Cygnus Loop, Filamentary Nebula, Veil Nebula - you can chose the name you like

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Cygnus Loop, Filamentary Nebula, Veil Nebula - you can chose the name you like

Post by bobharmony »

I have recently completed my first mosaic - a 4 panel version of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus. I started planning this in April and had all good intentions of imaging in the July dark sky period. The weather had other ideas so I wound up with my first imaging session in September instead and got a lot less time on the target than I had hoped for.

I started by using the Mosaic tool in Cartes Du Ciel to lay out the 4 panels. The tool gives coordinates for the center point of each panel and a rotation offset for the camera. The center points were exported to Astrophotography Tools as custom objects, which I used to build the script that controls the scope during acquisition. As I don't have a rotator in my imaging stream, the camera angle has to be adjusted manually at the time of the session.

This is where I ran into an issue. CdC reported an angle of 340 degrees, which it turns out was incorrect. The correct angle is closer to 26 degrees (as I confirmed later with various platesolvers and astrometry.net). So my first nights results all were centered correctly, but were at such a bad angle that getting a workable mosaic built from them was not possible. The second night I had time to try a different camera angle but limited shooting time due to clouds rolling in. Finally the third night I was able to get a better camera angle and a full nights worth of data.

I used Microsoft ICE to stitch the mosaic together after processing each panel separately in StarTools. Here is the result:
Veil P1 9-6_stitch.jpg
Each panel got 50 minutes of time, which is all I can get between astronomical dark at 2045 and when the targets dives behind the trees at 0130. This consisted of 25 120" subs for each panel position. Data was calibrated with darks, flats, and dark flats. I may add more data to this next year, and I may try to get individual images of the Eastern and Western Veil using the data from all three nights if that is possible.

Comments and questions welcome!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Cygnus Loop, Filamentary Nebula, Veil Nebula - you can chose the name you like

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great work, Bob!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Cygnus Loop, Filamentary Nebula, Veil Nebula - you can chose the name you like

Post by messier 111 »

Superb work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Cool mosaic Bob!
I have yet to try a mosaic and the way that the weather has been, I may never get the opportunity!
I can’t imagine getting four separate images processed so close that they can be stitched together seamlessly. Nice work!
Did you do any star reduction? There must be a gazillion stars!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:49 pm Cool mosaic Bob!
I have yet to try a mosaic and the way that the weather has been, I may never get the opportunity!
I can’t imagine getting four separate images processed so close that they can be stitched together seamlessly. Nice work!
Did you do any star reduction? There must be a gazillion stars!
Thanks, Jim. I did enjoy trying out a mosaic although I would have preferred getting a start on it in July if the weather had permitted. I think I will limit myself to two-panels editions in the future.

The processing was very simple because the data I had to work with was very good. Your old D5300 is very sensitive compared to the Canon and having the infrared mod was great for this target - it was a pleasure to work with! I used a flow that applied a lot of default values in StarTools, my contributions were selecting the ROI in Autodev and making sure the green was capped in the Color module.

You are right, there are an incredible number of stars in the area. I used the StarTools "Shrink" module to try and get them under control a bit.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by Jockinireland »

Its good to see you back imaging and posting - seems you had the same summer as i did! Thats a nice image to start off the season.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That turned into a real labour of love Bob!

Looks like it was well worth the effort. Nice to see an image of the whole thing.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Lovely mosaic Bob. Thanks for sharing.
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

FWIW, I was able to figure out what the issue was between CdC and APT WRT to camera rotation angle. I communicated and worked with Patrick in the skychart@group.io board and Ivo for the APT side of things.

It turns out that both programs use the top of the image facing North as their 0 position, but they measure rotation in different directions. CdC increases camera angle counterclockwise, and APT increases the angle in the clockwise direction. This makes it pretty easy to figure the corresponding numbers fairly easily. To get the CdC angle from APT subtract the APT measured angle from 360 degrees. The analogous process for switching from CdC to APT is to subtract the CdC angle from 360 degrees.

Both Ivo and Patrick are aware of the issue. I don't know whether either of them will do anything to address it. In any case, I will be better prepared when I do my next framing critical run on M31. If I get better weather next summer I may revisit the Cygnus Loop as well. What I got was a nice start but I would have preferred a lot more integration time on it.

Bob

SkyHiker United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Beautiful mosaic, well done!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images