Post your DSO images here.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Sadr

Post by SkyHiker »

A full Moon target just to see how the guiding is working out. 42x60 s with recycled flats and biases. About 1" total RMS guiding. Edited in DSS.
sadr_dss_small.jpg
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Sadr

Post by Graeme1858 »

Looks like the guiding experiment was successful!

Nice colours and a hint of nebulosity too.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Yeah, seems like the guiding is pretty good.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice, what is the run down on your current gear, i remember you got the new 10'' scope and you had some tracking problems on your mount ? what have you done to improve the results ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm very nice, what is the run down on your current gear, i remember you got the new 10'' scope and you had some tracking problems on your mount ? what have you done to improve the results ?
Hi Rob, and thanks.

It's a 12" not a 10" GSO Newt astrograph that weighs 48 lbs (steel tube). I use it with a Paracorr II CC, autofocuser and QHY medium OAG with a ZWO ASI120MM mini. The CC raises the focal length from 1200 to 1380 mm. The mount is a modified G11S with an OnStep controller with TMC2130 drivers and 17HM15-0904S steppers (0.9 degrees). The high level control is done by Ekos on a Raspberry Pi 4B, an integrated package with planetarium control, plate solving, autoguiding, you name it. I added DIY spring loaded worms to the G11S to keep it from binding up during slewing. Plenty of DIY components to worry about but it's fun to build.

The mount works great for slewing but I can't get the RMS below 1". Last week I tried counterbalancing in RA, which cut the RA RMS in less than half but 1" total RMS is what I've been getting on most nights. I have been experimenting with several settings: PHD2 instead of Ekos, disabling the SLW by tightening the bottom screws, counterbalancing, different guide rates, control parameters and guiding exposure times, multi and single star guiding. None of this got me down to where I need to be. I am at 0.56" per pixel. At 1" RMS a point source becomes 2/0.56=3.6 pixels so no point in trying my ASI2600MM, pixel resolution wise. The Dawes limit is 0.39".

I have to say that the seeing may have been a problem with the heat wave of the last couple of weeks. But I still think there should have been nights where the guiding is better than what I get if everything works as expected. So maybe it does not. I am currently suspecting that the $12 steppers that I use with 64x microstepping are not up to the job. Microstepping is great, it avoids gear boxes but the torque also plummets with the increasing microstep multiplier. So maybe that's why I get the noise that I do. The guiding is simply all over the place. If I had to guess I need to get stronger steppers or the some that have built in encoders. I just would like to stay at 12V that I can supply simultaneously to OnStep.

It would be nice to have a setup where I can run the steppers during the daytime without load to see what the problem is. I've been thinking about building some rig with a laser that I can mount on the saddle that runs in the opposite direction then analyze the RMS in the daytime. The easy way out would be to get an AP mount, which I am seriously considering. I also need to get PI because I know it has tools to minimize the stars. But I would like to have better stars to begin with.

I'm following the discussions on the Losmandy board about SLW and RA and DEC axis needle bearings, and just started a thread on the OnStep board asking about the accuracy. The G11 can work great with proper settings, it is unknown how well OnStep compares with the Gemini controller. There are several success stories but no solid statistics. My goal is to solve it or get a different mount.

Here's another image I took last night, this time Deneb. I used a gain of 140 on my ASI2600MC, the one for Sadr was 210, about 40x60s.
deneb_dss_small.jpg
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Looking good!!!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

cheers for the info henk, a good read on your mount analyst, it would be handy if you had a second mount or knew someone near by to get some seeing/tracking info , both my mounts,one being slightly superior then the other ,on a bad night they both will track very poor with very close rms error to eachother, so it is easy to rule out hardware issues against the sky ..

you've tried adjusting the spring worm tention?, also agree that a stepper motor with a built in encorder would be better as even a stepper motor can give a bit of periodic error and the more load on the motor,the worse it is ..
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 pm cheers for the info henk, a good read on your mount analyst, it would be handy if you had a second mount or knew someone near by to get some seeing/tracking info , both my mounts,one being slightly superior then the other ,on a bad night they both will track very poor with very close rms error to eachother, so it is easy to rule out hardware issues against the sky ..
Interesting idea. I have an AVX, heck I could compare them but there is the hassle of setting up both systems. About that daytime laser analysis, I could use the AVX with a mirror turning in the opposite direction.
yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 pm you've tried adjusting the spring worm tention?
Yes
yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 pm , also agree that a stepper motor with a built in encorder would be better as even a stepper motor can give a bit of periodic error and the more load on the motor,the worse it is ..
Actually it turns out its resolution is not good enough so it doesn't help much. OnStep users wrote a lot about this.
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Nice capture!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP