Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Bode’s Nebula and a Puppy – Updated and Final

Post by Juno16 »

Hi all,

The last time that I posted the thread viewtopic.php?p=133918#p133918. I was fostering a puppy and missed out on a month of imaging (including four clear night in a row!).

Taking care of the puppy and missing out on a month of imaging (and just about everything else) was really tiring and intense, but the rewards and memories are priceless.
She (Fiona) showed me the very simple basic fun of life and I will never forget her and the experience. She was adopted by a family in Virginia and is happily living there now.
Feo2.jpg
I was fortunate to get some more time on Bode’s last week (six weeks later) before the moon got intrusive. Not as much as I wanted to get, but more time. I think that I have just over 7 hours total.

I tried to run Pixinsight’s new WBPP script on both night’s data, but had lots of issues with frames registering. If you have any interest in what happened, pm me or post to this thread.
It is not a PI issue because all frames register in other data sets. I feel that it is a ROWORDER issue because of changes in my imaging software that got by me.

Anyway, I stacked the frames in DSS and post-processed in PI. I really can’t say how many frames DSS stacked and registered because there is not report or log that I know of.

So here is my final image. At best, just over 7 hours of integration. Imaged on 1/5/21 and 2/16/21.
ASI 533 MC-Pro with 120 second exposures at a gain of 104 with APT. IDAS LPS D-1 lp filter used.

Every time that I look at the image, there is something that I want to change!

Thanks for looking and c/c very welcome!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Bode’s Nebula and a Puppy – Updated and Final

Post by John Donne »

Wowzer!
This a beautiful, Jim.
Dang !

It is very kind of you to care for the puppy...what goes around comes around...👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

superb work thx.
love the pup .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice one Jim - Your nice image brings back memories of my OSC days. Well done.

And congrats on your successful foster care efforts. Sounds very rewarding.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great image and processing Jim.

It's on my list as it finally clearing the tree to my North.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a beautiful image of the galaxies and a super one of Fiona too.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@John Donne @messier 111 @STEVE333 @Mac @Jockinireland

Thank you for you nice comments on the image and pup!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Beautiful image, well done Jim!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Your new Avatar is brilliant! You could caption what Jack is thinking! :lol:
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:43 am Beautiful image, well done Jim!
Thanks Henk! This was my third try at Bode’s and first with a dedicated astro camera.
I was pleased with M82’s Ha starburst especially.
Jockinireland wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am Your new Avatar is brilliant! You could caption what Jack is thinking! :lol:
Let me tell you David, Jack was super. He was constantly attacked and harassed and was an excellent teacher.

The pup gave me a good chance to get the Nikon out and shoot something other than astro. I collected over 200 photos and video’s of the pup and antics with the other dogs. Great memories!
Jim

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

That's a great capture of the duo. And yeah there's something we always want to improve. But you'll be back doing that one again...

In the meantime, wonderful image.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Very well done, Jim!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Beautiful image, Jim. I love the action in the center of the firecracker. FWIW the only way I have figured out to tell how many subs DSS has stacked is a line of text that only shows when the Autosave file is displayed at the end of the stacking process. It lists something like "One frame" and the amount of time that it covers. You may be able to work that time value backwards to figure out how many frames are in the stack.

Fiona looks like an old soul in that photo - I'm glad you enjoyed the time with her. I don't think I could foster an pet, we'd just wind up with another family member - good on you for doing it!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great image of Bode's and M82 Jim. Also, it's great to see that the pup went to a good home.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 pm Beautiful image, Jim. I love the action in the center of the firecracker. FWIW the only way I have figured out to tell how many subs DSS has stacked is a line of text that only shows when the Autosave file is displayed at the end of the stacking process. It lists something like "One frame" and the amount of time that it covers. You may be able to work that time value backwards to figure out how many frames are in the stack.

Fiona looks like an old soul in that photo - I'm glad you enjoyed the time with her. I don't think I could foster an pet, we'd just wind up with another family member - good on you for doing it!

Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information about DSS! Yes, I do see that DSS did stack all of the files from both nights. Very good information and thank you!

The last few iterations of APT (including 3.87.7 beta that I am using now) have had changes in how it writes data to the FIT header. I never really paid much attention to this because I had no issues (and didn't want to create any!).
There is a keyword called "ROWORDER" that Pixinsight uses to interpret both the Bayer matrix and the image orientation. I collected night's one and two using different versions of APT (one that wrote ROWORDER and one that did not unless I selected it in settings (which I did not do). So, I ended up with two sets of data (two nights with a time gap of six weeks) that had different info in the FITS header.
Even though I told PI not to use the "ROWORDER" keyword, I still could not get the right image orientation and all of the light frames would not register.
It is really good to know that DSS did register all of the light frames from both nights thanks to your helpful tip. This is especially useful in case I add data to a set a year later and have an incompatibility with FITS headers.

Thanks a lot for that information!!!!!! It is shown exactly as you describe!!!

You are definitely right about fostering a pet and winding up with another family member. I most definitely would have done that. My wife (the only one with sense in the family) told me that we are getting up in age and could not walk/control three big dogs. She is right. Fiona was on a weight/age ratio higher than Jack was and Jack is 110 lbs!

She does look like an old soul in that photo (and others). She was really sick when we got her and when she got to feeling better, look out! Almost everything in the house was unplugged and she tried to eat everything in the house and yard! She is quite a personality. When she left, I was down in the dumps for five days before I started feeling a bit better. Still miss her quite a bit, but at least she was pulled from a high-kill shelter in the South and is in a new home now.
I just might foster again maybe before the grandchild comes in July!

Thanks again Bob. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Dog Trio in progress.jpg
Jim

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Jim, glad to see you got some more time with Bode's and M82. You've really got this mastered for sure! Nicely done!!

I was wondering about your avatar; I thought late last month Jack had found the Fountain of Youth... I completely missed your first post about Fiona (just read it); now it all makes sense :lol: Good on you for doing that and I so admire your dedication to her. And very glad you found her a good home too!

BTW, Sarah came down when I was looking at your picture of Fiona. We both have to say, that is one seriously beautiful shot. The look on her face... :)

Sarah asked me if I could send her your picture so she could use it as a background on her Macbook. I said I'd ask you first... Hey, it's your pic!

All the best Jim,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm Jim, glad to see you got some more time with Bode's and M82. You've really got this mastered for sure! Nicely done!!

I was wondering about your avatar; I thought late last month Jack had found the Fountain of Youth... I completely missed your first post about Fiona (just read it); now it all makes sense :lol: Good on you for doing that and I so admire your dedication to her. And very glad you found her a good home too!

BTW, Sarah came down when I was looking at your picture of Fiona. We both have to say, that is one seriously beautiful shot. The look on her face... :)

Sarah asked me if I could send her your picture so she could use it as a background on her Macbook. I said I'd ask you first... Hey, it's your pic!

All the best Jim,
Thanks Mark!

Of course! Fiona really gave me a reason to drag out the Nikon and have some fun. I have hundreds of images of her and my dogs.

Here is a link to the full res version.

Please let your wife know that I hope she gets better soon!
Jim

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks Jim, I certainly will, and thanks for that; what a shot! Sarah is so happy :D

Thanks again buddy, and best wishes from all of us here :)
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Hey Jim that is one fine picture, oh, and I like the Galaxy too, you are certainly coming to terms with the 553. That gives me some motivation to get myself going.

I am smitten with Labrador’s and I would have another in an instant, but for my sensible wife Sue. She points out the downsides and the worst one for me is losing them. I have gone through one too many euthanasia’s I was stuck hard by our Cat 🐈‍⬛ Mia’s sudden demise. Sue points out the cost, need to kennel if you want to go away, and all of that is true.

None of that would stop me, but being a soft old fool - is what stops me. Glad Fiona got a good home, all our dogs and cats have been rescues.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Good looking image Tom. Swell dogs too!
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)