Post your DSO images here.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Heart Nebula Reprocess Making Blue "Pop"

Post by STEVE333 »

Prompted by helpful suggestions from bradleybcraig and Micke187 I've been experimenting and then searching on YouTube for a tutorial on how to bring out the Blue in HOO images. I found a very helpful tutorial by RockyMountainAstro that was easy to follow and worked very well. A link to the tutorial is below:

I followed the tutorial and was able to produce the image below on my first try. I was "blown away" by how well it brings out the blue as well as golds. It also taught me that all the details in a NB color image is in the Luminance. Even though my imaging session tonight was washed out by fog I'm still in a great mood because of learning how to do this new processing. I hope you enjoy this image as much as I do. For comparison my original processing is shown in the second image below.

New Approach
ImageHeart_Bicolor by STEPHEN KING, on Flickr

Original Approach
ImageHeart Hoo by STEPHEN KING, on Flickr

Comments welcomed.

Now I have to go out and bring in the equipment because of the fog - Grrrrrrrrr

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Heart Nebula Reprocess Making Blue "Pop"

Post by Micke187 »

Very Nice! Yep that was a big difference indeed!
Must say you got alot of good signal of the o3 too and it really does pop!
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Micke187 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 am Very Nice! Yep that was a big difference indeed!

Thanks Micke and thanks for motivating me to find this new processing technique. I really like it.

By the way it was only 4 hrs of 10 min exposures for the O3, but, apparently it was enough.

Cheers - Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Amazing images! Great job, Steve!!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Wow...

I just finished saying how much I liked the original.

Well, this re-pro brings out the blue ... as if we were talking about a completely new image.

So beautiful.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 am
Micke187 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 am Very Nice! Yep that was a big difference indeed!

Thanks Micke and thanks for motivating me to find this new processing technique. I really like it.

By the way it was only 4 hrs of 10 min exposures for the O3, but, apparently it was enough.

Cheers - Steve
Well 4hours of 10min on this target is plentiful to bring out the o3. For more is to reduce color noise so it wont be grainy. But this image looks really smooth actually :)
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod
bradleybcraig
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bradleybcraig »

NIce job, Steve! And kudos for pushing your processing skills!! Honestly you would be surprised at the results when you produce a color image that looks 'over the top' or even ugly and overlay with a really highly processed Luminance layer :-) I have moved from an approach of if I'm planning on capturing 10 hours of Ha, then I also need to capture 10 hours each of Sii and Oiii to if the target only has really strong signal in Ha then I will capture the most data there and get a hour or two on the other channels - basically to just achieve a decent chrominance noise level. I want the highest signal to noise ratio on the Luminance image. Color doesn't matter as much, just enough data to achieve a pleasant color palette.
-Brad

Hardware: Meade 8" ACF, Mallincam CF VRC-8 & 0.75 reducer w/ Moonlite 2" CS focuser & High Res Stepper, WO Star 71 w/ Moonlite High Res Stepper,
iOptron CEM60, Modified Canon 450D, Atik 383L+ mono, Lodestar X2, 2" Atik EFW2, Astrodon 36mm 3nm NB Ha/Sii/Oiii Filters, LRGB Gen2 E-Series Tru-Balance Filters, PoleMaster
Software: SkySafari Pro, Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, PixInsight
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/a028964/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradleycr ... roimaging/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

bradleybcraig wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:09 pm NIce job, Steve! And kudos for pushing your processing skills!! Honestly you would be surprised at the results when you produce a color image that looks 'over the top' or even ugly and overlay with a really highly processed Luminance layer :-) I have moved from an approach of if I'm planning on capturing 10 hours of Ha, then I also need to capture 10 hours each of Sii and Oiii to if the target only has really strong signal in Ha then I will capture the most data there and get a hour or two on the other channels - basically to just achieve a decent chrominance noise level. I want the highest signal to noise ratio on the Luminance image. Color doesn't matter as much, just enough data to achieve a pleasant color palette.

