My Best Single-Frame of NGC 7000 North American Nebula

Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My Best Single-Frame of NGC 7000 North American Nebula

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I was able to get out last night. Though mostly cloudless the skies were pretty awful. Transparency was encouraging but the seeing conditions were probably Pickering 1.5 to 2 ... at best. Big time star bloat so I set about getting some ISO 6400 capture for my ongoing "Cosmos In 30 Seconds" Series. I''ll post 4 of the DSOs I captured last night at ISO 6400 with 30 second exposures, single-frame. Until then I dredged up this single-frame capture of NGC 7000 NAN back on May 30, 2020.

I was very pleased with the amount of blue/cyan and greenish nebulosity I was able to pull out from the mass of hydrogen red which typically dominates this DSO. Exposure was 180 seconds at ISO 1600 and it was captured with my 70mm f/5 Meade with a Canon EOS 77D unmodified DSLR.

Check out the meta-data.
Attachments
Meade 70mm f/5 astrograph 180 sec  ISO 1600 Single-frame Four layers
Meade 70mm f/5 astrograph 180 sec ISO 1600 Single-frame Four layers
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
messier 111
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: My Best Single-Frame of NGC 7000 North American Nebula

Post by messier 111 »

very very nice image , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS . :observer:

I LOVE TELEVUE EYEPIECES, DELOS . :flags-canada:
Jean-Yves .

WHEN I THINK I AM LOOKING AT THE SAME SKY AS, GALILEO, HUBBLE AND MANY OTHERS, I THANK LIFE OF THIS PRECIOUS GIFT.
Jean-Yves .

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
― douglas adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Hankmeister3
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, messier. I appreciate you looking and commenting.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

You just AMAZE me at what you can get out of a single image!!!!
That's Great!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
Hankmeister3
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Hey, thanks, Tom. I've gotten a bit better at processing these single-frame images over the last two years but I think I've hit the data wall. To be sure, lot of data cures a lot of problems and there's only so much data in a three minute exposure. But I'm happy to still be exploring this kind of entry-level imaging. The digital photo world really does have some pretty fantastic potential for amateur astrophotographers!
BABOafrica
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

That's a single frame? Impressive.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Celestron SCT C8 / Williams Optics 66mm APO

Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX

Cameras: Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider

Return to “Deep Sky Objects”