Behold the Mark mk. II

Discuss your refractor type scopes here.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Behold the Mark mk. II

Post by Kanadalainen »

The scope is unchanged but I drilled the 76 mm rings that I had lying around, and tapped them for 1/4" x 20.

6 anodized screws at 120* orientation to locate the guide scope.

An hour later, voila, the rare Tasco guide scope Mark mk II.

Click on this to expand.

IMG_6438.JPG
The beauty of this arrangement is that I can put the guide/finder exactly where it needs to be for FOV.

This is the little camera that will detect the tracking stars.
IMG_2264.JPG

Thanks for reading to the bottom! :P
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Behold the Mark mk. II

Post by Juno16 »

Fun stuff! Really nice handiwork Ian!

Just curious, what is the fl of the Tasco?

Do you plan to use PHD2?

I enjoy watching the capture software catching images and dithering (in my case APT) with the PHD2 guiding graphics running in a split screen.

Kind of like beautiful music! Have fun!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice mods Ian!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow Ian, you've done a great job there! Love the rings and the mods to them, very clever. I say that scope is better off in your hands for sure :D

I hope it works as well as the mods you've done; am looking forward to hearing about that. BTW, I measured it out when I had it and it's at f/7, as are my other two like it.

Passe un bon fin du semain, mon chum!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 pm Fun stuff! Really nice handiwork Ian!

Just curious, what is the fl of the Tasco?

Do you plan to use PHD2?

I enjoy watching the capture software catching images and dithering (in my case APT) with the PHD2 guiding graphics running in a split screen.

Kind of like beautiful music! Have fun!
Thanks Jim!

The tasco appears to be of an fl of 360mm - thus is a fairly fast f6...nice for finding/guiding. I’ve used it a number of times for finding and it’s very good.

I have a new rig that I can run off my tablet - an ASIair pro. It’s a raspberry Pi processor and has a very PhD2 style tracking mode.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:48 pmNice mods Ian!
Thanks Andrey!
Ian

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:14 am Wow Ian, you've done a great job there! Love the rings and the mods to them, very clever. I say that scope is better off in your hands for sure :D

I hope it works as well as the mods you've done; am looking forward to hearing about that. BTW, I measured it out when I had it and it's at f/7, as are my other two like it.

Salut Mark!

I’m not sure this grasshopper can catch the pebble from the hand of the master just yet! 8-) :D

Oh OK - an f7 - that sounds right. I know the images I get are nicely corrected with not much colour.

I’m off to Calgary for a few days with a UHaul to collect Our youngest kid ~ he’s coming home as his next semesters are all Online.

A bientot mon ami
I
Ian

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Kanadalainen wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:28 pm
Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:14 am Wow Ian, you've done a great job there! Love the rings and the mods to them, very clever. I say that scope is better off in your hands for sure :D

Salut Mark!

I’m not sure this grasshopper can catch the pebble from the hand of the master just yet! 8-) :D

Oh OK - an f7 - that sounds right. I know the images I get are nicely corrected with not much colour.

I’m off to Calgary for a few days with a UHaul to collect Our youngest kid ~ he’s coming home as his next semesters are all Online.

A bientot mon ami
I
Hey again Ian,

Well, this is embarrassing... I don't know why I had it in my head it's at f/7, I just took a measurement of the one I have and you're quite right, it's really f/6 :oops: I blame my advancing senility... :lol:

That should be a nice road trip; I envy you. Hope everything goes well!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Mark.

The trip has been busy!! 4 years of living in Calgary yields a major collection of goodies. The van is packed :popcorn: and we hit the highway tomorrow.

I
Ian

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good for you Ian!
Kanadalainen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:43 pm a major collection of goodies
:lol: Well, think of it as added traction...

Safe trip & all the best,
Mark

Solar:

Member of the RASC