Thanks Brad. Your response to Ram concerning how to get details back into his beautiful Squid project is one of the main reasons I started looking through YouTube to find some help. I can't thank you enough for "pushing me" in this direction. I've always enjoyed your images, so, I knew that you know what you are talking about.

Thanks for the tip on how to apportion the data collection time. Right now there are several days of clouds ahead, so, I'll be going back to some recent NB images to try this approach on them.

Cheers

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

This is my second attempt at using the processing techniques from Teagan's YouTube tutorial. I do believe it is a bit better all the way around. Learning a new technique is always a challenge.

ImageBicolor_2 by STEPHEN KING, on Flickr

Hope you like it.

Steve
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Fine image Steve, I great improvement.
Well done.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Steve,

Your image looks beautiful. I have a full set of narrowband and wideband data on this and was finishing the NB processing when I saw your post with the link. I watched the link last night and started to work with the OIII and it really improved. Hopefully, when I process what I have it will approach what you have obtained here.

Great work.
Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

mbocca wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:23 am Steve,

Your image looks beautiful. I have a full set of narrowband and wideband data on this and was finishing the NB processing when I saw your post with the link. I watched the link last night and started to work with the OIII and it really improved. Hopefully, when I process what I have it will approach what you have obtained here.

Great work.
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm glad the tutorial helped you also.

As for your new image, why not make it better than mine? I look forward to seeing your result.

Steve
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

they are all super images steve. i've used that tutorial on data from my L-Enhance and its really great,. I prefer the second blue one for the stronger contrast in the detail.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

What else can I say?? BEAUTIFUL!!!
GREAT IMAGE!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
JohnP_1 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JohnP_1 »

Nice image Steve. I like the detail and processing.
The Eagle's Nest - Bortle 4-5 sky - scopes: Celestron C8 SCT w/MOTOFOCUS; ES ED102 APO CF MoonLite w/auto focus! FR/FF(s): Starizona SCT Corrector; Stellarvue 0.8 FR/FF; Explore Scientific 1.0 FF Filters: 1.25 inch - Orion Ha (1.25in), 2 inch - UHC, polarizer, Orion Sky Glow, Astronomik CLS-CCD Mount: Celestron AVX Cameras: Canon 60d (modded); Atik 383L+ OSC Guiding: Olivon OAG; ZWO ASI120MM; QHY QHY5-II Mono
jthommes United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Steve,
Your second attempt seems the winner IMHO.

I do find myself a little torn about the the Ha/OIII combine using some form of "Blue Pop". I have my pixel math set up to do the "Blue Pop" with Ha combine in one step with starless versions of both Ha and OIII. (Iadd the RGB stars after.) I can get a wide range of Ha tone from red to orange and OIII tone from blue to teal with highlights at the higher intensity levels. The question I am torn with is which is the best color tone? The conclusion I have come to is that it depends on the object and my mood. Seems undisciplined doesn't it?

Did your Heart nebula image employ any starless processing?
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Jim - I also use PixelMath to combine the Ha and Oiii for the G-channel.. I put multipliers on the Ha and Oiii for the G-channel such that the multipliers always add up to 1 (e.g., 0.7xOiii + 0.3xHa). I haven't played with the intensity of the Ha for the R-channel or the Oiii for the B-channel.

I also just play with the portions until I like the result.

I didn't use any starless processing on the Heart. My telescope tends to have halos around the brighter stars, so, I have a technique that makes a "HaloMask" to remove the halos. Other than that I just did normal processing. The NB definitely helps to control the stars. Also, the technique of using a RangeSelection mask to protect the surrounding stars while stretching the nebula helps significantly with the star control.

I used the same approach (RangeSelection mask) on my recent SHO image of the Heart nebula. I like how it turned out.

It's so much fun when you learn a new technique that really works!

Steve
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Outstanding. Thank you for tinkering and sharing, Steve.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

Steve, the differences here area amazing! Since making the tutorial, I have adjusted me Bicolor workflow but I am so glad to see that it has helped. From the looks of it, the colors are significantly improved!

Welly done, my friend!
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day