AT-60ED, how is yours?

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

AT-60ED, how is yours?

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I got this AT-60ED (FPL-53) a few weeks ago. Star testing is so-so, by my estimate, about 1/4 wave SA under corrected, a little better than that if I use a prism diagonal.
Nevertheless, at focus, at 90x, using a 4mm "planetary" EP from Agena, I was able to get clean splits of Porrima, Algieba, and Castor. I could see the orientation of the pairs of Epsilon Lyrae.
No false color seen, even on the moon.
The focuser is good, solid, and smooth. Fit and finish is excellent. The dew shield slides smoothly without drooping.

Used terrestrially, at 72x, it seems to be excellent, with essentially perfect definition, and no false color, even on tree limbs silhouetted against the bright sky.

I drilled a short Vixen style dovetail, and bolted it to the "foot", using the existing 1/4-20 threaded holes, so I could mount it to my UA Microstar alt-az mount, or any other mount taking a Vixen dovetail. It balances towards the focuser end, the front end being rather light.

It seems to be a great "grab and go", very portable, for quick looks at bright objects, and for terrestrial use as a spotter with a 45 degree erecting prism.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.