Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Attempting To Bring Out The Ha In An OSC Image

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Forum,

I recently did an experiment to see if I could help reveal the Ha regions of M101 better than the recent process in April.

This is not an apples to apples comparison, but hopefully the difference is apparent.

The first image is a Pixinsight process of M101 very much cropped from 7.5 hours of data obtained in April.
This image was shot with the ASI533 mc-pro (OSC) and IDAS LS D-1 filter.
No matter how hard I tried, the Ha areas would take on a yellow-orange appearance and not the pink-red coloration that I hoped for.

The second image is with the April 7.5 hours with the IDAS LPS D-1 and 4.5 additionalhours with the Optolong L-eNhance filter to increase the Ha response.

The two processes are not exactly the same but close enough to get the idea.

The combined image was processed in Pixinsight using the NBRGCombination script using the original image data and the Red channel (Ha) from the
L-eNhance data.

Comments welcome!
8645B1AF-4382-494A-B7B6-F8778DFA4A4B.jpeg
EE3B60AC-4E83-43E9-8070-1C5F53E26539.jpeg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Attempting To Bring Out The Ha In An OSC Image

Post by STEVE333 »

Good job Jim, it looks nicely enhanced with the "Ha".

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

The Ha is definitely more apparent with the new data, Jim. Nice effort to bring it out!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Awesome! Well done, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The Optolong L-eNhance filtered data has certainly brought out the reds of the star forming regions. Good result Jim.

The overall image is a little softer, is that from the 4.5 additional hours of data too?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am The Optolong L-eNhance filtered data has certainly brought out the reds of the star forming regions. Good result Jim.

The overall image is a little softer, is that from the 4.5 additional hours of data too?

Regards

Graeme
I know that it does appear a bit softer. I am sure that the softness isn't related to the extra 4.5 hours of L-eNhance data because I am only using the R channel. Just my inability to process two images the same!

I still have a huge, huge, huge amount to digest in Pixinsight, but the application is so powerful that it is definitely worth it!

Yes, I am sure that it could be processed better for certain. The only reason that I posted though was to show the profound increase in Ha signal and the later process does accomplishes that.

I wasn't sure that it would be worth spending a third night on this target and shooting with the L-eNhance, but the gain shows. For the lack of available targets in my limited sky right now, I might even collect more OSC (RGB data on this one.

Not done with this one yet. Just passing along a learning.

Thanks all for the nice comments!

Thanks Steve @STEVE333 for the help!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Jim, neat experiment and results, looks to me like the softening is added noise from the 4.5 hour data. Can’t wait to see how it develops.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Greenman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 pm Jim, neat experiment and results, looks to me like the softening is added noise from the 4.5 hour data. Can’t wait to see how it develops.
Could be, but I really don't know since it is just the R channel. Maybe someone more familiar with the NBRGBCombination script could answer to how the combination works.

I just felt that it was my processing or lack of ability to reproduce the same process. Pixinsight does allow the user to save a process icon for each adjustment and that process can be applied with exactly the same setting to multiple images. Beyond me at this point though! I am just plugging along and learning.

Thanks
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You guys might be on to something. @Graeme1858
@Greenman

Not sure yet. I need to reprocess both data sets withe same settings. Probably won’t be today though! The CO/CFO is off work

Good to look into though. I do like the enhanced Ha, but maybe no so much if it is at the expense of detail/noise.
Good learnings! I’ll post back later.
Jim

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Wow that's a nice M101 Jim. 12 hours on target really pays off. You've got the color, now sharpen it a bit more. I've seen images of M101 with so much detail that I was wondering if it was simply over processed, yours looks clean.

PI is probably the best tool but what I don't like from what I've seen is the dependence on all these scripts. I like Gimp, then again it could use some more scripts for astro specific features, lol. Some day I may have to get it too.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 pm Wow that's a nice M101 Jim. 12 hours on target really pays off. You've got the color, now sharpen it a bit more. I've seen images of M101 with so much detail that I was wondering if it was simply over processed, yours looks clean.

PI is probably the best tool but what I don't like from what I've seen is the dependence on all these scripts. I like Gimp, then again it could use some more scripts for astro specific features, lol. Some day I may have to get it too.
Thank you much Henk!

Sometimes I look at the image too much and get off track!

Yeah, I knew that PI would eventually be the way that I go and I had better start learning! I really like PS and it is easy to move around in (I would think like GIMP would be.
The PI software is mind-blowing and the scrips are very powerful.
The capability is much greater than PS for astro, its just a very steep learning curve at least for me.
Jim

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

That's a really interesting comparison Jim. I'm out of astro dark now so it will be a while before I can try it out
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Jim on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!!

app.php/article/5-14-2021-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jim. Wow, 12 hours of data. I am glad that I only do lunar and planetary imaging when I can. Superb details in your M101 (Pinwheel Galaxy) with the H alpha added channel. Lots of sparkly stars and look at the vibrant color now. Thanks for sharing this with us Jim, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks David, Gordon, and Marshall.

This wasn’t really meant to be a deepsky photo submission, but rather an experimental attempt at getting better Ha response.

At 571mm, These are a big crops just to concentrate on the Ha areas of M101.
I’m not done with this yet. Might try for more broadband data if the skies allow, but definitely will dive back into further processing for sure.
A fun project!

Thanks all!
Jim

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

That's a lot of time on the target. Looks really good Jim! And, congrats on the APOD award for the day.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Jim and Congrats ont the APOD!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

amazingly done , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Beautiful images and a very interesting experiment! I'd be interested in seeing what happens when you normalize the processing.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Michael @helicon , Messier @messier 111, Butcher @TheButcher , and nFA @notFritzArgelander
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:51 am Beautiful images and a very interesting experiment! I'd be interested in seeing what happens when you normalize the processing.
YES! Perfectly put nFA!

I woke early this morning thinking of ideas. Something just isn't going right when I combine the data with the NBRGBCombination script. I will give it another whirl!
Jim