M81 and M82 repro

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M81 and M82 repro

Post by bobharmony »

I can't stop messing with my old data, and because it's snowing, I went back and tweaked (reprocessed) my stack of the data collected this Spring. I think I brought out a little more detail in the cores without damaging the periphery of either galaxy too much.
M81-82 repro.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: M81 and M82 repro

Post by Graeme1858 »

Nice repro Bob. Those two make a great pair.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful! Great job, Bob!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice repro Bob. It's nice to have a chance to use new techniques we've learned on old data. Helps pass the time when the weather/moon aren't cooperating.

Is it a bit green in the core? Maybe just my old eyes.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a nice repro Bob. Particularly like the detail in M82
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm Nice repro Bob. It's nice to have a chance to use new techniques we've learned on old data. Helps pass the time when the weather/moon aren't cooperating.

Cheers,

Steve
I'm not sure, Steve. It looks different on the tablet than it does on the processing PC. More green and maybe too much red. It was definitely bluer when looking at in on the PC. I may have to see if I can roll back the latest Intel driver. I really hate cheap screens for processing, and the lack of control of the appearance. I'll also convert to AdobeRGB and print a copy. I have been able to reproduce my expected colors on the prints.

I'm going to try some different screens to figure this out. Any other color comments are welcome.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm Nice repro Bob. It's nice to have a chance to use new techniques we've learned on old data. Helps pass the time when the weather/moon aren't cooperating.

Cheers,

Steve
I'm not sure, Steve. It looks different on the tablet than it does on the processing PC. More green and maybe too much red. It was definitely bluer when looking at in on the PC. I may have to see if I can roll back the latest Intel driver. I really hate cheap screens for processing, and the lack of control of the appearance. I'll also convert to AdobeRGB and print a copy. I have been able to reproduce my expected colors on the prints.

I'm going to try some different screens to figure this out. Any other color comments are welcome.

Bob
Hi Bob,

The core is a bit green on my screen too. but I have the devils own job with trying to get colours and particularly saturation right - something on this current screen can look great and on my tablet or work screen can look awful.

good lucK

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Really nice Bob!

These targets are some of my favorites!

Maybe a tad green on the ipad, but still looks very nice. Snow? Wow!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Bob!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Good luck with the green Bob.
I downloaded your image and played with it a bit using a new technique just demonstrated on the Image Processing subforum. It brings out more details and color inside the larger galaxy. The fact that more detail is there is an indication of how nice your data is. I can show the result if you are interested. Just FYI.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:31 am Good luck with the green Bob.
I downloaded your image and played with it a bit using a new technique just demonstrated on the Image Processing subforum. It brings out more details and color inside the larger galaxy. The fact that more detail is there is an indication of how nice your data is. I can show the result if you are interested. Just FYI.

Steve
Steve, by all means show what you've got. I'm always happy to see what someone can pull from my data.

I don't think I have a processing issue, I believe I have a screen calibration issue. Trying to verify that is the case is proving tricky. I used the StarTools Cap green at 100% and then reduced the green bias even further in post processing. There is no hint of the green on the laptop I did the process on, but it is clearly there when I check on the tablet. This makes me think the laptop isn't displaying correctly, and that is what I need to fix.

Bob

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I did the same, here's the result using only the Hasta La Vista Green (HLVG) filter in PSCC. Nothing else was adjusted.

JT
Original
Bob M81-82 repro.jpg
With HLVG used.
Bob M81-82 HLVG.jpg
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks, JT. I can definitely see a difference between the two on the laptop monitor. Also on the Android tablet. The laptop and the Android images do not look the same with the Android having more of a red-magenta disk where the laptop shows more blue. I thing before I go much further I am going to download the latest alpha version of StarTools and see what that does for me. My head still hurts! Maybe I am getting green colorblind in my old age?

Bob

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:50 am
Steve, by all means show what you've got. I'm always happy to see what someone can pull from my data.

I don't think I have a processing issue, I believe I have a screen calibration issue. Trying to verify that is the case is proving tricky. I used the StarTools Cap green at 100% and then reduced the green bias even further in post processing. There is no hint of the green on the laptop I did the process on, but it is clearly there when I check on the tablet. This makes me think the laptop isn't displaying correctly, and that is what I need to fix.

Bob
Hi Bob, I don't envy the task of checking the "color calibration" of different machines. I'm fortunate right now that the display on the laptop I'm using (HP) seems to have true colors. I say that because when I have a picture printed on metal the metal picture has the same colors as the laptop! Just dumb luck on my part.

Here is the TOUCHUP of your image using the technique shown in the Image Processing subforum. The original is shown below it for comparison.

TOUCHUP
M81_82_repro_Touchup.jpg

ORIGINAL
M81-82 repro.jpg

Unfortunately my touchup used PixInsight, so, the processing steps wouldn't be of much help for you. However, it does show that there is more that can be "pulled out" of your data. Nice job of data collection and stacking.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

That is some very nice detail, Steve. Thanks for showing me what is in there. I will take a look at the description of the technique to see if I can apply it in other software. I have run through a trial period with PI, so am a bit familiar with it.

Bob

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:29 am That is some very nice detail, Steve. Thanks for showing me what is in there. I will take a look at the description of the technique to see if I can apply it in other software. I have run through a trial period with PI, so am a bit familiar with it.

Bib
bobharmony wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:29 am That is some very nice detail, Steve. Thanks for showing me what is in there. I will take a look at the description of the technique to see if I can apply it in other software. I have run through a trial period with PI, so am a bit familiar with it.

Bib

You are welcome Bob.

After applying SCNR to remove the green I did some selective Curves boosting to emphasize the structure in the galaxy arms.
Then the color saturation was increased to bring out more color.
Next a Luminance image was extracted from the image. The contrast of the Luminance image was increased using the LocalHistogramEqualiztion process.
The enhanced Luminance image was then recombined with the enhanced original using the LRGBCombination script. This is the step that really brought out all the additional details and even more color.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Steve
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for that information, Steve. I think I can accomplish equivalent steps using StarTools/PhotoShop combination. Extracting a Luminance layer is something I have read about in PhotoShop but never tried - it may be time to jump in. That could be a game changer for me. I love the result you got, and am always ready to try something to up my game a bit. Think of all the repros that could be waiting for me over the cold winter months!

Bob

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Bob on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!!!

app.php/article/10-31-2020-tss-astropho ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:16 pm Thanks for that information, Steve. I think I can accomplish equivalent steps using StarTools/PhotoShop combination. Extracting a Luminance layer is something I have read about in PhotoShop but never tried - it may be time to jump in. That could be a game changer for me. I love the result you got, and am always ready to try something to up my game a bit. Think of all the repros that could be waiting for me over the cold winter months!

Bob

Glad to help Bob. I look forward to seeing how it works for you. It has made a huge improvement for me. I'm already using it for some reprocessing of recent NB images.

Steve
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Image and Congrats on the APOD Bob!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/