M101 with added time

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M101 with added time

Post by bobharmony »

I got another 4+ hours on M101 back on the 6th and have been messing with integrating it ever since. I am still getting used to the care and feeding of the modded D5300, particularly getting useful flats.

The light panel I have used for the past few years with the Canon has a decidedly blue tint to it, which the Canon didn't seem to mind in the least. The Nikon is a bit more finicky. So I took a set using an iPad as a light source. It has a much better balance between RGB channels. The flats I used for this image weren't quite perfectly exposed, peak at about 6500. I am happy to report they showed some effect on the final image, which didn't happen with the old blue flats until the flats were exposed to the point of clipping on the right side.

In any case, the arms are showing better in the combined data from the two nights, and the background requires less work to correct. In this image I haven't used the Filter module in StarTools at all, this is just the result of a normal process.
M101 1s flats iPad ST.jpg
C and C welcome as always. I will refine the flats exposure a bit although I jostled the camera a bit while collecting the last group and may have messed up the alignment a bit.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M101 with added time

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Bob,
Glad to hear that things are coming together! Man, who’d thought that Canon and Nikon would be so muck different!
You definitely captured a bunch of faint wispiness of the galaxy arms. Nice details! Good job sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Looking good Bob!
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm I got another 4+ hours on M101 back on the 6th and have been messing with integrating it ever since. I am still getting used to the care and feeding of the modded D5300, particularly getting useful flats.

The light panel I have used for the past few years with the Canon has a decidedly blue tint to it, which the Canon didn't seem to mind in the least. The Nikon is a bit more finicky. So I took a set using an iPad as a light source. It has a much better balance between RGB channels. The flats I used for this image weren't quite perfectly exposed, peak at about 6500. I am happy to report they showed some effect on the final image, which didn't happen with the old blue flats until the flats were exposed to the point of clipping on the right side.

In any case, the arms are showing better in the combined data from the two nights, and the background requires less work to correct. In this image I haven't used the Filter module in StarTools at all, this is just the result of a normal process.

C and C welcome as always. I will refine the flats exposure a bit although I jostled the camera a bit while collecting the last group and may have messed up the alignment a bit.

Bob
A super capture, deserving an APOD!

It is the Mel Bartels nebula making the nice frame!
This nebulae are highly likely IFNs, but according to their close proximity to the galaxy, they are also looking like tidal flows around the galaxy.

Visualy, I have only seen a glowing bow around the M101, but not these details, maybe I have suppressed the details as uncertain, or the observing conditions have not been good enough.

A similar glow, also documenetd by Mel Bartels, and seen through my binoculars, surrounds the M51, but at a larger distance away from the tidal glows of the M51.

Another tidal glow in this area of skies is on the Sunflower galaxy M63, https://forum.astronomie.de/threads/m-6 ... fe.305276/

Clear skies,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine work , very nice details , thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm I got another 4+ hours on M101 back on the 6th and have been messing with integrating it ever since. I am still getting used to the care and feeding of the modded D5300, particularly getting useful flats.

Bob

Looking very nice Bob. Getting some good details on the core.

I had problems with the RGB channels not getting equal illumination when I used my laptop as the "light panel" for taking lights. The Red channel was the weak one for my setup. I ended up putting a single layer of red cellophane over the laptop screen and it helped balance the channels. Don't know if anything like that would work for you.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful image. Looking good!

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

j.gardavsky wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 pm

A super capture, deserving an APOD!

It is the Mel Bartels nebula making the nice frame!
This nebulae are highly likely IFNs, but according to their close proximity to the galaxy, they are also looking like tidal flows around the galaxy.

Visualy, I have only seen a glowing bow around the M101, but not these details, maybe I have suppressed the details as uncertain, or the observing conditions have not been good enough.

A similar glow, also documenetd by Mel Bartels, and seen through my binoculars, surrounds the M51, but at a larger distance away from the tidal glows of the M51.

Another tidal glow in this area of skies is on the Sunflower galaxy M63, https://forum.astronomie.de/threads/m-6 ... fe.305276/

Clear skies,
JG
Thanks, JG. I never considered IFN as a possibility here but what I have captured matches up well with some of Mel Bartels' drawings that I looked up after reading your post. I may try to refine the processing a bit to see if I can get it closer to his sketches. It makes me wonder if StarTools is trying to clean it out as gradients, that is what I thought it was initially, as I am near a large city and M101s path rises up out of it over the course of the evening.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Looking good, Bob. Nicely done :)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 pm
Looking very nice Bob. Getting some good details on the core.

I had problems with the RGB channels not getting equal illumination when I used my laptop as the "light panel" for taking lights. The Red channel was the weak one for my setup. I ended up putting a single layer of red cellophane over the laptop screen and it helped balance the channels. Don't know if anything like that would work for you.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful image. Looking good!

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I have heard of using colored cellophane to even out the channels a bit. If my wife has some laying around I may give that a shot :) I'll need some red and also some green to balance out the strong blue cast the light panel puts out. The iPad is remarkably well balanced, but is only just larger than my aperture on the short side and can be a little finicky to get positioned just right.

Bob

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm Hey Bob,
Glad to hear that things are coming together! Man, who’d thought that Canon and Nikon would be so muck different!
You definitely captured a bunch of faint wispiness of the galaxy arms. Nice details! Good job sir!
Yes, Jim, the two cameras certainly have different personalities. I am settling in with the Nikon and figuring out what it likes. The color-balanced flats is a big deal and will help with moving forward for me. I like the detail it produces with the smaller pixels and it is more sensitive than the Canon. I did 120 second subs for this image at ISO 400, which gave me around 250 subs in total over the two nights. DSS didn't choke on it, but it does take a bit longer to produce a stack than I am used to. I am thinking of trying ISO 200 the next time out and either keeping the sub length the same or maybe raising to 180 seconds - I'll have to see what the histogram looks like in APT.

Bob

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 am Thanks, Steve. I have heard of using colored cellophane to even out the channels a bit. If my wife has some laying around I may give that a shot :) I'll need some red and also some green to balance out the strong blue cast the light panel puts out. The iPad is remarkably well balanced, but is only just larger than my aperture on the short side and can be a little finicky to get positioned just right.

Bob

You're welcome Bob.

You might try yellow or orange cellophane as it would pass more red and green and much less blue. Just a thought.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Great image! Well done, Bob!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Nice image Bob. I like the wide field.

The discussion on the Mel Bartels IFN is interesting. Hard to see on DSS2 plates (but there is very little care with the background on these plates). You don see much (if any) on internet images of M101 in AP. I suspect that is because many will likely extract their background to make an appealing image. My initial impression was a flat mishap (particularly since you expressed some concern in you initial comments). But JG's comments got me thinking. It would be interesting to do a deep M101 image that concentrates on background rather than trying to make a pretty M101. I'll bet someone has done it and I just couldn't find it.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Great image Bob!! Maybe I'll try this one again with my wide field .
Excellent Image and CS!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Very nicely done Bob!
Great image! Something to be proud of for sure!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C