Design or optical quality???

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
TareqPhoto United Arab Emirates
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Design or optical quality???

Post by TareqPhoto »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:41 am I did a bit of reading on different refractors you listed, the Takahashi from every review I read rated it highly except for the R&P focuser.
It has a bit of slop that nobody could fully get rid of without replacing the focuser. Optically an excellent refractor.

The Askar seems to have a following but even the website says 'virtually eliminates almost all CA' wonderful marketing speak :)
If you are good with processing I would imagine it would not be hard to clean up the image if it is required.

Other than the Vixen 55mm I think you will have a hard time finding one that will fit into the focal length range you posted above.
Well, the focuser is always an issue, that is why people changing stock focusers to something as high quality, i can do that later, but a focuser is something and the scope quality itself is something else, i don't think if i put Feather Touch on my ST80 achromatic refractor it will be a match to Takahashi APO anyway, i am not very beginner to not know what it is meaning to have a scope and a nice focuser, i did buy an autofocuser so i can use it for the main scope, i ordered a triplet already since October and still waiting, but i can't spend too much for the second scope again, i don't care about long focal length because i have scopes covering that already, i only think about 300mm focal length with like +-20mm more or less at most.

I will look more at that Vixen 55mm, will read more and see reviews and also see results and examples, after all images is what i use as a deciding factor no matter from where it was taken or how, if i can see many images of the targets i want from this scope then the search is finish and came to end, thanks to you, if i am unable to see more results around then i will consider this scope as any other scope even from Chinese makers, no images mean no one is interested in the scope regardless about its design or quality, and i want broadband[LRGB or OSC camera] results not narrowbanding results.
    Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
      Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo
        Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
          Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
            Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC