Post your DSO images here.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

M101 Final Process OSC+Ha

Post by Juno16 »

Yes, this is the final version of M101 (well, for now anyway) ! ! ! ! !

I have been working with the data from the 7.5 hours of broadband combined with 4.5 hours of Ha (derived from the R channel using the L-eNhance). See thread viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18131&p=151237&hilit=m101#p151237

Sounds like a lot of integration time (it is considering that I only get a few nice nights a month), but integration time is no match for Bortle 7-8 skies. I would really like 2x the data.

Graeme and Greenman (Tony) pointed out that the OSC+Ha process (12 hours) that I posted looked a bit softer than the original 7.5 hours of broadband OSC data and they were right.

I reworked the whole process from the beginning. Used the Pixinsight NBRGB script to combine the data and ended up with a cleaner version.

I used Pixelmath to combine both the first 7.5 OSC process and the new OCS+Ha process.

A few tweaks in Adobe Camera Raw finished it off.

A bit noisy, sure.
Over-saturated, oh yeah.
Over it, definitely!
Over it for now anyway. I have already thought about another approach!

Yes, the colors are a bit bold and I am sure will not appeal to everyone. The Ha areas definitely stand out and the image looks as sharp as the original.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I am good with it for now.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

Original OSC (Broadband) image 7.5 hours integration

MaskedStretch_pt2_pt0005withcontrast in background (masked M101) final_contrast_noise red in PS.jpg

Final OSC+Ha image 12 hours total integration

Final3 5-15-21 less burst.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M101 Final Process OSC+Ha

Post by Larry 1969 »

I like them both Jim!
I find M101 tough to process... I thought it would be fairly easy but noooooo.....

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Larry 1969 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:10 am I like them both Jim!
I find M101 tough to process... I thought it would be fairly easy but noooooo.....

Larry
Thanks Larry. Yes, M101 isn’t an easy process for me at all.

The low surface brightness makes for processing struggles.

Still would like to get more time on it though.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:33 pm Yes, this is the final version of M101 (well, for now anyway) ! ! ! ! !

I have been working with the data from the 7.5 hours of broadband combined with 4.5 hours of Ha (derived from the R channel using the L-eNhance). See thread viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18131&p=151237&hilit=m101#p151237

Sounds like a lot of integration time (it is considering that I only get a few nice nights a month), but integration time is no match for Bortle 7-8 skies. I would really like 2x the data.

Graeme and Greenman (Tony) pointed out that the OSC+Ha process (12 hours) that I posted looked a bit softer than the original 7.5 hours of broadband OSC data and they were right.

I reworked the whole process from the beginning. Used the Pixinsight NBRGB script to combine the data and ended up with a cleaner version.

I used Pixelmath to combine both the first 7.5 OSC process and the new OCS+Ha process.

A bit noisy, sure.
Over-saturated, oh yeah.
Over it, definitely!

Yes, the colors are a bit bold and I am sure will not appeal to everyone. The Ha areas definitely stand out and the image looks as sharp as the original.

I really like these two images. The OSC+Ha edges out the other in this pairing, though. I think the Ha makes it pop a little more crisply.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 am
Juno16 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:33 pm Yes, this is the final version of M101 (well, for now anyway) ! ! ! ! !

A bit noisy, sure.
Over-saturated, oh yeah.
Over it, definitely!

I really like these two images. The OSC+Ha edges out the other in this pairing, though. I think the Ha makes it pop a little more crisply.
Thanks nFA!

Glad that you felt that I didn’t go too far with the process and really glad that you like the Ha “pop”!
Jim

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

HA - I love that comment "this is the final version of M101 (well, for now anyway) ! ! ! ! !". We always come back to our testers, they are just irresistible. I like the new Ha version, you have gotten the best out of the two sets of data this time!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great work, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Jim, an image is always final(ish), rather like writing stories. Published, observe - see the faults, promise to leave it alone... For now...

Love this it fair pops and fizzes with life.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

New Ha version looks great.

I have been doing my own pixel math for NB and RGB combination. I may give the NBRGBCombination script a run next opportunity.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Both beautiful images Jim, nicely done!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP