M33 - 2020 version

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M33 - 2020 version

Post by bobharmony »

I got about 4 hours of 3 minute subs on this target Monday night/Tuesday morning. Because no night can go without some trouble the focuser gave me a bit of trouble. First it wanted to slip so I adjusted the tension knob. Then it decided to be cranky about reversing direction on the fine tuning knob, moving well past the point it should have when reversing direction. I wound up using the FWHM and HFD tools to get the focus as tight as I could as the Baht mask tool provided really inconsistent results with repeated reading.

The image consists of 78 180 second lights, darks that are a little too warm to be a perfect match, flats and flat darks calibrated in DSS and processed with StarTools:
M33 LDFDF ST.jpg
Am I the only one who gets all this "glow" around the galaxy? I would love to speculate that it is IFN showing itself. I have shot more subs of M33 over 3 years and they all seem to have that trait. I may combine the best of this nights images with the best from prior sessions and see what I can get out of them.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M33 - 2020 version

Post by MariusD69 »

Looks great! Well done!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:28 am I got about 4 hours of 3 minute subs on this target....

Am I the only one who gets all this "glow" around the galaxy?

Bob

I'm no expert on the topic, but AFAIK, the galaxy does extend out in the direction of that "glow". You had quite a bit of time with 3min subs. Maybe that is what you are picking up -- the faint edges of the galaxy.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

BABOafrica wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm no expert on the topic, but AFAIK, the galaxy does extend out in the direction of that "glow". You had quite a bit of time with 3min subs. Maybe that is what you are picking up -- the faint edges of the galaxy.

BABO
Thanks, Joe, maybe that is the case. It'll be interesting to see what more integration time does for it.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Wow, you even captured the extended galactic "glow". I've seen one other astro-image of M33 with the extended "glow" like that. It must consist of extended star "clouds" in the outer regions of the galaxy. Very nice processing, Bob. I think the "glow" is real and not an artifact of the processing regimen.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice shot, if I expand the image out the glow looks real, as Hank says.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

JohnP_1 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JohnP_1 »

Nice image Bob. M33 is a beauty, yet tricky to capture and process. As far as the glow, it is hard to say. This target is almost directly overhead for our latitude, which has its drawbacks. When I image even a little east of the zenith, I get a lot of sky glow from light pollution sources. I'm not sure you can pull in the IFN with 3 minute subs. The SNR goes way down with 4 hours of data, but, the signal does not itself increase.
The Eagle's Nest - Bortle 4-5 sky - scopes: Celestron C8 SCT w/MOTOFOCUS; ES ED102 APO CF MoonLite w/auto focus! FR/FF(s): Starizona SCT Corrector; Stellarvue 0.8 FR/FF; Explore Scientific 1.0 FF Filters: 1.25 inch - Orion Ha (1.25in), 2 inch - UHC, polarizer, Orion Sky Glow, Astronomik CLS-CCD Mount: Celestron AVX Cameras: Canon 60d (modded); Atik 383L+ OSC Guiding: Olivon OAG; ZWO ASI120MM; QHY QHY5-II Mono
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

JohnP_1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:07 pm Nice image Bob. M33 is a beauty, yet tricky to capture and process. As far as the glow, it is hard to say. This target is almost directly overhead for our latitude, which has its drawbacks. When I image even a little east of the zenith, I get a lot of sky glow from light pollution sources. I'm not sure you can pull in the IFN with 3 minute subs. The SNR goes way down with 4 hours of data, but, the signal does not itself increase.
Thanks, John. It is the start of the run that is questionable for me, as at 30° altitude M33 is coming out of the Hartford sky glow. I don't have a lot of tracking trouble at the zenith or after the flip. I haven't noticed the same type of issue with M31, which also starts out in the Hartford lights.

I am going to see if I can stack with earlier subs I have for M33 and see if more integration time changes things. My thoughts are that either the glow really is the extended galactic disk, or that StarTools is getting confused with this particular set of conditions. Extended disk makes more sense to me than IFN, so maybe getting more time will help sort it out.

Bob

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

After struggling to get the current data stacked with my historical session data, I finally realized that the image scale is different and I don't think DSS will support that. My symptom is that if I choose one of the current frames as the reference frame I can't get DSS to compute offsets for any of the historical data, and if I set a historical frame as the reference, none of the current frames will compute offsets.

I changed CCs from the GSO model which gave 1.1x magnification to the Baader MKiii which doesn't change the image scale at all.

In lieu of stacking more data, I am tweaking the K and S values for the current data and restacking. This will sometimes result in a better controlled final result.

Bob

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice image Bob. I'm pretty sure the glow is just the normal glow associated with galaxies. I've seen it with my M33 images in the past.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Very nice work, Bob! :) Thanks much for sharing your work.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C