Picked up this little beauty today.

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Picked up this little beauty today.

Post by Gmetric »

I have been looking for a long focal length achromatic refractor with an objective lens of around 80 to 100mm mark for a while to do some visual work on planets and because I wanted a long telescope. Ideally, I wanted to get one that met the Sidgwick standard with a focal ratio (F) greater than 3 times diameter (inches). That way, it would ensure that it would be fairly well corrected for chromatic aberration and achieve diffraction limit performance. A good standard to go for without being too unwieldy to use. Yes, I could have settled for a higher ratio and headed towards the Conrady standard but not without making things a little too unwieldy. For example, a 100mm objective that meets the Conrady standard would have an F ratio of F20 to be >5.0 on the Conrady standard. That's a 2m telescope! Hence, I opted to try and find one that would fall within the Sidgwick standard, which would be tolerable for CA and manageable in terms of use.

After much searching without much luck, deliberating and procrastinating on whether I should opt for a small objective diameter, say, 60mm and or semi-apo capability but, pay more money, I decided to stick by my guns. And as luck would have it, I saw a 90mm x 1000m Vixen achromatic refractor being advertised for a lowly 15000 yen, which is 135 USD or 98 GBP at today's conversion rate. A positive snatch! This also met my criteria having a Sidgwick ratio of >3.0. So, I placed my bid and sat back, hoping that no one else would instigate a bidding war on it. The day before yesterday, my bid went through without challenge, and today the new edition to my collection arrived.

As we all know, buying from auction sites can be risky, especially when trying to obtain quality glass. So as soon as it arrived, I gave it a thorough going over. Of course, It's not perfect, and there are one or two little scratches here and there on the barrel, but the objective lens, finder scope and focuser are all in excellent condition, few!!!

As mentioned, the telescope is a Vixen achromatic refractor with a 90mm fully coated (not multi-coated) objective at 1000mm, giving it an F ratio of F11.11 and a Sidgwick ratio of 3.135, meeting the criteria of >3.0. Furthermore, this telescope was manufactured in Japan and uses Japanese glass. So, I'm expecting it to be a good performer.

Hopefully, the rainy season will finish soon so that I can get out and use it.

CA vs objective diameter vs Focal length.jpg
IMG 1.jpg
IMG 2.jpg
IMG 3.jpg
IMG 4.jpg
IMG 5.jpg
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
Mount: Sky-Explorer HEQ 5 belt driven
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Picked up this little beauty today.

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Congratulations on the happy acquisition! First light soon, I hope. Take care through the tsuyu.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:50 am Congratulations on the happy acquisition! First light soon, I hope. Take care through the tsuyu.
Thank you, nFA. I hope for a first light soon too. Do you have any recommendations for eyepieces for planetary viewing?
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Telescopes: Sky-Watcher ED72II, Sky-Watcher PDS130, Sky-Explorer SN F4 200mm astrograph and Vixen F11.1 90mm
Cameras: Nikon D5300 modded, Canon Kiss X8i modded, Cooled Canon kiss X4 modded, Atik 16IC and 383 colour, ASI120MC, QHY5LII
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Wow - nice find, sounds like quite the steal.

I hope you get a chance to use it soon.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

It should be a great scope. With Vixen's reputation and the scopes focal ratio, it should be sharp as a tack! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Gmetric wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:55 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:50 am Congratulations on the happy acquisition! First light soon, I hope. Take care through the tsuyu.
Thank you, nFA. I hope for a first light soon too. Do you have any recommendations for eyepieces for planetary viewing?
I use the KK Orthoscopics, Baader Classic Orthoscopics, and Vixen NPLs happily.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Sweet!
Decent long achros are indeed a rare find these days.

Congratulations!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Very nice and a good price to top it of , looks like new
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 pm Wow - nice find, sounds like quite the steal.

I hope you get a chance to use it soon.
Thanks, seems like a steal and the optics are clean so it should be good. :)
MistrBadgr wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 pm It should be a great scope. With Vixen's reputation and the scopes focal ratio, it should be sharp as a tack! :)
That"s what I'm hoping for. I might even try and see if it's possible to image a planet with it. ;)
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:32 pm
I was hoping you'd mention NPLs :)...I have some, haven't used them for ages but it'll be nice to give them a whirl.
Ylem wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:45 pm Sweet!
Decent long achros are indeed a rare find these days.

Congratulations!
Indeed they are and finding scopes that fall within the Sidgwick standard or greater are rarer still.

