Horse Tradin'

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Horse Tradin'

Post by bladekeeper »

Day 3 of my 9-Days Off from Work. I am still checking my work email but I'm not answering any of it. I can't or I violate my 9-days out. :D

Anyway, kinda fun watching everybody go. I had two issues left on the table Friday night, so I did as much as I could do on my own and left the rest to be handled by others. I had things set up nicely so all that needed to be done was the execution. Fun to see everyone running with it. :)

So I'm sitting here earlier today and was thinking I might like to have me one o' them ED80 scopes from Explore Scientific. Unfortunately, I've already got my Christmas present for the year with the Optolong l-eNhance filter, and I've already got my birthday present in the form of the ZWO EAF focuser. Hmm.

And then I got to thinking that I wonder if I can work out a trade. I've got a couple of OTAs that I haven't used in a while and have been made sort of redundant with other purchases. Namely, my long focal length AR127 (1200mm). This scope hasn't seen much sky time at all since I got my C6-R (also 1200mm). Then there is my long AR102 (1000mm). I enjoyed this scope more, especially on doubles, but the SV102T kinda fills that role even better due to the crisper apochromatic optics. And then there is the manual EXOS-2 EQ mount. While being a manual mount wasn't a problem (I really enjoy manual star-hopping), I never really fell in love with this mount. It is cantankerous when it comes to balancing and it's a bit too short for my height, even while seated. Plus, anytime you are looking south, the darn slo-mo RA cable is way out of reach. Not fun to use. My AVX is so much better, even with the clutches un-limbered and moving it manually.

I got on Facebook Messenger and sent my buddy down at ES a note inquiring if they had any ED80s on their Silver Grade program. Yup, sayeth he, they had a pair of them. I inquired if they'd do a trade. Might, he returns, depending on the condition of the gear. Well, I try to take good care of my stuff, so I told him I'd see him in a bit.

I loaded up both OTAs and the mount and drove down to ES.

When I walked in, my buddy was on the phone assisting a customer, but the ES president, Scott Roberts, was in the lobby. If any of you have ever met Scott, you know that he is one of the nicest guys around and he loves to talk about astronomy and equipment. We started talking AP and he was really excited about some things they are doing and a conference he'd just returned from in California. He said, "Come back here to my office, I want to show you a video!" So we went back to his office and watched some footage from the conference that he'd made.

Once that was done, I went back to the store area and grabbed a seat. My buddy Kent finally came out and we brought my gear in. He and Mike gave it all a quick inspection and deemed it all worthy. I brought home my little ED80.

It's a hefty little bugger, but man, it's so awkward looking with the big dew shield. Heck, I bet if you remove the lens cell, you'd see the socket in there to screw the light bulb in! :lol:

It is a brand new scope, never been used. The only reason it was marked down was because of a very small scratch on the dew shield collar. You have to look for it to see it.

While still at the store, I asked Kent about balancing it. Since it has the dovetail bar attached directly to the focuser ring, by the time you hang extension tubes, a guidescope, and a couple of cams back there, its gonna be very tail-heavy. Kent said no problem, just turn the dovetail around.

When I got home, I got it all configured and sure enough, quite tail-heavy. So I tried to turn the dovetail around. Yeah.

One of the little allen bolts stripped out very easily. It appears that the dovetail is only attached to the block under the focuser ring by two small allen bolts, and these only get in there about 4 threads deep. That gave me the hee bee jee bees.

And now I've got a stripped one. The sky was clearing up too. Not quality clear, but toy-playing clear. Dang it.

Thinking hard, I pulled the rings off my ST80. They fit the diameter, but the dovetail they were attached to was too short. I pulled the rings and bar from the Premium 80. This dovetail bar had an extra set of threaded holed that would allow for proper spacing between the rings and enough dovetail left over to achieve proper Dec balance.

Unfortunately, the bolts that thread through the dovetail and into the rings had the wrong thread size to thread through the extra dovetail holes. Dang it.

I found my drill and it miraculously was still charged. I added the correct size bit and drilled out the threads in the extra hole on the dovetail. That worked nicely. Now I have a long bar with narrowly spaced rings. Got that installed, the scope mounted and all hooked up on the AVX, and then the clouds swarmed in.

