ES ED-102 Focus Distance; EP and Camera

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

ES ED-102 Focus Distance; EP and Camera

Post by a100171 »

With my recent outings using my Explore Scientific ED-102, I ran into a couple issues with focus distance.

Using a standard 2" EP (in this case, an ES 25mm 70-degree EP) and a quality William Optics 2" diagonal, focus could not be achieved through the EP without the use of a tube extender. I was also able to get focus if I lifted the EP up in the diagonal a little bit. I happened to have 2" extenders, so it was not that much of a problem visually, and the views with the combination were stellar (pun intended).

Determined to get some pics of the Great Nebula, I elected to try using the Celestron Nightscape 8300 camera. The software loaded fine, the camera operated fine, but it seemed that no combination of extenders I had would get this into focus. Fidgeting around at sub 20 degree weather, I got close, but not close enough. I wanted to just get it focused/framed and let a few dozen/hundred snaps go to disk.

I am also a bit concerned with flexure from the focuser and a bunch of extension tubes. This is the stock focuser in the 102. The 8300 is not a light thing. I was hoping not to need a new Moonlite focuser for her.

I do have one of the Astro Tech 0.8x focal reducers (not mounted) on the shelf, but never used it.
Will this spare me external tube differences?

This is the older (it is 2 or 3 years old) ED-102. It is a 714mm focal length scope.

I would be interested in some feedback here. I have never had problems with my SCTs, or even the SNs in the past. It just seems like they made the tube a little short.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ES ED-102 Focus Distance; EP and Camera

Post by Bigzmey »

It is quite common for ED/APO scopes to make tube shorter than needed for EPs. This is to accommodate cameras for AP. Typically you would need 2" extension tube to get EPs in focus and you remove the extension tube to achieve the focus with camera.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ES ED-102 Focus Distance; EP and Camera

Post by SkyHiker »

I often lift the eyepiece up in the diagonal instead of having to insert an extender. Not a problem for visual, I think.

I had to tune my ED127CF focuser. If you take the focuser wheel off the focuser you may see some hidden setting screws. Check those and tighten them if needed. Higher up where the inner tube slides into the end of the focuser tube there may also be some setting screws, same story. To make those screws work better and add stability, add an extender so the upper part of the inner tube is always covered by setting screws. After I did all this my focuser worked much better, and I never had to re-adjust anything. Search CN for this (not my post but someone else's with pictures).

If you switch from visual to AP you generally need fewer extenders. You may want to remove the diagonal, that should help a bunch too. I hope your camera has an articulating screen.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images