Richard wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:08 pm Very nice and a good price to top it of , looks like new
I was happy with the price, given its general state. Generally, anything not Japanese tends to go cheaper or is bought at lower prices, anything Japanese tends to be of higher value (The Japanese are quite nationalistic and patriotic) so I was lucky to get it for the price I did.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Gmetric wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 am As mentioned, the telescope is a Vixen achromatic refractor with a 90mm fully coated (not multi-coated) objective at 1000mm, giving it an F ratio of F11.11 and a Sidgwick ratio of 3.135, meeting the criteria of >3.0. Furthermore, this telescope was manufactured in Japan and uses Japanese glass. So, I'm expecting it to be a good performer.

うわー! (Sugoi = wow!) I am not going use what little Japanese I remember from my three years at Kawasaki USA and Honda America. will just say, "Congratulations, nice catch!"

I captured the chart, but where did it come from?

Thanks!
MIke M.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's a really sweet find; good for you! Planet-killer for sure! I have an old orange-tube and a black tube C80's made by Vixen; I still love the views. I'm sure you will be pleased with your find; hope you get first light soon!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats! This is a great find. It should work nicely not just on planets and Moon but also for splitting doubles. I endorse nFA EPs recommendations and also like to add Vixen SLVs to the list. Good quality Plossls work great in refractors to.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

mikemarotta wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:37 pm
Gmetric wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 am As mentioned, the telescope is a Vixen achromatic refractor with a 90mm fully coated (not multi-coated) objective at 1000mm, giving it an F ratio of F11.11 and a Sidgwick ratio of 3.135, meeting the criteria of >3.0. Furthermore, this telescope was manufactured in Japan and uses Japanese glass. So, I'm expecting it to be a good performer.

うわー! (Sugoi = wow!) I am not going use what little Japanese I remember from my three years at Kawasaki USA and Honda America. will just say, "Congratulations, nice catch!"

I captured the chart, but where did it come from?

Thanks!
MIke M.
ありがとうございます。あなたの日本語素晴らしいです. :) I found the chart on another forum posted by a vendor; it seems accurate enough. Although, there is no reference from which to trace the charts origins. He does say "The chart is based on the typical crown/flint doublet and does not take into account high-end materials like FPL-53 or other exotic glasses that can more tightly control CA".

Did you enjoy your days at Kawasaki and Honda?
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:03 pm That's a really sweet find; good for you! Planet-killer for sure! I have an old orange-tube and a black tube C80's made by Vixen; I still love the views. I'm sure you will be pleased with your find; hope you get first light soon!

All the best,
Thanks, FatKitt :) ...I picked up an Orange C8 that was also C80's a while back. That was a great scope which I sadly had to part with. I kind of regret getting rid of it, but at the time, I had no space. However, I am looking forward to planetary view with this one, though. ;)
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Congrats! This is a great find. It should work nicely not just on planets and Moon but also for splitting doubles. I endorse nFA EPs recommendations and also like to add Vixen SLVs to the list. Good quality Plossls work great in refractors to.
Thanks :) ...Ah, yes, I hadn't thought much about splitting doubles, but now that you mention it, that's a darn good idea. :). I'll give the SLVs a shot too. I should be able to pick them up for a good price.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Gmetric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm ありがとうございます。あなたの日本語素晴らしいです. :)
I had to run it through Google Translate, but once I read the roman-ji, it was obvious. I had two college classes in Japanese for business before working for Kawaski Robotics USA for two years. I was a trainer and technical writer for programming and opertation. I translated parts lists and even answered the phones and directed calls after hours.

Kawasaki and Honda had different operating cultures about being in America. At KRI, there was a gulf, although at KRI there were more Americans attuned Japanese language and culture. At Honda, we all dressed alike and did exercises together in the morning.

Just to day, Japanese was then my third best language behind English and German. I have worked for three different German firms over the years - Zeiss, Kapsch, and Electro-Optical Systems; translating for the first and third as icing on the cake for my role as a trainer and technical writer - and they, too, had different views of transnational operations.
Gmetric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm I found the chart on another forum posted by a vendor; it seems accurate enough.
Yes, it seemed intuitively correct, but I was just wondering about the citation. I think that it is "good-to-know" information. We have gotten away from long tubes with a preference for the compact carryability of so-called "fast" systems. I prefer a longer focus and this gives me a better understanding of why. My National Geographic 70 mm is held together with rubber bands, but it is an f/10 over the Explore Scientific 102 and Astro-Tech 115 which are f/6.5 and f/7 respectively.

