My new baby...

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My new baby...

Post by AstroBee »

I've had an Explore Scientific ED127mm APO for a few years now and have always been very, very happy with it. I've dreamed about getting the big brother to it, the ED152CF model but the price tag is staggering. Especially since I'm just now getting back to work after being out for 16 months. As it turns out, a good astro friend of mine managed to pick up a used (but mint condition) ED152CF for a steal. He buys and sells astro gear for a hobby. I begged him to hold on to it till I could afford to take it off his hands.
This weekend, he informed me that he wanted to sell it so I had a sit-down with the banker (wife) and she agreed that this was too good a deal to pass on.
So I'd like to introduce you to the latest family member, yet to be nicknamed, the Explore Scientific ED152CF. Complete with the newly purchased ZWO2600mm camera!

And fully decked out with my imaging gear.

Amazingly, although much larger and bulkier, it is only 2.5lbs heavier than my ED127mm aluminum scope.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My new baby...

Post by Ylem »

She's beautiful 😍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the new family member! She is indeed very lovely.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Nice!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Beautiful rig, congratulations!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Great and congratulations.
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Awesome! Got to read that first light report! :Astronomer1:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Well, I managed to get it out in the backyard tonight because I wanted to work out a few bugs like focuser backlash and Reducer spacing. Nothing worth sharing except that After a couple of hours I managed to get the backlash numbers right in NINA and now have a smooth V Curve. My spacing is off a tad bit so I've ordered a spacer kit that will hopefully fix that problem. With the same 0.7x reducer/corrector on my ED127 the spacing was exactly 55mm. That's what I'm at right now and it looks like it's going to take 56 or 57 mm to get the corners looking sharp.
It wasn't a great night for imaging with lots of haze and or smoke in the sky and with my Bortle 8-9 skies to begin with, LRGB imaging is pretty much worthless. I'm still waiting on my narrowband filters to arrive but that's really pointless at this stage until I get the spacing worked out.
Overall I'm still very happy with the rig and I'm sure with a little patience I'll get it perfect.
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats on the new scope. Looking forward to additional updates!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Way cool - glad you were able to get it for a relative steal, that's always helpful.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great addition Greg. I have the Humbler Ar152 Achro, but I love the ED air space triplet. Congrats on wrangling with the CFO enough to get it. I sometimes keep mine on the deck for a couple of days or three during periods of good, fog-free weather with a tarp laid over it. Otherwise bringing it out of the house and attaching the tube to the dovetail is a bit more difficult than hauling out the Z10. Really needs a place in a dedicated obsy, one of these days.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

helicon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:47 pm Congrats on wrangling with the CFO enough to get it.
Thanks Michael,
Believe it or not, it was actually the other way around. I'm the penny-pincher in the household. My wife knew that this was my dream scope and the one I've talked about for a while that I wanted to buy once we have some property and a remote dark sky observatory. My friend had this scope and was getting ready to put it on the market and I expressed my disappointment that we couldn't afford it at the moment. My thoughts were always to get the property, build the observatory, and then when we could afford it, upgrade the telescope. When she found out that he was willing to sell it to me for literally half the cost of new she convinced me to just switch the order of purchases since we really cannot afford the remote property at this point. What can I say, I'm a lucky guy. She's a keeper.
Eventually, I'll get the emergency savings account back to where it was.
So now I have the scope for when the observatory eventually gets built.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

That’s a hell of a setup! Congrats on getting a beast of a scope for a bargain. 😊 🎉
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice stack of gear, what do you have on it, a nuc pc and something smaller ontop ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 pm very nice stack of gear, what do you have on it, a nuc pc and something smaller on top?
yobbom,

The small white box on top is a TP-Link USB-powered travel router model TL-WR902AC which I use in the field to create a wireless hotspot that I can then connect to the NUC on my laptop or phone/tablet.
I'm very happy with the setup as I'm able to connect to the rig wirelessly with my laptop to get everything set up and running, then I log in with my tablet throughout the night to monitor the progress. Once it's up and imaging I can shut the laptop down to conserve battery since my laptop battery only lasts about 5 hours.
The blue box under the NUC is the Pegasus Astro PowerBox V2 which distributes power to the mount, camera, and NUC and works as a USB hub for the Camera, filter wheel, router, and guidescope. It also works as the focus controller for the Pegasus Motor Focus.
So with this setup, I only have one power cable that drops off the mount to the battery sitting below.

