100th post on CN

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 100th post on CN

Post by DeanD »

j.gardavsky wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 pm The forums are platforms for exchange (of ...)
They have their sociology structure with the participants having different intentions, ...

In one of the German forums there is an ongoing discussion about the 15x-something binoculars, this discussion will last over the next 10 years,
or even more, my guess.
You would not believe, how heated this discussion is developing, because just one of the guys must comment on everything, believing to know everything better.

Calm weather, and clear skies day and night,
JG
I've been the President of an Astronomical Society with over 600 members. When it comes to heated discussions I would believe anything! ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Dcboyd United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dcboyd »

I lasted just 4 posts on CN. I was done with them. I am a newbie (not in age. I am 74). Ask a question in a beginner forum about a signature line as discussion was all over the place. Someone helped me then moderator put my question elsewhere and accused me of hijacking the thread.
I was still trying to figure out where and what I was doing. So I am done there. Lots of good info, just must walk on glass.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Dcboyd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:04 pm I lasted just 4 posts on CN. I was done with them. I am a newbie (not in age. I am 74). Ask a question in a beginner forum about a signature line as discussion was all over the place. Someone helped me then moderator put my question elsewhere and accused me of hijacking the thread.
I was still trying to figure out where and what I was doing. So I am done there. Lots of good info, just must walk on glass.
Welcome on board Dcboyd! We are friendly folks here, so ask away! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 pm "why would anyone want to drop $2K on a 4" apo for visual??? A 6" newt with a good mirror would best it." :popcorn: :D
Lots of reasons why. I prefer my 4" Apo even to 8" mirrored scopes. Here's how a 4" Apo easily bests a 6" Newt: Contrast is sublime, never any thermal issues so ready to go fast, star points through an unobstructed scope are just the bees knees, way less scatter through a good refractor than any good mirrored scope (it's physics so no getting around it), way easier to clean the main objective, never ever needs collimation, can use a binoviewer without the need of any OCA, more intuitive to point and find objects for us star hoppers, more effectively baffled from stray light than any Newt can be, no secondary to dew up, lunar observing is so much more fun with an AMICI diagonal (not sure one can get correct view thru a Newt), looks like a real telescope. Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons that make losing the extra aperture not missed in the slightest. :D :cool: :handgestures-thumbupright:
TSA w Binos (small).jpg
Last edited by WilliamPaolini on Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Dcboyd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:04 pm I lasted just 4 posts on CN. I was done with them. I am a newbie (not in age. I am 74). Ask a question in a beginner forum about a signature line as discussion was all over the place. Someone helped me then moderator put my question elsewhere and accused me of hijacking the thread.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Welcome aboard!! I departed the discussion boards on CN as well, but after 21,000 posts - just use them for the classifieds now. Much nicer discussion place here. Feel free to email or PM if you have questions you can't find a good place to post, or just do not want to post. Been in the visual end of this hobby for 55 years now!
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:12 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 pm "why would anyone want to drop $2K on a 4" apo for visual??? A 6" newt with a good mirror would best it." :popcorn: :D
Lots of reasons why. I prefer my 4" Apo even to 8" mirrored scopes. Here's how a 4" Apo easily bests a 6" Newt: Contrast is sublime, never any thermal issues so ready to go fast, star points through an unobstructed scope are just the bees knees, way less scatter through a good refractor than any good mirrored scope (it's physics so no getting around it), way easier to clean the main objective, never ever needs collimation, can use a binoviewer without the need of any OCA, more intuitive to point and find objects for us star hoppers, more effectively baffled from stray light than any Newt can be, no secondary to dew up, lunar observing is so much more fun with an AMICI diagonal (not sure one can get correct view thru a Newt), looks like a real telescope. Anyway, those are just a few of the reasons that make losing the extra aperture not missed in the slightest. :D :cool: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Preaching to the quire Bill. :D I would pick 4" achro over 6" Newt to. However, a well made 6" Newt is a very capable scope, and the value is hard to beat.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I think the last time I checked my ignore list over there, it was 43 names long. :roll:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dcboyd »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to keep everything where it is suppose to go and learn to navigate the site.
I used to do sailing and celestial navigation in another life many years ago, but that’s the extent of my celestial learning.
We have some dark skies RV reservations set up in our state parks so hope to have clear skies. Have downloaded Stellarium and Night Sky X. Again thank you for your support and welcome.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Do you have any optics to observe with yet?
-Bill

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Dcboyd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to keep everything where it is suppose to go and learn to navigate the site.
I used to do sailing and celestial navigation in another life many years ago, but that’s the extent of my celestial learning.
We have some dark skies RV reservations set up in our state parks so hope to have clear skies. Have downloaded Stellarium and Night Sky X. Again thank you for your support and welcome.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Welcome to TSS! Thanks for joining us 🙂

I haven't been over on CN in several years, I personally don't miss it.

I have forgotten my password and my email has changed so I couldn't access my account if I wanted to.

I'm very happy here! :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:57 pm Preaching to the quire Bill. :D I would pick 4" achro over 6" Newt to. However, a well made 6" Newt is a very capable scope, and the value is hard to beat.

Zero argument there! 6" f/8 Newt probably a best platform to see if one likes the hobby or not -- inexpensive, capable, easy to handle with a small form factor, fairly easy to operate (once the collimation procedure is figured out), and not eyepiece-picky when it is an f/8.
-Bill

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Dcboyd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:40 pm Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to keep everything where it is suppose to go and learn to navigate the site.
If you have a pair of binoculars you are to a good start. There are many targets in the sky which could be enjoyed even with small 8x40 pair.

Earth Ambassador

Post by Dcboyd »

I have an AT102 on order with a 25mm and a 8mm paradigm dual ED. I received a 2x barlow from Siebert Optical and have a Twilight 1 mount sitting in my living room. Just need the scope to come in. On a ship somewhere I suppose. Maybe next month.
Hope this will work for a bit
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Don't know the weight of a 102, but my Twilight 1 has a practical / useful maximum of about 12 pounds (ST120 with finder), at least in my experience. YMMV.

I also have 15mm and 25mm Paradigms and they seem to be a good value for the price. Again, YMMV.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Earth Ambassador

Post by Dcboyd »

Website indicates 18#’s. Hope so. Otherwise I am at limit. Scope weighs 9# without diagonal, EP, and my small red dot finder.
Guess I will learn.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Hey all - since we have meandered way off the original topic, we are going to go ahead and close this here.

Please feel free to open a new topic regarding the equipment that is being discussed here.

Thanks!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Return to “Refractor type Telescopes”