Jim!!!! 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I may be a bumpkin Jim , but for what it is worth...I like the images...😊
👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Fantastic image Jim. This is a lowish north object for me. Tried it a few weeks ago but with the short imaging window, didn't get as much depth as you.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am Fantastic image Jim. This is a lowish north object for me. Tried it a few weeks ago but with the short imaging window, didn't get as much depth as you.

Thanks Joe!

For being so low, you captured a fine image Joe.

I am fortunate that Cygnus passes almost directly overhead.

Wish that I could have gotten more time on this target, but I got clouded out.

Man, Joe, I can’t imagine Bortle 1-2 skies!
Good for you!!!
Jim