Oh, I forgot to mention this, the NUC requires 19v power and the Pegasus Astro Power Box V2 only outputs 12v so in the photo you will see part of a small inverter on the guide rail between the stack and the guidescope.
That is a 12v-19v step-up inverter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0 ... UTF8&psc=1
It would be nice if Pegasus made the computer power output on the box a variable output because I struggled looking for a NUC that ran on 12v. The only ones I found were using the much less powerful Celeron processor. My NUC is this i3 model which has easily taken care of the task.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087D ... UTF8&psc=1
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A very nice new refractor AB :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

AstroBee wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 pm very nice stack of gear, what do you have on it, a nuc pc and something smaller on top?
yobbom,

The small white box on top is a TP-Link USB-powered travel router model TL-WR902AC which I use in the field to create a wireless hotspot that I can then connect to the NUC on my laptop or phone/tablet.
I'm very happy with the setup as I'm able to connect to the rig wirelessly with my laptop to get everything set up and running, then I log in with my tablet throughout the night to monitor the progress. Once it's up and imaging I can shut the laptop down to conserve battery since my laptop battery only lasts about 5 hours.
The blue box under the NUC is the Pegasus Astro PowerBox V2 which distributes power to the mount, camera, and NUC and works as a USB hub for the Camera, filter wheel, router, and guidescope. It also works as the focus controller for the Pegasus Motor Focus.
So with this setup, I only have one power cable that drops off the mount to the battery sitting below.

Oh, I forgot to mention this, the NUC requires 19v power and the Pegasus Astro Power Box V2 only outputs 12v so in the photo you will see part of a small inverter on the guide rail between the stack and the guidescope.
That is a 12v-19v step-up inverter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0 ... UTF8&psc=1
It would be nice if Pegasus made the computer power output on the box a variable output because I struggled looking for a NUC that ran on 12v. The only ones I found were using the much less powerful Celeron processor. My NUC is this i3 model which has easily taken care of the task.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087D ... UTF8&psc=1
very nice, cheers for the link on the inverter, yeah 12v laptops and mini pc,s can sometimes be a pain to find. i'll keep some of your gear in mind incase i go onsite for imaging, i do have a 12v mini pc ,but no screen or wireless ascess for it on it's own, so that little tp link usb router looks like a good solution .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Wow Greg, nice setup - love to see the images you can achieve with this. Great that you agreed on this as a couple, as negotiations can be worse than Brexit in my household :lol:

Have fun.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Greg. Wow, that's a beautiful work of art. An ED152 is a refractor fan's dream machine. Thanks for sharing your new (to you) equipment report with us Greg and also the great included photos, and keep us posted on your next outing with this fine instrument.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
dagadget United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by dagadget »

LOL a 152 Refractor is awesome and he will enjoy it just like I do mine.
Astro-Tech AT 152EDT Ioptron GEM 45 Mount AKA FracZilla
Celestron C11 Carbon Fiber CGEM II Mount AKA Cloudzilla
Sky Watcher Mak Cas 180 Ioptron IEQ 30 AKA MoonZilla
AT 92 on IEQ 30 Pro AKA ClusterZilla
Home Made 8 inch Newtonian Reflector on Rocker Box AKA Scopezilla
Celestron 4 1/2 114 mm Newtonian Telescope 910 F/L GT Mount AKA Frankenscope.

David