Waiting on that stuff to go away right now. Not sure it is going to. It has a rather hellish red cast to it. :lol:
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
Anyway, Day 3 so far...
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Re: Horse Tradin'

Post by Don Quixote »

Lookin good buddy !
That was my first telescope...well...not THAT one. 😊
I have never thought of turning the dove tail around.
I am looking forward to some wide field imagery from you out of this little baby ! 👍
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Wow, very exciting trade!

That ED80 would be a perfect fl for M31 and larger nebula like California and North America. And, a forgiving imaging scale.
I’ll say that you are a smooth talking horse trader for sure!

I’ll bet that you are going to really love that little scope! I really like my ED102, but sometimes wish that i had gotten the ED80. Really do need both though!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I can just see the next chapter in this saga!!! Titled "Honey, I've been Robbed". When she does the inventory and your down a scope and a mount in the count, she'll let you acquire 1 of each to compensate for your LOSS!!!!! :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Hmmm... Only day 3? I wonder what adventures await?! :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Hey Bryan. What about that plot of land where there's Bortle 2 sky? Sure you'd be more than 5 minutes away from ES but......

Just sayin', and you only have another week off! :observatory: :lol:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice trade Bryan and a nice save with the mounting rings!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice read Bryan! Man, wish I lived that close to ES, not to mention having all that to trade in :D But good for you; better one thing you use than lots that you don't. Too bad you had to go through the "refit" for the dovetail, but I hear you. Do what you gotta do...

So night number three tonight. I hope it works out for you; now pitter patter lets get at ’er... :lol:

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thanks everybody!

[mention]OhNo[/mention] Brent! You figured out my plan! :lol:

I really should take photos. Sometimes I'll bring a piece of gear inside and she'll say "What is that? When did you get that?" "I've had this for a long time. You've seen it before!" I'm worried I'll get into trouble for something I've already been in trouble for. :lol:

[mention]notFritzArgelander[/mention] Well, I've still got to change oil in two vehicles...maybe Wednesday...:lol:

[mention]Thefatkitty[/mention] That's a Texas-sized 10-4. It finally cleared up, then clouded, then cleared, a bit clouded, then clear again. Grabbing frames on M33 just to see how she runs.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Awesome stuff Bryan! Very cool the relationship you have with the guys at ES!!!

Glad you found a dovetail that you could manipulate, because my first suggestion would be to trash the one that comes with it... It really doesn't make much sense if you're going to image with it. If you're interested here is the dovetail and the rings that I purchased for my ES ED80:

Celestron - Universal Mounting Plate CG-5 & Advanced VX - 94213
https://telescopes.net/store/94213-univ ... -cg-5.html

Orion - 90mm Tube Rings
https://telescopes.net/store/orion-90mm-tube-rings.html
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I must be weird, never noticed that my ED80 was tail heavy or that there was a problem with the dove tail.

Well good luck, do you have a FF? I wonder if a reducer for your SV102 could not have accomplished the same.

Was that the Nightfall star party in Anza Borrego that Scott went to? Too bad ES skipped the RTMC...
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nice!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

:observer: Congratulations Bryan, hope you don't neglect the Moon now haha. :observer:
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Congratulations Bryan!

It looks like you have successfully traded some 'monkeys' for a horse,

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

Weeding out stuff you don't use is always a good idea--especially when you can upgrade in the process.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice horse trading, Bryan. It's a good thing I don't live near an ES storefront... I might have tried to trade for BOTH of the 80's. LOL

Thanks for the trade report.

Clear, Dark Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Congratulations Bryan - Good Tradin'
Looking forward to the captures you'll get with it.
How do you like the L-enhance?
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

SKEtrip wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:32 am Congratulations Bryan - Good Tradin'
Looking forward to the captures you'll get with it.
How do you like the L-enhance?
Thanks, Steve! :)

The l-eNhance is a great filter and works well with the 294, especially on emission nebulae. It was a good buy.

Bryan

a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

Nice job on the horse trading!
ES (in my opinion) rates highly, and the upgrade programs really do help. I traded up my AR-127 for the ED-102 (that I am using now) a while back, and I am thrilled with the scope.

Looking at that train of tubing from the focuser to camera in your setup, I think that a couple questions I was asking (separate thread) are answered. Looks like a long train indeed.
Looking at your [most excellent] imaging results, it looks like the stock focuser might be solid enough.

Hope all is well man!
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.