PS -- I just went out googling on a hunch and if a longer focal length for a higher f/ratio is what I want, I have a lot of choices! I even made a /folder for some of them.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Very nice refractor and you got it for a bargain as well! Congrats!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

StarBru wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:56 pm Very nice refractor and you got it for a bargain as well! Congrats!
Thank you :)
mikemarotta wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:26 pm
Gmetric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm ありがとうございます。あなたの日本語素晴らしいです. :)
I had to run it through Google Translate, but once I read the roman-ji, it was obvious. I had two college classes in Japanese for business before working for Kawaski Robotics USA for two years. I was a trainer and technical writer for programming and opertation. I translated parts lists and even answered the phones and directed calls after hours.

Kawasaki and Honda had different operating cultures about being in America. At KRI, there was a gulf, although at KRI there were more Americans attuned Japanese language and culture. At Honda, we all dressed alike and did exercises together in the morning.

Just to day, Japanese was then my third best language behind English and German. I have worked for three different German firms over the years - Zeiss, Kapsch, and Electro-Optical Systems; translating for the first and third as icing on the cake for my role as a trainer and technical writer - and they, too, had different views of transnational operations.
Gmetric wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pm I found the chart on another forum posted by a vendor; it seems accurate enough.
Yes, it seemed intuitively correct, but I was just wondering about the citation. I think that it is "good-to-know" information. We have gotten away from long tubes with a preference for the compact carryability of so-called "fast" systems. I prefer a longer focus and this gives me a better understanding of why. My National Geographic 70 mm is held together with rubber bands, but it is an f/10 over the Explore Scientific 102 and Astro-Tech 115 which are f/6.5 and f/7 respectively.

PS -- I just went out googling on a hunch and if a longer focal length for a higher f/ratio is what I want, I have a lot of choices! I even made a /folder for some of them.
I thought you might recognize it as it's a pretty standard compliment even if one says "おはようございます" (good morning), you'll be told, "Wow, your Japanese is amazing." I'm a little surprised about KRI as I've always found Kawasaki employees a little more flexible with their approach to western culture. But Honda, well, lol, yep, that's Honda; amazing company though. There are still many companies here that gather for their daily morning exercise, called 'ラジオ体操' (radio taiso), and speech about the day's expectations.

I understand what you are saying about translations; so much can be lost in the process if one isn't careful. I'm currently reading 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius. A good read, but there are some terrible translations of it floating around.

I'm glad the chart helps, and as you say, it's "good-to-know." and an easy and quick reference when needed.

I have a few long focal length choices here, too, but not so many that fell within my given criteria. There are some 60, 65 and 80mm Takahashi scopes that were all getting closer to the Conrady standard and with a price that matched, lol.
Arry (Bortle 7 area)

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Gmetric wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:59 am
I'm glad the chart helps, and as you say, it's "good-to-know." and an easy and quick reference when needed.
I have a few long focal length choices here, too, but not so many that fell within my given criteria. There are some 60, 65 and 80mm Takahashi scopes that were all getting closer to the Conrady standard and with a price that matched, lol.
It would be helpful to all who come here if you could publish that in a topic forum. I just downloaded the Mount Payload Spreadsheet from JayTee and I am going to recommend to the Moderators that they create a no-discussion top-level directory for that, yours on long focal lengths if you provide it, and others like those that have been posted here. They are all a valuable resource for all amateurs and certainly an attractor to this site for those surfing the web for information on specifications and technical details.

Best Regards (and Clear Skies!),
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Gmetric Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gmetric »

Quick firstlight post :)

I could get out for an hour on the 26th and do a quick visual and, for fun/experimental purposes, run a 1 x 3000 frame video using the QHY5LII through a 2x Barlow and vixen diagonal prism. The seeing wasn't ideal as the temperature and humidity are high here, and the moon was pretty close by. Still, I am impressed by the lack of colour fringe and how well corrected this telescope is, given that it's not an expensive Apochromatic telescope. I used: 32mm, 20mm, 12mm, and 8mm Plossl eyepieces. The 12mm and 8mm had the best mix of magnification and sharpness, the 8mm was at the limits of magnification, and the 4mm was just too much, given the atmospherics.

Here is a quick image with postprocessing. Stacked with Autostakkert, wavelets with Registax 6 and further processing with Photoshop 2020. I need to get the focusing dialled in, TBH the focuser needs some work on it to smooth it out as it's a bit notchy, but this image isn't too bad for a quick test.
Jupiter on 26th with Vixen 90mm F11.1 and QHY5LII camera.jpg
Jupiter on 26th with Vixen 90mm F11.1 and QHY5LII camera.jpg (13.97 KiB) Viewed 9319 times
Arry (Bortle 7 area)