Veil Nebula Mosaic -2

Post your DSO images here.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Veil Nebula Mosaic -2

Post by Mac »

I added more data to my mosaic of the Veil Nebula.

30 - 5 minutes subs

Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Veil Nebula Mosaic -2

Post by STEVE333 »

That's really gorgeous Steve. Great job on the mosaic.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

well done !,a monster of a mosiac, 10-15 panels ?

there are gradiants through out each frame ? what is your bortle zone ? top right hand corner i believe might need more signal .

about that top right hand frame, i seem to have problems with doing mosiacs that run pass the target aswell, ie imaging a corner that has less nebulosty/signal , there might be another proccessing proccedure to help or you might just need more integration ,for now i've given up on doing large mosiacs (6-9 panels) because when i get to the outer zone of my target with no nebulosity i get a bad mosiac merges towards the edge like your top right hand corner frame .

I assume you're using 6-7 nm filters ? 3nm is very rewarding but very pricey , it makes lp graidiants a thing of the pass, well significantly reduces it beyond your standard narrowband filters in heavy lp .

other then the few artifacts/problems , you have a superb merg and a great image ,seamless, good star alighnment , a nice veil .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:18 pm well done !,a monster of a mosiac, 10-15 panels ?

there are gradiants through out each frame ? what is your bortle zone ? top right hand corner i believe might need more signal .

about that top right hand frame, i seem to have problems with doing mosiacs that run pass the target aswell, ie imaging a corner that has less nebulosty/signal , there might be another proccessing proccedure to help or you might just need more integration ,for now i've given up on doing large mosiacs (6-9 panels) because when i get to the outer zone of my target with no nebulosity i get a bad mosiac merges towards the edge like your top right hand corner frame .

I assume you're using 6-7 nm filters ? 3nm is very rewarding but very pricey , it makes lp graidiants a thing of the pass, well significantly reduces it beyond your standard narrowband filters in heavy lp .

other then the few artifacts/problems , you have a superb merg and a great image ,seamless, good star alighnment , a nice veil .
Thanks yobbo... it's very much a work in progress and learning from failure experience. The above mosaic is from 5 separate photos, taken across a few month's time. My FOV rotation changed during that time with the addition of a filter tray, then filter wheel and finally a reducer. This was all done with a OSC ASI533 using the L-enhance filter, the L-Pro does not bring out the blues near as much... it's like a magical photo accumulator. With no filter and 5 minutes, I could barely tell something was there.

Aligning for a proper mosaic isn't as simple as typing in a DSO object and software centers it automatically during my unattended sessions. The Veil is coming up earlier and from behind a big tree to the point where I can stay awake to center the object properly.

Still trying to decide on the narrow band filters that I will use with the ASI1600 and doing more calibrated frame integration. Pricey is right for those narrowband filters. I put off the vinyl siding for the Obs and got the 1600MM instead and blew my budget there. Now for the siding, then the filters and doing some channel separation from the two filters I have combined them into something.

While processing is fun, I kind of blast thru it much quicker than I should. I would like to start all over while closing watch rotation, exposure time and editing processes being the same. I am lucky and quite satisfied to have something this nice come out of my process.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:09 pm That's really gorgeous Steve. Great job on the mosaic.

Steve
Thanks Steve... I am learning from the masters, like yourself and have a long ways to go.

I need to improve my organizational skills for all of the data I am collecting and will return to it and start over. Many of these captures I didn't even use the SubframeSelector and toss the bad ones out until recently. Dithering wasn't done on most of them either and zero calibration frames. Parts of this mosaic was using the 1600MM as a luminance layer and why the nebulosity is so uneven.
Steve

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Superb, Mac. A super-duper project with super-duper results. To my untrained eye it appears to be very well executed. A lot of "moving parts", too. I don't think I could handle all the various pieces and parts which go into a mosaic like this.

What eye-candy! Poster material fer sure.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Mac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:59 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:18 pm well done !,a monster of a mosiac, 10-15 panels ?

This was all done with a OSC ASI533 using the L-enhance filter,
ohh wow ! i'm very suprised with the results from your osc and the l-enhance filter ! looking forward to your mono narrowband in the future !
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Mac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Aligning for a proper mosaic isn't as simple as typing in a DSO object and software centers it automatically during my unattended sessions.

what imaging software are you using ? i use sgp and it is ,once you work it out , a very easy to use tool. i just search my target ,i type in how many mosiac panels i want, add , then put my intergation info in and off i go .

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I didn't realize that was a 5-panel mosaic! Really nice job and perseverance Steve. I'm especially impressed considering all the changes in your equipment while capturing this. You have more "guts" than I do tackling such a project.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:30 pm
what imaging software are you using ? i use sgp and it is ,once you work it out , a very easy to use tool. i just search my target ,i type in how many mosiac panels i want, add , then put my intergation info in and off i go .
I am using KStars/EKOS on Raspberry Pi4. There are mosaic features in the software but I have yet to master it.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:14 pm Superb, Mac. A super-duper project with super-duper results. To my untrained eye it appears to be very well executed. A lot of "moving parts", too. I don't think I could handle all the various pieces and parts which go into a mosaic like this.

What eye-candy! Poster material fer sure.
Thanks Henry
Steve

ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Beautiful seamless mosaic Steve! Very nice detail and colors.
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

That definitely counts for a VEIL to end all VEILS project. Coming along quite nicely, to put it mildly.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC