Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Going a bit bigger and deeper on NGC 7000 - 70mm Meade f/5

Post by Hankmeister3 »

As I've learned a bit more about processing stacked images with my antiquated ArcSoft Photostudio 6.0 image processing software, I'm starting to extend the number of lights and the minutes on target.

Last night normally would have been a bomb with me given my propensity for single-frame grabs and the Stakker-lite process I'm trying to "perfect" (I'm using this term with some caveats here). Though the NOVAC Clear Sky Chart indicated clear skies (technically they were), with above average darkness, transparency and average seeing conditions, the sky at my Penfield/Middlefork River Forest Preserve location was really not that close to prognostication. Bortle 3 to mostly 4 skies, with slightly below average transparency and a very weak Pickering 4 sky. There was clear evidence of high altitude smoke from the California/left coast forest fires though it was thin enough to allow me to image within a 25 to 30 degree radius of the zenith. And that area of the sky conditions was changing hour by hour - contracting and expanding by about 10 degrees. So I had little choice but to work with the DSOs within that area of the sky like NGC7000, Dumbbell Nebula, the Veil Nebula complex, eventually the Heart Nebula and a pretty pathetic attempt at imaging Pleiades which was still lower and outside the mostly clear zone.

So I decided to grab some extended strings of those DSOs which were doable and was pleasantly surprised when I stacked and processed NGC 7000 and the Dumbbell Nebula this more. I'll sort through the other captures tonight and tomorrow.

Despite the cornball seeing conditions and the such, I was able to get over 18 minutes of data of NGC 7000 after sorting frames down to 8 very nice lights and no flats, bias or dark frames in keeping with my Stakker-Lite protocols. I'm hopeful I can eventually get close to at least half-hour of data with a stack of 20 or less lights in future forays. Also, my previous tweaks of the SW EQ6-R Pro mount's polar alignment scope are clearly paying dividends. I'm able to get close to five minutes of pretty accurate tracking using only the mount's internal Sidereal rate + PPEC. No outboard autoguider was used since the autoguider I have (as nice as it is) requires use of a laptop which I'm too lazy to bring out on site - plus all the cabling and such. Also my exposures-to-background-fog are generally in the 2.5 to 4 minute range anyway. The tracking rejection rate is about 20% (some nights more) depending on where the object of interest is in the sky.

BTW, with my current post-production set-up, more data time is making it a bit easier to process the stack. That said, I think I'm reaching the sweet spot of my Stakker-lite process. I believe if I can get to 45 minutes of data and keeping it to 20 to 25 lights, I would personally be happy with that level of quality despite not generating bias/dark/flat frames. But that's just me at the moment.

Meade 70mm f/5 quadruplet astrograph - piggybacked
SW EQ6-R Pro (Sidereal + PPEC)
Canon EOS 77D DSLR unmodded
8-frames, 18 minutes 15 seconds, stacked in DSS
3 Layers in ArcSoft PhotoStudio 6.0
No filter
Attachments
NGC7000 8-frames 18min 15 sec, Canon 77D
NGC7000 8-frames 18min 15 sec, Canon 77D
NGC7000 8-frames   3X Crop
NGC7000 8-frames 3X Crop
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Going a bit bigger and deeper on NGC 7000 - 70mm Meade f/5

Post by Mac »

Very nice captures Henry... good to see you adding more subs to your stacking protocol. It's paying off for you.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

Nice emphasis of the Ha regions.
Quite Impressive for a non-Modified DSLR!! I guess Canon took a lesson from their "a"-models, and moved the IR Cutoff to a point just PAST the Ha Emission Frequency.
This looks a bit better than my results with my old IR-Modded T2i...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Mac. Go big or go home? Well, sorta big. I'm hoping to reach the next plateau of my Stakker-Lite journey within the next month or so. I'm going to explore the difference in the basic quality of such limited stacks which benefit from in-camera NR software and without. I'm not sure what to expect. Any ideas on your part?
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm Thanks, Mac. Go big or go home? Well, sorta big. I'm hoping to reach the next plateau of my Stakker-Lite journey within the next month or so. I'm going to explore the difference in the basic quality of such limited stacks which benefit from in-camera NR software and without. I'm not sure what to expect. Any ideas on your part?
When I tried to use the NR built-in to my Nikon, I found it did a fairly descent job but it took too long between shots.

I prefer to have control of how much and where NR is used in the final photo. I guess a lot of it depends on the camera you're using and I look forward to seeing the results.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Mac wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:21 pm
Hankmeister3 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm Thanks, Mac. Go big or go home? Well, sorta big. I'm hoping to reach the next plateau of my Stakker-Lite journey within the next month or so. I'm going to explore the difference in the basic quality of such limited stacks which benefit from in-camera NR software and without. I'm not sure what to expect. Any ideas on your part?
When I tried to use the NR built-in to my Nikon, I found it did a fairly descent job but it took too long between shots.

I prefer to have control of how much and where NR is used in the final photo. I guess a lot of it depends on the camera you're using and I look forward to seeing the results.
Yeah, Mac, the Canon EOS series noise reduction software is not unlike the Nikon's. Both the 77D and 80D Canon's in-camera NR processing roughly takes about the same amount of time as the exposure itself. That's cuts an APer's frame grabbing production in half per night session. I want to definitively establish if the Canon's long exposure whiz-bang NR wizardry is really worth the extra in-field time and trouble in potentially creating a better final image in the end. I'd settle for the same level of quality if it means I can grab twice as many frames in the same amount of field time.

I ran a few quicky "tests" when I started deep-sky imaging about 2.5 years ago and at that time I thought the camera's multi-level NR features were a plus which aided subsequent post-production processing. But now that I've refined my PP techniques I'm wondering if that's no longer true and I'm better off simply grabbing more frames in the same amount of camera-time during any given session and then try to make up any initial image quality differences in the post-production phase.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

It's a tough target to capture with a DSLR ... the starfield tends to blot out the nebula. So, pretty good, I would say.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

seigell wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:59 pm Nice emphasis of the Ha regions.
Quite Impressive for a non-Modified DSLR!! I guess Canon took a lesson from their "a"-models, and moved the IR Cutoff to a point just PAST the Ha Emission Frequency.
This looks a bit better than my results with my old IR-Modded T2i...
Thanks Seigell. I hadn't known that about Ha channel and the IR cutoff and the newer Canons. Thanks for the technical heads-up. I wondered why I'm getting a good strong Ha signal though modding would help even more.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Looks great!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice, good colour, the stars have a nice luminance to them .

some tips, you could try using drizzle to get some resolution back around the stars , you'll most likely have to rescale it back down after to upload due to file sizes.. i checked your scope out, very nice gear . the image scale is 2.2 '' arc/sec , a fair ammount under sampled , a camera with 2.4 um pixel would be a good match for that scope , brings it to about 1.4'' / pixel .

The background seems very slightly cliped , there seems to be even more signal in the dark areas but it just falls off due to the background adjustment.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

Nice another Meade 70mm quad owner!
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Bigzmey.

And thank you Yobba for your tips. Unfortunately, my knowledge and experiential base isn't sufficient to make use of your tips at this point. However, at a later date, I'll probably refer back to your post as an aid to better astrophotos. For example, I heard of "drizzle" and have read exchanges at TSS about drizzle this and drizzle that, but I don't have either the experience or software to apply that processing tool at the moment. What software offers the "drizzle" feature and what exactly does "drizzle" do?
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

from wiki

Drizzle is a digital image processing method for the linear reconstruction of undersampled images. It is normally used for the combination of astronomical images and was originally developed for the Hubble Deep Field observations made by the Hubble Space Telescope.

https://www.stsci.edu/~fruchter/dither/drizzle.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzle_( ... rocessing)

deep sky stacker offers drizzle , it is a calibration (stacking) software that many users use here .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I followed your links and now I know more about what "drizzle" is and what it can do to improve APs.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

mbenjaminz28 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 pm Nice another Meade 70mm quad owner!
Presently, I'm more enamored with the Meade 70mm 350mm FL quadruplet astrograph and my Canon EF/L 200mm f/2.8 telephoto than anything else I have. It may be a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I think relatively bad skies affect smaller optics less. Plus guiding doesn't seem as critical either up to a point.
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Very NIce Henry!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 am
mbenjaminz28 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 pm Nice another Meade 70mm quad owner!
Presently, I'm more enamored with the Meade 70mm 350mm FL quadruplet astrograph and my Canon EF/L 200mm f/2.8 telephoto than anything else I have. It may be a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I think relatively bad skies affect smaller optics less. Plus guiding doesn't seem as critical either up to a point.
I love mine, owned it for a few years now. Very happy with it's performance and ease of use.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

TheButcher wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:45 am Very NIce Henry!
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to check out yet another NGC 7000 experiment on my part.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

mbenjaminz28 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:33 pm
Hankmeister3 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:42 am
I love mine, owned it for a few years now. Very happy with it's performance and ease of use.
I'm impressed with what less than 3-inches of glass can capture despite it being a quadruplet. Edge to edge sharpness, the flatness of field and complete lack of coma or chromatic aberrations are pretty impressive though one does have to pay a pretty penny for such quality in such a compact package. I really haven't been disappointed in its performance under good skies.