requirements for a gift. recommendations?

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: requirements for a gift. recommendations?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:32 am Good to hear that it worked out well and the grandson enjoyed it.
At least with the longer focal length even the Kellners worked reasonably well and as you stated are a better choice for when others are viewing.
Next Christmas a nice Konig? ;)
We'll have to see. I like Konigs myself. :) But it might be that some mount upgrade might be a better idea. I'm thinking about introducing celestial coordinates and perhaps an equatorial mount. (Don't tell his Mom! ;) ) He seems to be interested in solar observing too. :yikes:

Thanks in particular for your reassurances about the scope. Your advice (and others) was helpful in making sure this was a good choice for now.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That sounds like a good step, by then he should be used to how the telescope itself works, an EQ would be a good step.
Baader film may be a possible birthday present? :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:24 am That sounds like a good step, by then he should be used to how the telescope itself works, an EQ would be a good step.
Baader film may be a possible birthday present? :)
I'm thinking so. Parents are not so helpful with supervising night time outings. They're busy professionals. My white light solar rig using a Herschel wedge is not as kid safe as a Baader solar filter rig.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Sinerjee
Earth Ambassador

Post by Sinerjee »

Have you had any more chance to use it?
How well does it pack down for storage/transport? I need something to take camping with us. I was originally looking at the Celestron and Orion travelscopes because of there good portability but one of these might be better.
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Reflector
Astromaster Lens and Filter Kit
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Sinerjee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:10 am Have you had any more chance to use it?
How well does it pack down for storage/transport? I need something to take camping with us. I was originally looking at the Celestron and Orion travelscopes because of there good portability but one of these might be better.
No I haven't had a second light. I live about 2.5 hours away so it's non trivial winter driving. It packs fairly well but the OTA is ~ 2 feet (2/3 meter) long. It won't be as portable but the optics will be better since it's a slower scope.
Sinerjee
Earth Ambassador

Post by Sinerjee »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 am
Sinerjee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:10 am Have you had any more chance to use it?
No I haven't had a second light. I live about 2.5 hours away so it's non trivial winter driving. It packs fairly well but the OTA is ~ 2 feet (2/3 meter) long. It won't be as portable but the optics will be better since it's a slower scope.

Thankyou for that. The length isn’t particularly an issue. Once we get a bag for it we’ll be storing it under one of the chairs in our camper trailer.
The video I watched had it look like everything was screwed together and needed unscrewing to pack it up though which might get a little annoying?
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Reflector
Astromaster Lens and Filter Kit
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Sinerjee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:57 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:21 am

Thankyou for that. The length isn’t particularly an issue. Once we get a bag for it we’ll be storing it under one of the chairs in our camper trailer.
The video I watched had it look like everything was screwed together and needed unscrewing to pack it up though which might get a little annoying?
There would be some unscrewing needed to pack compactly. The optical tube and altazimuth head would need to be unscrewed from the tripod legs to make a compact package. That would take about five minutes, not a major concern. More worrisome to me would be repeated screwing and unscrewing with plastic parts. I don't think that will wear well with repetition. Replacement with more durable metal screws will wear on the tripod fitting.

Are you more interested in DSOs or the Moon and planets? Since my grandson lives in a light polluted area I picked this scope for lunar and planetary observation. For DSOs binoculars and a photo tripod with a pan head would be good and recommendable.

One issue we had with the ultra transportable travel scopes is the shakiness of mounts and short tripod legs. I'm not a fan of tabletop mounts with short tripod legs.
Mandrew
Moon Ambassador

Post by Mandrew »

Keller EPS work fine on long focal length scopes, like f10 or longer.
Devout bino lover and Lunaholic! Scopes - Celestron RASA 8, Orion 180mm Mak-Cass, 6"f8 dob, ST80. binos - Orion 7x50, Oberwerk 8x56 LW, Oberwerk 10x50 Deluxe, 15x70 Deluxe, Oberwerk 100mm ED Binocular telescope.